+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob rogue questions

Default Noob rogue questions

Hi,
    I have some questions about rogue builds.

What's the main difference between marksman / ranger?
    I don't know where to put most of my points into. I don't really get the difference. Just different skills?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Mcx0b.EGc0u00o
    Would this be a build? Very hybrid, but I'm loving the assassin passives.

Also, would the 50% chance on double shooting @ autoattack talent be worth it? or just spam skills 24/7? even in raids?

Another question;

Are rogue tanks (riftstalker) any good in level 45-50 /t1/t2 dungeons? they could do well enough at level 20-30, but higher? at least not as good as tanks, but alot of attacks to improve armor.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...uVzozoR.xhz.xh
    Viable build?

And,

What's the main difference between Assassins and Nightblades?
    Assassins are quite stealthy backstabby kind of ninja's,
    and Nightblades dual bladed rogues. More dpsy and non-stealthy?

God, I'm the kind of person wich needs to fully play "Every talent" 1-50 to fully understand it.

Sorry for the questions and crappy writing

Thanks alot <3

Too many questions really.

Best bet is to goto here: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...um-rogues.html

Most of you answers will lie there.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbz View Post
    Main difference is that Rangers rely on a portable tank (ie, their pet; switching to a DPS pet for parties, usually) to keep things at bay while they do their damage, while Marksmen are meant to be almost constantly in motion, kiting their foes.

I don't know where to put most of my points into. I don't really get the difference. Just different skills?
    If you want to rely on your pet, then Ranger should be getting most of the points. If you want to use the pets past 30, you'll need a minimum of 24 points to get the Greater Razorbeast (can't remember what the greater DPS pet's at or where the lizard pet is). Later talents, of course, would make it more effective - but 24's enough to have a decent tank. If you don't care about the pet past level 30, then 6 points into Ranger (for +crit% and the +AP toggle buff) and the rest in MM.

[quote[Are rogue tanks (riftstalker) any good in level 45-50 /t1/t2 dungeons? they could do well enough at level 20-30, but higher? at least not as good as tanks, but alot of attacks to improve armor.[/quote]

Riftstalkers are fine. They seem to require the most player skill out of the various tank specs, though.

Well, they're both dual-blade souls. Main difference is that Assassins are mostly physical melee with a heavy emphasis on stealth while Nightblades are mostly elemental (which ignores armor and there isn't really much resistance on foes, I hear) with less reliance on stealthy openers and more ranged damage.
    Last edited by Mr JD Gumby; 08-18-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Ooo thanks, this really helps alot.
    Sorry for all the questions,
    but, Aren't nightblades more useful in pvp, since they ignore armor?
    And, marksman do more dmg then rangers?

Also, tanks are useful until level 50 @ instances? heard they are to hard to keep them alive

Champion of Telara

Ranger does more DPS, but they need a pet to be as effective as they can be. Dont pay any attention to that though, because DPS doesnt matter in PvP. You want single target burst which MM are better at especially when you consider their CDs. MM also have superior maneuverability.

Nightblades are good, but it doesnt really have to do with their non physicall damage. Assassins rely on stealth NBs rely on CDs. NBs have a lot CDs and are more fun if you ask me. They also are more suited t group play with their survivabillity CDs where as the Assasin is more suited to picking of loners.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahrken View Post
    Ranger does more DPS, but they need a pet to be as effective as they can be. Dont pay any attention to that though, because DPS doesnt matter in PvP. You want single target burst which MM are better at especially when you consider their CDs. MM also have superior maneuverability.

Nightblades are good, but it doesnt really have to do with their non physicall damage. Assassins rely on stealth NBs rely on CDs. NBs have a lot CDs and are more fun if you ask me. They also are more suited t group play with their survivabillity CDs where as the Assasin is more suited to picking of loners.

Oooh, clears up alot .
    Just wondering; NB/Assassin dps difference? Wich has more dps in instances etc?^^ or neither is too useful for it?

Shadowlander

I can't really say much about raid dps, but sins have a lot of positional damage. So if you spec and attack from back I expect you would do more damage single target on sin vs ns. I think most people doing raids go sab though.

For fast burst damage and CC sins do very well in pvp. Like others have said NB have a lot of CD moves and they have a lot of flexibility in pvp. Once the sins are visible and 8-10 seconds into a fight...they have already hit their top burst. Unless they slip away and start over.

Nightblades have ranged attacks as well (the conceit is they throw fiery or shade knives at people ... they have a ranged finisher, it's a flaming axe). They also have basic stealth and some control abilities; in short they're a hybrid type. It's really up to you. You should stop worrying what's "best" just play what you enjoy; play it well and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechant View Post
    I can't really say much about raid dps, but sins have a lot of positional damage. So if you spec and attack from back I expect you would do more damage single target on sin vs ns. I think most people doing raids go sab though.
    Most melee raid builds spec deep enough into Assassin to pick up Puncture and Backstab anyway. I've tried tri-spec with emphasis on both Nightblade and Assassin, and they both come out more or less even.

Basically there's two talents that are pretty much essential (Deadly Dance from Bladedancer, and Magnify Pain from Assasin) which dictates about half of your points before you even start. Then you either go Saboteur for your third soul (which gives you sabdancer) or a trispec build with Nightblade. If you're going trispec, there's a few different choices for what you do with the rest of your points, but they all come out about the same with just minor variations in which combo builders you use.

Plane Touched

Ranger is a ranged pet-based soul, while Marksman is a ranged burst soul (pedestals notwithstanding). They do have good synergy together, though, being the two ranged souls. Each gives you different abilities and bonuses, you'll just have to look at them and figure out what goes together. It's important to remember that you don't have to use every ability from every tree in any build.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Mcx0b.EGc0u00o
    Would this be a build? Very hybrid, but I'm loving the assassin passives.
    Yes, that's a build (everything is a build ). Certainly it could use a lot of streamlining however. Try this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0b.VGsf0cosoMz
    Also, would the 50% chance on double shooting @ autoattack talent be worth it? or just spam skills 24/7? even in raids?
    There are other talents that are better bonuses than Doubleshot.
    Are rogue tanks (riftstalker) any good in level 45-50 /t1/t2 dungeons? they could do well enough at level 20-30, but higher? at least not as good as tanks, but alot of attacks to improve armor.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...uVzozoR.xhz.xh
    Viable build?
    Sure, but due to how riftstalker mitigation works (Endurance and Rift Guard effectiveness scales according to points in the tree), you'll want to go 51 points into it. Try this:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...IuqdRkkR.xb.xh
    Riftstalker is effective all the way through the t1 raids (GSB/RoS/GP/DH). In HK they fall far behind due to poor physical mitigation scaling.
    Assassins are the stereotypical "hide in shadows, ambush, hide again" rogue playstyle, focusing a lot on stealth openers, bleeds, poisons, and physical damage. Nightblades, on the other hand, while also having stealth, are more focused on elemental/planar non-physical damage, including some minor ranged ability. Both trees can stand on their own (while not top-competitive dps at the moment) or are good 'support' souls due to the first 3 tiers of talents, buffing other souls' damage.
    God, I'm the kind of person wich needs to fully play "Every talent" 1-50 to fully understand it.
    This is a good thing. I wish more people understood all the souls in their class rather than just copying the popular specs without understanding how they work or why certain talent choices were made. (I'm looking at you, Poison Potency)
    Last edited by Caelan; 08-23-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Skiet - Kelari Rogue - Fires of Heaven - Deepwood

Thanks a lot, Daglar.

Quick question about MM's,

Will I have to spam swift shot mainly or the 1.5 second cast (higher damage) skills?

(If hit 'n run isn't available)

How does it go in like R8 pvp, if hit and run is @ cooldown? swift shot 24/7?:P

Champion of Telara

Quick question about MM's,

Will I have to spam swift shot mainly or the 1.5 second cast (higher damage) skills?

(If hit 'n run isn't available)

How does it go in like R8 pvp, if hit and run is @ cooldown? swift shot 24/7?:P
    It depends. You can use empowered shot to get a little more burst, but the DPS might be a little lower than spamming Swift shot I dont really know which one has better DPS. Deadeye shot is always going to be better for burst than hasted shot if you can afford to stand still.

+ Reply to Thread