+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Proposal: Riftstalker

Ascendant

Default Proposal: Riftstalker

There are a few major problems with Riftstalker tanking currently. These are all my opinion, coming from a rogue that has tanked all the T1 raids. I think most people will agree with me. The problems I see are the following:

1. Physical mitigation.
    I think by now everyone realises that rogues get smashed by physical damage, taking on average twice as much damage compared to their warrior/cleric counterparts. This is not a huge issue until you get to raids, however, even in expert dungeons it is very noticeable. My Cleric has been level 50 for all of 5 days and I can heal a T2 geared warrior tank (with 2 pieces of mark armor) through DSM while he pulls 3-4 packs of trash at a time. We killed the first name in there with 2 full trash packs on us (total of 5-6 trash mobs, the boss and his adds as well) at the start and just AoE'd it all down. No cooldowns used, just easy-mode tanking/healing. A cleric could probably do that as well, but if a Rogue tried it, he'd be smashed flat before he even got to the boss.

2. Stats.
    Rogues stack END. This sounds fine until you think about it a bit. What does it mean?

Well it means a few things. First, it means that we're NOT stacking STR or DEX. Which means we're going to have lower damage, and lower avoidance stats. Second, it should mean that we have alot more hipoints. This isn't the case. We do have a bit more in terms of hitpoints, but the gap isn't that wide and certainly doesn't reflect the fact that i have twice the amount of END than the other tanks do. This is due to passives from the other tank souls. I'd like to see something similar in the Riftstalker tree so that I'm not required to stack END to keep up on hitpoints. The issue here is that we'd then need to redo almost all the rogue tank loot in the game, because it is all END heavy.

3. AoE threat.
    Alot of people will complain about this. I personally have no problem holding AoE threat. It's easy. The hard part is GETTING the AoE threat when you're half way through an encounter and someone tabs to the next pack, or maybe adds will spawn as part of an encounter and you aren't expecting them.. Rift Disturbance is still on cooldown for 5 seconds and Shadow Blitz is another 8 seconds after that. You have 5 mobs charging your group, 1 caster at the back who ISN'T charging your group and you have no AoEs up. What do you do? Well, often what you do is you grab one or two, or even ALL of the melee mobs with a combination of taunts and single target attacks. Then the caster kills your healer and you die a few seconds later too. Usually it will end in a wipe.

4. Whats all these crap abilities in my tank soul?
    If you're using the Riftstalker as a tank soul, you have 10pts worth of abilities which are entirely focused on DPS, 3 of which are teleport triggered temp buffs. You then have a further 7 points in temp buffs which only effect you for 2-4 seconds after you teleport. Then you have Planar Switch, Defer Death, Stalker Phase and Rift Scavenge. 2 of those are of dubious use, one is a DPS stance and the last one is only useful if something dies with combo points on it.

21 points and 3 roots used on abilities which are either completely DPS focused, or of limited or no use to a tank. Almost half the points we are REQUIRED to spend in the tree are crap. Now I know alot fo people are going to tell me that every soul has abilities which are lackluster. I've already had a couple of warriors say this. Yes, every soul has abilities which aren't the best. But as a warrior, you aren't forced to put those points there because of a main tank buff that scales off points spent in that tree (Rift Guard). You have 4 tank souls (total of 204 potential places to put those points), whereas rogues have one soul and are forced to get it all.

5. Scaling (armor and rift guard)
    There isn't any. OK, thats a slight exageration. Our armor does scale, but only a VERY small amount. Rift Guard doesn't scale at all. The second you put that 51st point into Riftstalker, your Rift Guard is as good as it's ever going to get. There needs to be some sort of scaling and currently there isn't any.

With all the above issues in mind, here's my list of changes that I'd like to see happen.

1. Rift Guard changed to the following:
    A finisher that applies an absorbtion shield to the rogue. This shield will absorb 25% of all incoming damage. This ability deals weapon damage plus physical damage. Duration is increased with more combo points. Energy cost is reduced with more combo points. Damage bonus is increased with more combo points.
    1pt: 94 damage, 12 seconds
    2pt: 158 damage, 24 seconds
    3pt: 221 damage, 36 seconds
    4pt: 253 damage, 48 seconds
    5pt: 316 damage, 60 seconds
    This attack has a 20m range.

2. Improved Rift Guard changed to the following:
    For every 25 points of END, Rift Guard will absorb an additional 0.5% of all incoming damage.

With 600 END (approx fresh 50) this will give Rift Guard 37% absorbtion.
    With 1,000 END (approx T2 instance gear) this will give Rift Guard 45% absorbtion.

6. Defer Death changed to the following:
    For the next 10 seconds the rogue cannot die. Any damage that would kill the rogue will instead heal him to 50%. This effect is dispelled upon healing the rogue.

7. Planar Switch changed to the following:
    (passive) The rogue changes all their combo points from their previous target upon attacking a new one.

8. Scatter the Shadows moved to level 34.

9. New level 42 ability: Enhance: Instigate
    Instigate will now teleport the target to the rogue.

10. New level 24 ability: Planar Shock
    The Rogue compacts a pocket of planar energy and throws it at their target, causing weapon damage plus 79-82 physical damage and interupting them. 10 second recast. This shares a timer with Weapon Barrage.

11. New level 51 ability: Planar Destruction
    The rogue reaches through the planes, taking hold of the energy used to empower their foes and turning it against them. This ability purges 2 buffs from the target and causes weapon damage plus 79-82 physical damage for each buff removed. 10 second recast. Range 20m

12. Improved Guardian Phase no longer reduces damage done.

13. Rift Scavenge changed to the following:
    Upon using a finisher, the Riftstalker uses the energies released to form a shield around himself. For each combo point used, the Riftslker gains a larger shield.
    1pt: 100pt shield
    2pt: 200pt shield
    3pt: 300pt shield
    4pt: 400pt shield
    5pt: 500pt shield

14. Added to Improved Rift Guard:
    The rogue gains 0.25 Attack Power for each point of Endurance.
    The rogue gains 0.25 Physical Crit Chance for each point of endurance.
    The rogue gains 0.25 dodge for each point of endurance
    The rogue gains 0.4 parry for each point of endurance

15. Rift Barrier changed to scale in a similar manner to Rift Guard.

Some dodge-related trinkets/greaters would be nice also.

Shyla's Faebranch (Trinket, Life raid rift)
    Equip: Grants a chance on dodge to restore 2272 hitpoints over 12 seconds.
    Requires: Level 50
    Calling: Rogue, Warrior, Cleric

Rippling Tideshard (Greater Essence, Water raid rift)
    Equip: Grants a chance on dodge to restore 772 hitpoints.

Blistering Flameshard (Greater Essence, Fire raid rift)
    Equip: Grants a chance on dodge to increase threat to your target and increase dodge chance by 8% for 10 seconds.

Rolling Stone (Lesser Essence, Earth Raid Rift, NOT unique equip)
    +15 DEX
    +24 END
    +15 dodge
    +17 earth resist

Also, as long as I'm asking for stuff, can we get atleast one (there currently aren't any) dodge/END focused Earth lesser? At present if a rogue wants an earth resist core for tanking GP, we're going to be getting alot of WIS or block on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: These ability changes were removed

3. Rift Barrier changed to stack with Rift Guard.

4. Ruthless Stalker changed to the following:
    Increase your critical hit chance by 15% for 15 seconds - If in Stalker Phase.
    Increase your parry chance by 5% for 15 seconds - If in Guardian Phase.

5. Hasted Time changed to the following:
    Increases your movement speed by 20% for 15 seconds after planeshifting - If in Stalker Phase
    Grants the rogue a 10% chance to avoid spell attacks for 15 seconds after planeshifting - If in Guardian Phase
    Last edited by Paikis; 09-18-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Soulwalker

+1

Would help lessen the divide between rogue tanks and all else.

Might as well just call it godstalker
    <Knights of Wolfsbane>
    Sheraseval - 60 Cleric (P51)
    Sheriseter - 50 Rogue (P35)
    Claraseval - <50 Warrior
    Clariseter - <50 Mage

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Claraseval View Post
    Might as well just call it godstalker
    It provides us with scaling mitigation in the form of our shields. This makes up for the fact that we don't have armor or block.

By my maths, we'll still get hit harder by physical damage, but we'll actually be the best at magical damage, unlike the current situation where the only reason to use a rogue is that you don't have a warrior.

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    This ability deals weapon damage plus physical damage.
    This attack has a **30m** range.
    Fixed. I often open the fight with splinter shot, which has a 30m range. I need RG to also be the same range. :P

6. Defer Death changed to Rift Ward:
    The rogue absorbs and stores all incoming damage for 10 seconds. This damage is then converted into a shield that absorbs all incoming damage until the shield fails.
    5 minute recast.
    So a 10 second immunity (while absorbing) followed by another approximately 10 second immunity (the active shield)? That would be overpowered, even for a 5min cooldown.

Instigate will now teleport the target to the rogue and root it for 3 seconds.
    The force teleport to us definitely a plus, but I wouldn't prefer the root effect. I sometimes taunt a mob while I'm running, and I want the mob to actually follow me.

Everything else is spot on. Cheers!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Threx View Post
    So a 10 second immunity (while absorbing) followed by another approximately 10 second immunity (the active shield)? That would be overpowered, even for a 5min cooldown.
    So maybe we change it to one of the following:

1. 10 second immunity only.
    2. Leave as-is, but it cannot outright kill you.
    3. Charge the shield only, if you're still alive after the 10 seconds you get a nice shield.
    4. Only prevents you from being killed. Health still moves as normal when you get damaged/healed... you just can't die until it wears off.
    Last edited by Paikis; 08-17-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Rift Disciple

Awesome post. Here's the parts that made me laugh the most.

There's been alot of talking about this, and some trolling as well. I've stolen some of these ideas from other forums users, some are my own. Here's my list of specific changes. I want all of these.

A finisher that applies an absorbtion shield to the rogue. This shield will absorb 25% of all incoming damage.
    *snip*
    5pt: 316 damage, 60 seconds
    This attack has a 20m range.

For every 25 points of END, Rift Guard will absorb an additional 0.5% of all incoming damage.

With 1,000 END (approx T2 instance gear) this will give Rift Guard 45% absorbtion.
    So a permanent 45% absorption to all damage.. or the equiv of 100% block chance without needing a shield equipped at all.. and this is after you've already dodged/parried (for physical attacks)

Needs a combination of CD, max time, max amount that isn't stupidly high and be magic only before this is anything but a joke.

The rogue absorbs and stores all incoming damage for 10 seconds. This damage is then converted into a shield that absorbs all incoming damage until the shield fails.
    5 minute recast.
    Combined with what you propose for 'rift guard', your healers could (easily) heal you through a heavy attack stage, and then take the next 5 minutes off whilst this shield (with no limits...) wears off.

(passive) The rogue changes all their combo points from their previous target upon attacking a new one.
    Err.. So you basically want to remove the ultra hard task of hitting a separate button before recommencing what will essentially be a 2 button tank rotation (with the other changes).

The other ideas all have their flaws (with the exception of Instigate), but what is really funny is your heavy use of adding range to all the utilities and even the uber shield finisher. Planning on building up points and then teleport out of range to avoid taking even more damage once the uber shield is up?

Of course, you've accidentally forgotten to mention how these new skills would work in pvp as well (godstalker would be appropriate name there I think)

Right intent, bloody awful solution.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
    So a permanent 45% absorption to all damage.. or the equiv of 100% block chance without needing a shield equipped at all.. and this is after you've already dodged/parried (for physical attacks)
    Shame about that extra 30% armor mitigation we're missing then huh? Rift Guard was always intended to make up for the lack of armor and the lack of block. It just barely covers block as it is. This change would allow it to scale, so upgrades actually mean something, as well as give it it's intended use to compensate for not having any armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
    Needs a combination of CD, max time, max amount that isn't stupidly high and be magic only before this is anything but a joke.
    Good job reading the thread. This has already been discussed. If the thread was several pages long you could be forgiven. We're still on the first page, don't be so lazy.

Rift Disciple

Good job reading the thread. This has already been discussed. If the thread was several pages long you could be forgiven. We're still on the first page, don't be so lazy.
    It took a long time to finish the reply in between the giggling as I imagined this in action.

Telaran

Really like your propositions Paikis, and agree with threx on the defer death and enhance instigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis
    Instigate will now teleport the target to the rogue and root it for 3 seconds.
    A single target range grip would help a bunch in dealing with casters when there's no place to hide to make them come, or if it seem to OP to have aoe grip and single range one, maybe add a silence component to instigate instead, that would help deal with casters as well.

5 minute recast.
    An other option for that skill could be an anti death mecanic, like there is in EQ2, that would really fit it's name : for the next 10sec if you die, you're healed to xx% of your health.
    I don't know what would be reasonnable % maybe 50% as to not be as good as a CH

The rogue reaches through the planes, taking hold of the energy used to empower their foes and turning it against them. This ability purges 2 buffs from the target and causes weapon damage plus 79-82 physical damage for each buff removed. 10 second recast. Range 20m
    I think having interrupt and purge added in a single soul would be a bit much, unless warrior and cleric are able to have both in a decent spec, I'm too ignorant of those 2 archetypes to know.

12. Guardian Phase no longer reduces damage done
    This also really needs to happen, it's absolutly absurd that we have lowest dps of the tanks while we are dual wielding while the other tanks are using a shield.
    We don't have to be dps but if we could do at least be ahead of the other tanks in dps... Having a rogue tank you loose spotter's unless you gimp a warrior dps, maybe we could raise our dps a little so that it doesn't compensate the loss of spotter's but still make up a bit.
    Maybe make RS do half the dps of a real dps, through this proposition and boosting a tad the damage on our defensive finishers.

This way:
    - a War tank brings spotter's
    - a Cleric tank brings added healing
    - a Rogue tank does a bit a dps

As for the comments on pvp, since they are able to have skill be differents in pvp and pve now, make it so the changes don't make RS gods in PvP.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by sagavellius View Post
    I think having interrupt and purge added in a single soul would be a bit much, unless warrior and cleric are able to have both in a decent spec, I'm too ignorant of those 2 archetypes to know.
    Warriors have both in a %1 VK build. Clerics *CAN* spec for both. Rogues cannot purge currently no matter what spec we run.

A very good change. It will help the gear scaling issue.
    4. Ruthless Stalker changed to the following:
    Increase your critical hit chance by 15% for 15 seconds - If in Stalker Phase.
    Increase your parry chance by 5% for 15 seconds - If in Guardian Phase.
    Another good change to help bring our mitigation up to warrior/cleric mitigation.

5. Hasted Time changed to the following:
    Increases your movement speed by 20% for 15 seconds after planeshifting - If in Stalker Phase
    Grants the rogue a 10% chance to avoid spell attacks for 15 seconds after planeshifting - If in Guardian Phase
    I hate RNG, but if this were a static damage reduction instead it would be OP so I'm fine with this.

6. Defer Death changed to the following:
    The rogue absorbs all damage for 10 seconds. 5 minute cooldown.
    Ok, now this is OP. I don't care if it's on a long cd, 10 seconds of immunity is waaaay too long. I would say 4-5 seconds at MOST.

Another good change. An alternative to this would be to just let us use Planar Switch manually like we do now, but so we can also take our combo points from dead mobs. (Like Redirect in WoW)

Instigate will now teleport the target to the rogue.

10. New level 24 ability: Planar Shock
    The Rogue compacts a pocket of planar energy and throws it at their target, causing weapon damage plus 79-82 physical damage and interupting them. 8 second recast. This shares a timer with Weapon Barrage.
    Yesssssssss WTB this so much. I hate being so useless in utility compared to other tanks.

Not quite sure what you mean by 10 second recast. Is that just a 10 second cooldown? Either way, very much welcomed.

12. Guardian Phase no longer reduces damage done.
    I think this would be OP. Tanks shouldn't be doing insane amounts of damage. They're there for threat and if they can keep threat then life is good. I could see this getting abused in PvP. I think it's good how it is now.

Rift Guard is way too much of our mitigation to be a finisher imo. It's like asking a Warrior to go into a fight without his shield and half his armour. VKs can just sit there and use Ragestorm to put their pact buffs up and that's one disparity that is utter nonsense. Nearly ALL of the Riftstalker mitigation comes from finishers, to a class that's horribly energy-starved already. It's a matter of convenience I suppose; Riftstalkers running t2s are suicidal because they have no mitigation unless their buffs are up from a previous pull. Riftstalkers facing tough bosses in raids have to duel a party member to get their things running. There are workarounds for these limitations so it makes no sense to just remove the tedious barrier on Rift Guard at least.

Beyond that...

Plane-shifting buffs are just asking for trouble (Rift Barrier, Ruthless Stalker). While I'm all for randomly plane-shifting mid-fight to get people that annoyed me cleaved, having to rely on that to gain essential mitigation isn't advisable. 10 seconds of damage immunity from Defer Death is just insane, absolutely insane. Just scrap it and give a silence or summat.

Changing planar switch I'm torn on. I use it frequently atm; it's an off-GCD combo point builder. Even if that's not its intended purpose it's fantastically useful. A pull-in is meh. They're nice to have I guess but that's just inviting Warrior qq and they have a point -- they need to have something we don't. Now, if they wanted to increase the pull-in range of Planar Attraction I'd be all for that.

Guardian Phase should still reduce damage done but the aggro modifier is buggered. It needs to scale either with Endurance (like Battlefield Awareness), Dex (not a great idea imo since even RS gear isn't heavy on it), or toughness.

Weapon Barrage is a 10s CD btw. Warrior interrupts are the 8s ones, Clerics 20s.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    Beyond that...

Plane-shifting buffs are just asking for trouble (Rift Barrier, Ruthless Stalker). While I'm all for randomly plane-shifting mid-fight to get people that annoyed me cleaved, having to rely on that to gain essential mitigation isn't advisable.
    There are 3 teleports you can use without moving. Then there are two that will put you behind the mob and one more that will just move you forwards (what if there's a wall in the way?)

I want a reason to use my teleports in combat. If that reason doesn't exist, why bother having them anyway? A fancy pulling tool?

10 seconds of damage immunity from Defer Death is just insane, absolutely insane. Just scrap it and give a silence or summat.
    I don't think its that bad. 10 seconds is about how long a raid mob will take to kill me if Im not getting heals, maybe slightly less. It's basically the equivalent of a full heal, and other classes get multiples of those.

Maybe do like EQ2 did. You can have 12 seconds of complete immunity... but you cant attack anything durating that time period.

Changing planar switch I'm torn on. I use it frequently atm; it's an off-GCD combo point builder. Even if that's not its intended purpose it's fantastically useful.
    I agree it's useful, but you aren't really using it. If you're anything like me, you just macro it into phantom blow and planar strike and most of the time you don't even remember that you ahve it.

A pull-in is meh. They're nice to have I guess but that's just inviting Warrior qq and they have a point -- they need to have something we don't. Now, if they wanted to increase the pull-in range of Planar Attraction I'd be all for that.
    Warriors need something we don't have? You mean like a purge, a cleanse, an interupt, the best physical mitigation, the option to spec into the best magical mitigation, the largest DPS increasing raid buff in the game, the best melee DPS, the best DPS in general, shields in their tank specs, the biggest heals, the ability to pre-load their combo points, less combo points for each finisher, their combo points are stored on themselves and not on their targets... should I keep going?

The pull in would be nice to have for when your group gets adds. Or that damned warrior hit path of the hurricane and pulled adds again and one of them happens to be a caster.

Guardian Phase should still reduce damage done but the aggro modifier is buggered. It needs to scale either with Endurance (like Battlefield Awareness), Dex (not a great idea imo since even RS gear isn't heavy on it), or toughness.
    Agreed

Weapon Barrage is a 10s CD btw. Warrior interrupts are the 8s ones, Clerics 20s.
    I don't see your point here? Warriors can get a 6second cooldown interupt, why can't we have 8sec?

I hate piecemeal quoting so I'll just go in sequence.

lol I assume you mean Shadow Blitz, which certainly does make you move. I Shadow Blitz to Herald once. It screwed his hitbox and he turned and cleaved the raid. Greenscale can do the same thing. In any case having them proc on Plane Shifts is still rubbish. It turns the abilities into self-buffing gimmicks and renders them impractical for situations where they actually come in handy -- and they are useful on a lot of fights, just not essential.

Who has multiple full-heals?

I'm never fast enough and usually don't have the energy to save my combo points from Soul Drain with it, but I try.

I assumed we were assuming equal mitigation is achieved, which is sort of the whole point of your first proposal no? And I was referring to the tank souls specifically, not the DPS souls, that's irrelevant. You suggested in your post giving Riftstalkers everything specific to the tank souls that you listed except Spotter's. A purge, a cleanse, an interrupt, a pull-in, 10 seconds of immunity (better than a full-heal), CP carrying. I simply think it's asking a lot for a single soul.

I was just pointing out that if it's on shared CD with Weapon Barrage it should theoretically have the same CD. No real point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast