+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vixtrola's *Guide* to Rank 4 PVP!

Default Vixtrola's *Guide* to Rank 4 PVP!

I'm writing this to try and help people from completely giving up on PVP. I'm currently rank 4 and have tried every spec I can think of to have an enjoyable experience in warfronts/open world pvp and not just get destroyed by people in 2 seconds while still be able to take down people of equal or lesser and sometimes of +1 prestige ranks.

Our biggest strength we have in the early ranks is stealth. Stealth allows us to try and pick our targets and keeps us from getting two shoted. Make sure you have it set to see your targets HP number. Besides what gear they have on this allows you to see if the target is even worth engaging. See a warrior with 7-10k hp don't even bother.. Actually any class with that much HP I don't bother unless its a rogue:P. But generally now in most cases under 6kHp I can win if they are alone no matter what class.

I do not run 51Sin/15Inf while its an ok spec for ganking fresh 50's it doesn't really do well to equally geared people in warfronts. Also I see many people running high NB's I found while the defensive cooldowns are nice it just doesn't provide the burst needed to take most people down and while Ebon can give you some its only once every two min. So besides stealth another key element in warfronts is control and since we are not warriors being able to keep people from smacking the crap out of us for as long as possible while pouring out some DPS really is the key. The best soul we have for this is Bladedancer. Bladedancer gives us a reactive stun, inter/silence, and a disarm for these purposes.

Another huge reason for this combo is of course deadly dance. This talent alone is really the only way to pump up our damage enough on a consistent basis to not be completely cooldown depending and still be able to take people out. Anyway you combine what you get from Bladedancer with two stun options from Sin + the heavy bleeds and you really got something. The one drawback is lack of range when I was putting together the build I went back and forth trying to see if putting points int INF or Ranger was more effective and in the end 6 into Ranger for me outweighs points into INF. Losing break free hurts but I been able to deal with it and find ranger just adds so much more.

Ok so now for the build
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...VbdNzoRR0d.V0o

you could move some points around and perhaps take blinding powder if you like but I found myself forgetting to use it most the time so I just left it out.

My macros. I like to macro in a lot.. some people say its dumb but in pvp things are so fast paced I try and have as few extra buttons as possible. only use two macros currently

Spammer!
    #show Disengage
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Disengage
    cast Poison Malice
    cast Blade Tempo
    cast Backstab
    cast Puncture
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike
    cast Flash of Steel
    cast Splinter Shot
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Quick Shot
    cast Reprisal

Finisher!
    #show Deadly Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Deadly Strike
    cast Head Shot

Basic strategy against equal rank or below don't even bother with rank6-8's if you are rank 4.

Cleric/Mage- Open with Jagged --> Spammer! to 5 CP---> Impale. Now depends on there hp if they are around 5khp or less this opening sequence will leave them around 60% or so. I will generally follow up with a foul play ---> spammer!(to 5CP)--->Finisher!--->Spammer! I can usually kill a lot of people with just this. If they break free from my foul play I have a few options if they are dumb enough to try and cast something not instant ill silence them and finish them off with spammer!--->finisher! If not I may slip away open with paralyze and try to finish them off. If they are immune to that I need to hope I get a few good crits in and usually can drop them. Some really good clerics are able to get away but its to be expected.

Warrior/Rogue- Strategy is more or less the same. Jagged --> Spammer! to 5 CP---> Impale. With melee you almost will always get a few dodges in right off the bat which will trigger disengage. Run back behind them while stunned and pour on the damage with your macro's. If they break free and start hitting you disarm them. A lot of times just these two give you plenty of time to get enough dps in to drop most rogues I face. Warriors generally take awhile longer(and sometimes disarm just doesn't work or they break it) but strategy remains the same. If they are particularly tough I have slip and reopen with another jagged and foul play if they aren't immune. Don't forget about side steps also.. if you are fighting them for more than 20 seconds(which is very rare) and blade tempo exhaustion is up don't forget to pop blade tempo. Also with the ranged attacks from ranger and flash of steel I never really have many issues at all with people getting away unless they get a jump on me but this build is all about getting the jump on them

The lack of heal debuff is a problem but every build I tried with 15 INF or with 32NB just didn't have the utility I needed to take out people without being completely cooldown dependent.

This is a 1v1 spec saying that you should be able to take down a couple lower ranks pretty easily as long as no healer is around.

Hopefully this helps some people out and really hoping rogues get some buffs in the upcoming 1.5 so we have more viable pvp builds.

Also as a side note I only do PUG warfronts if you want to do premades you could just go 44MM and coordinate your eradicate but that's just not for me....

Soulwalker

You use cast Precision Strike in macro but that skill only activates upon using keen strike first

Going to try this out without such a reliance on macros.

Quote Originally Posted by jihadthisfilth View Post
    You use cast Precision Strike in macro but that skill only activates upon using keen strike first
    yes of course it will skip it on the first pass then after keen strike goes off precision will fire same with quick strike
    Last edited by sanosuke; 08-20-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INCdex View Post
    Going to try this out without such a reliance on macros.
    yea you dont need to macro in half the stuff I do.. but just how I like it but should work just fine binding everything

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    yea you dont need to macro in half the stuff I do.. but just how I like it but should work just fine binding everything
    I used to pvp without any macros when I started off. macros do make life a lot easier i use them all the time now

Quote Originally Posted by jihadthisfilth View Post
    I used to pvp without any macros when I started off. macros do make life a lot easier i use them all the time now
    especially for pvp.. sad though warrior can literally macro everything into two macros.. i think on my warrior i had maybe 5 buttons total and that was pushing it.. my rogue even with macros i have 10 or so

Tried to make a video but for some reason it stops recording after like 2 min everytime not sure why never had any issues before.....

just an update trying to decide how to spend last few points and where it may be most useful. I have been running this now http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...R.VbdAzoRR0d.V
    and with 15% more dex from sab adding onto the 15% from blade found it to be more useful than the +5crit from ranger and adhesive bomb really helps a ton.. on top of that 5 charges-->detonate hits for a ton more than headshot so i dunno will keep trying combos but like this one little more than my original

Rift Disciple

Reprisal will never go off if it is after instacast skills

Quote Originally Posted by Rosspring View Post
    yes it does its off gcd so as long as you are spamming the button it will go off just like any other off global
    Last edited by sanosuke; 08-21-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Champion

These are all good sin/bd builds. My variant is 34sin, 21bd, 11 nb because it hits slightly harder for me atm, has the most useful ranged CP builder, and has lost hope. The one thing this spec can do that other sin/bd builds can't is stack jagged strike, impale, and 3 fiery spikes before doing a Deadly Strike rotations for small window of decent damage.

The 32sin/29bd/5sab build isn't far behind for me currently though. In full r5-6 items my BD abilities hit for nearly identical amounts but Sin abilities were noticeably less. Having Turn the Tide up and r7-8 gear could change that.

What I want to try is 32sin, 27 bd, 7sab (for Blast Charge armor pierce). This is pretty much the same build but for killing healers, the idea would be to stack DoTs and 4 blast charges to be able to stun, Deadly Strike, add 5th charge, and detonate for 2 big hits in 3 GCDs.

The ideal rotation would be something complicated like Jagged->Puncture->Imapale->Blast Charge x4->Keen Strike->Deadly Strike->Precision Strike->Puncture->Backstab->Deadly Strike->Blast Charge->Detonate.

I like it. I'm 40 assassin, rest into BD now on my 47 rogue. 0 point Ranger.

It works good but I like the ideas you stuck in there. A few things:

Paralyzing Strike into Puncture > Deadly Strike to Slip Away will let you get your next Jagged/Puncture and Backstab with Deadly Dance on them. You can then toss Impale on and they'll bleed hard.

Also Deadly Dance with your Charges/Detonate might be pretty fun to watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by rennlc View Post
    These are all good sin/bd builds. My variant is 34sin, 21bd, 11 nb because it hits slightly harder for me atm, has the most useful ranged CP builder, and has lost hope. The one thing this spec can do that other sin/bd builds can't is stack jagged strike, impale, and 3 fiery spikes before doing a Deadly Strike rotations for small window of decent damage.

The 32sin/29bd/5sab build isn't far behind for me currently though. In full r5-6 items my BD abilities hit for nearly identical amounts but Sin abilities were noticeably less. Having Turn the Tide up and r7-8 gear could change that.

What I want to try is 32sin, 27 bd, 7sab (for Blast Charge armor pierce). This is pretty much the same build but for killing healers, the idea would be to stack DoTs and 4 blast charges to be able to stun, Deadly Strike, add 5th charge, and detonate for 2 big hits in 3 GCDs.

The ideal rotation would be something complicated like Jagged->Puncture->Imapale->Blast Charge x4->Keen Strike->Deadly Strike->Precision Strike->Puncture->Backstab->Deadly Strike->Blast Charge->Detonate.
    never tried that NB one... i do like having disarm though from blade though.. although it seems warriors still are a pain either way I have issues especially if they are high riftblade since all my dots cause damage back to me. I was dueling a warrior from my guild last night and he was tearing me up with his rank 4 rb... I really need to get R6 and give this all a try with the better weapons but got little ways to go for that:P

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Rosspring View Post
    All off GCD attacks will go off in order they are given regardless where they fall with the on GCD attacks.

However, reprisal and disengage will not fire off of the same parry/dodge but they will fire off of consecutive dodge/parrys because of the internal CD on each attack.

the macro works fine, use it and abuse it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast