+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob Rogue questions

Soulwalker

Default Noob Rogue questions

I'm brand new to Rift, having come over from WoW. Don't hate me for that...

I love the ranged hunter/marksman and will be playing with 2 real life friends. One of them will be playing a cleric/healer and the other likely a necromancer.

Keeping in mind that I want to play as the WoW "hunter" type, what would be the best 3 trees I should go into for this group?

I'm assuming I will take Ranger, but I'm not sure on the other two? Would I also go Marksman, or is that redundant with ranger?

Also, I understand that rogues can tank in this game, which I find really cool. Since I'm just starting I'm not too worried about end-game stuff, but can rogues tank effectively while leveling up? If so, what's a good build for that?

thank you to all who help a noob out!

Soulwalker

Thank you for the link to the guide, however the guide is tailored a raiding rogue, which I won't be for some time. I'm wondering if there are other suggestions for leveling up, and particularly leveling up in conjunction with a necro and a cleric?

Rift Disciple

with 12 points into MM you get rapid fire shot, which is the best ranged finisher available. for a 3rd tree, assassin is nice for a 0 point poison, free damage basically, and the first tier talent that gives crit.

for tanking, just max riftstalker and put extra points into bard for the HP and armor buff, bladedancer 3rd tree for the dodge CD and dodge passives. you can tank effectively starting from level 18 when you pick up guardian phase.

tool around with other specs too, the best part about this game is 5 roles (wish it was 10), so make sure you take advantage. bladedancer/riftstalker is a great leveling build, and bards are interesting if not all that effective for 5man dungeons.

Ranger/marksman/assasin

Ranger is obviously a no-brainer for pets+ranged DPS, marksman synergises really well with it, and assasin has lots of nice support talents in the lower tiers.

Although the guide linked above is aimed at endgame rogues, you should still read it to get a better idea of how various talents work together. Essentially once you've got enough points in the relevant talents, your rotation will consist of keeping Shadow Fire and the Headshot buffs up, and using Rapid Fire Shot whenever it's off cooldown. That pretty much stays the same from the moment you get those talents right through to 50.

+ Reply to Thread