+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How To Kill a Riftblade Warrior

Banned

Default How To Kill a Riftblade Warrior

This is an Assassin build designed for killing equally geared warriors in open world or 1v1 combat occasionally presented to us in pvp WF's. This build also kills those pesky rift/sin rogues (if they don't run away) and mages. I still struggle with clerics in equal gear, but who doesn't?

The build is 21inf/32sin/13dd

This takes a little practice to perfect and is heavily dependent on CD's so it is by far not the final solution to the problem with rogues. As I've found no other build that comes close in terms of killing warriors, I thought I'd share it anyway.

If you play it properly, he won't be able to swing at you until near the end of it. This does not rely on macros or poisons, though it doesn't hurt to use poison malice just for that little extra damage. This build is designed for you to repeatedly pop in and out of stealth, putting a deadly dance enhanced jagged strike on him a couple of times, while enhancing your punctures and savage strikes with deadly dance as well. Making use of impale and the buffed up final blow is another critical part of the strategy.

Here is the Combat Scenario.

Have every self buff and consumable buff on you there is. You can bet he will.

Instigating the Combat

Expose Weakness > Poison Malice

(From Behind) paralyzing strike > Puncture > Deadly Strike

Slip Away

(From Behind) Jagged Strike > Puncture > Impale

Savage Strike to 5pts > Final Blow - Here he pops his full heal

Step Into the Shadows - wait until your bleeds bring his health back down, you
    may decide to wait until they are completely gone and he sits down to drink. Don't let
    him drink for long!

Expose Weakness > Poison Malice

Puncture > Side Steps > Savage Strike x 3 > Deadly Strike

Foul Play > Savage Strike x 5 > Healing Potion (if necessary) > Impale

Puncture > Savage Strike to 5pts > Final Blow

Most warriors will be dead before you have finished this, especially if their heal wasn't available.

I only use one macro for this.

#show puncture
    use Whispered Silence
    cast puncture

I wish you all luck, and if you can help me out with a better way, believe me, I want to know it.

Banned

guess i messed up the link to the build.

here's one that works
    Last edited by Geistcreeper; 08-18-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Ascendant

you put some talents into having to be behind the target, but you didn't grab backstab?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by generatedname View Post
    you put some talents into having to be behind the target, but you didn't grab backstab?
    No. The point is to bleed the warrior out, getting the most combo points possible as fast as possible, and you wont be behind a riftblade long enough to get backstab off except for the first opener that uses Paralyzing Strike. I'd rather follow that up with puncture and do less damage to myself when I hit him. It's also why I took the point in +hit over the retaliatory abilities in bladedancer. Hitting these guys with a one time damage physical attack just hurts yourself. The whole point of this build is to keep him from swinging at you as long as possible, and not allow his reflective damage to affect you unless it's absolutely necessary, like at the very end of the fight when you're just finishing them off.

I did put points into being behind the target, but those are for the openers from stealth.

I'm totally going to steal the general idea for this for my lowbie rogue to gank nubs in world pvp, granted I cannot get access to the high tier crap in the Infiltrator tree.

Banned

Just making a correction to my OP. the opener preceding the use of side steps is a jagged strike, not a puncture.

Quote Originally Posted by Geistcreeper View Post
    Just making a correction to my OP. the opener preceding the use of side steps is a jagged strike, not a puncture.
    So instead of Puncture > Side Steps > Savage Strike x 3 > Deadly Strike, it'd be Jagged Strike > Side Steps > Savage Strike x2 > Deadly Strike since Jagged gives 3 with this build.

Ascendant

If you don't want him to drink there's an easy OP fix.

expose weakness puts them in combat but don't tell anyone
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by InferiOmega View Post
    So instead of Puncture > Side Steps > Savage Strike x 3 > Deadly Strike, it'd be Jagged Strike > Side Steps > Savage Strike x2 > Deadly Strike since Jagged gives 3 with this build.
    yes, that's correct. apologies for the shoddy proof-reading.

Banned

Need more people like Swordfishy chiming in. I REALLY wish I knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geistcreeper View Post
    No. The point is to bleed the warrior out, getting the most combo points possible as fast as possible, and you wont be behind a riftblade long enough to get backstab off except for the first opener that uses Paralyzing Strike. I'd rather follow that up with puncture and do less damage to myself when I hit him. It's also why I took the point in +hit over the retaliatory abilities in bladedancer. Hitting these guys with a one time damage physical attack just hurts yourself. The whole point of this build is to keep him from swinging at you as long as possible, and not allow his reflective damage to affect you unless it's absolutely necessary, like at the very end of the fight when you're just finishing them off.

I did put points into being behind the target, but those are for the openers from stealth.
    I'm confused, how are you bleeding a Riftblade Paladin that can block bleeds and will heal for around 2000 over 8 seconds after a block, as well as having a 100% full heal to be used after you've used Slip Away?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfishy View Post
    If you don't want him to drink there's an easy OP fix.

expose weakness puts them in combat but don't tell anyone
    The QQ in /yell after doing that makes it worth it just to hear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusMonkey View Post
    I'm confused, how are you bleeding a Riftblade Paladin that can block bleeds and will heal for around 2000 over 8 seconds after a block, as well as having a 100% full heal to be used after you've used Slip Away?

The QQ in /yell after doing that makes it worth it just to hear.
    The build calls for 2 vanishes (slip away and step into the shadows). This is allowing for 3 openers before the warrior gets a shot as swinging at me. The bleeds are hitting for 105% (more than twice) of the bleed damage a 51sin/15inf would do. Yes the full heal is annoying, but if you're timing all or most of your bleeds after a deadly strike, and have the patience after using your second vanish to let him bleed down some after he's popped his heal, then make sure you have side steps up when you re-engage for the end of the fight, you can kill them. They aren't invincible to rogues.

I will say this. You need really good weapons and gear to make this work. r6 at least. I hit r8 a couple of days ago and have been killing most of the ones I come across. I won't say I kill them all. RNG plays a role. Sometimes I don't get the crits. Sometimes he thrashes me when I have side steps up. Heck, sometimes he's just a better player than me. But where I was killing none of them as 51sin, I'm killing more than half the ones I get a chance to face 1v1 with this build and strategy. I put Anathema on them just out of habit, and I think it works on all the self healing except the full heal. I can't be sure about that though.
    Last edited by Geistcreeper; 08-18-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Your build is a little strange though, you've put points into being behind your opponent but don't take backstab, for one point it's worth it just to macro into Savage Strike, take no blinding powder and put points into Final Blow, are they not a little useless when you're using Deadly Dance, or are you just hoping for a more powerful finish with impale running and points in Physical Trauma to finish them off?

It's an interesting build though. I'm not sure the loss of damage is worth it for the 2nd Slip Away, but then it seems to relay on damage coming from Deadly Dance which is a pretty common thing. Loss of a ranged attack from MM or Ranger worries me, does the extra Slip Away make ranged Mages and other MM less of a problem?
    Last edited by TiberiusMonkey; 08-18-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Plane Touched

i played this build for a while long ago and it's quite effective against warriors but don't expect to kill clerics, marksmen or chloro/xx with it. u will get kited to **** coz flash of steel isn't enough to keep u in melee all the time and u have no ranged builder/finisher.

note about side steps: if ur opponent has 120 hit or more it's useless. u won't dodge at all. it's still worth getting coz not everyone runs around with that much hit in pvp even though they should.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusMonkey View Post
    Your build is a little strange though, you've put points into being behind your opponent but don't take backstab, for one point it's worth it just to macro into Savage Strike, take no blinding powder and put points into Final Blow, are they not a little useless when you're using Deadly Dance, or are you just hoping for a more powerful finish with impale running and points in Physical Trauma to finish them off?

It's an interesting build though. I'm not sure the loss of damage is worth it for the 2nd Slip Away, but then it seems to relay on damage coming from Deadly Dance which is a pretty common thing. Loss of a ranged attack from MM or Ranger worries me, does the extra Slip Away make ranged Mages and other MM less of a problem?
    To be honest, if I haven't killed the mage by the time I've used my second vanish, they're usually running away towards their buddies and that's no fun. But that's not so common that I can't deal with it. The fight with a Marksman is similar. I'm out of sight most of the fight trying to make sure I don't get out of position and get hit with a repelling shot. I'll use step into the shadows first against them and just eat the damage from barbed shot to get a second opener off, unless I see it critting, then I'll wait it out. They're pretty squishy though so they bleed out kinda easy.

With all of the CD's available and making sure not to fumble the rotations (which I still do sometimes, heh) the dps from bleeds is kind of shocking the first time you see it, but as I said in my OP the build is heavily dependent on cd's, which makes out of stealth brawling less effective than 51sin. I honestly prefer not to be brawling in the fray in any build as a rogue. If I'm needed at the group, I just go bard or MM.

A lot of people will comment on the lack of backstab. There are a couple reasons I don't choose it. Number 1, It's just not a part of what this build is meant to do, which is build up combo points with 3 and 2 point abilities, get off a finisher, and get the heck outta Dodge. Then come back and do it again, and then again. Number 2, I have to admit I'm no expert at always being behind people once I'm fighting out of stealth until someone is dead. So I just don't use it much. It's great for killing scrubs in a 51sin build or doing pressure dps to someone trying to kite you (so their back is turned), but other than that I just don't find it helpful within this build. And as I said before, the points in double cross are there for opening sequences to beef up puncture. It seemed better to have guaranteed damage increase from that as opposed to putting the points anywhere else.

I'm always tinkering though, and I'd love to know if anyone has some solid experience with this particular style of play who can say definitively the best way to do it. All I know is this works more often than 51sin does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast