+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: rogue tanking essence

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default rogue tanking essence

    My question is……do you fill all 6 slots with lesser essence? or mix with greaters?
    I know there are 2 greaters fit for rogue

    one grants chance of dodge to increase threat and armor 5% for 10 seconds

    one grants chance of air threat aoe attacks 5 targets

  2. #2
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qqninja View Post
    My question is……do you fill all 6 slots with lesser essence? or mix with greaters?
    I know there are 2 greaters fit for rogue

    one grants chance of dodge to increase threat and armor 5% for 10 seconds

    one grants chance of air threat aoe attacks 5 targets
    I don't think 5% armor one is worth it, 5% of my armor is pathetic. The stormsharx for the area damage and threat is nice. Since the shard is disabled if you walk into an instance with it equipes it lets me test not having it. The extra threat in generates on an area helps a lot when you have crazy warriors and clerics going all out area with no threat reduction. Single target I am fine, but the area I need the stormshard and I still will lose some of the trash.

    If you area dps have threat reduction it isn't worth it.

    The extra lessee adds some threat from the boosted stats, adds HP and some avoidence. I would recommend 6 lessers if you don't have the screaming stormshard

  3. #3
    Shadowlander Doveldrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    What about greater essence from vendor in Sanctum, that gives extra 300 armor when using Rift Guard? Is it worth buying?

  4. #4
    lgw
    lgw is offline
    Ascendant lgw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    Jip...
    * 3x max Endu lesser
    * 1x 20 Toughness until you reach cap (150 T2, 200 Raid T1, 250 Raid T2)
    * Screaming Sourceshard (goood aggro)
    * 3xx Armor from vendor (Rogues need all phys mitigation they can get)
    You might replace each of those with another 20+ Endu lesser, but so far I'm very happy with that composition.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Jip...
    * 3x max Endu lesser
    * 1x 20 Toughness until you reach cap (150 T2, 200 Raid T1, 250 Raid T2)
    * Screaming Sourceshard (goood aggro)
    * 3xx Armor from vendor (Rogues need all phys mitigation they can get)
    You might replace each of those with another 20+ Endu lesser, but so far I'm very happy with that composition.
    Primordial Faeshard - Life raid rift, Greater
    - Proc rate is low. If you aren't tanking packs of atleast 3 mobs, this will not proc very often.
    - 5% armor works off BASE armor. Add up the armor on each individual piece of armor you're wearing. For me this is about 3,000 (slightly more, but im making it easy for maths) 5% of that is a massive 150 armor.
    - Threat is nice, but not hugely noticable unless you are using sidesteps.
    Overall: good for tanking instances, don't bother for tanking raids.

    Screaming Stormshard - Air raid rift, Greater
    - Proc rate is low, about once every 15 seconds.
    - Threat is nice, but not really needed.
    - Damage is bad.
    Overall: good for tanking instances, don't bother for raids.

    These greaters are especially horrible when you compare them to the Celestial Flameshard.

    If you're tanking a single mob, use 2 lesser essences, no exceptions.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

    I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

  6. #6
    Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Primordial Faeshard - Life raid rift, Greater
    - Proc rate is low. If you aren't tanking packs of atleast 3 mobs, this will not proc very often.
    - 5% armor works off BASE armor. Add up the armor on each individual piece of armor you're wearing. For me this is about 3,000 (slightly more, but im making it easy for maths) 5% of that is a massive 150 armor.
    - Threat is nice, but not hugely noticable unless you are using sidesteps.
    Overall: good for tanking instances, don't bother for tanking raids.

    Screaming Stormshard - Air raid rift, Greater
    - Proc rate is low, about once every 15 seconds.
    - Threat is nice, but not really needed.
    - Damage is bad.
    Overall: good for tanking instances, don't bother for raids.

    These greaters are especially horrible when you compare them to the Celestial Flameshard.

    If you're tanking a single mob, use 2 lesser essences, no exceptions.
    This, and that's that.

    Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

  7. #7
    lgw
    lgw is offline
    Ascendant lgw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    I never mentioned PF, cause it's only remotely useable in a non raid-viable spec. I talked about the Vendor essence - but GZ on fail quoting one post down the thread.
    And believe it or not, tanking more than a single mob happens even to Rogue tanks in raids... Beside that fact that even for ST, SS is a great aggro generator. Happens to be, we don't have an auto-win button for aggro called SO.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    I never mentioned PF, cause it's only remotely useable in a non raid-viable spec. I talked about the Vendor essence - but GZ on fail quoting one post down the thread.
    And believe it or not, tanking more than a single mob happens even to Rogue tanks in raids... Beside that fact that even for ST, SS is a great aggro generator. Happens to be, we don't have an auto-win button for aggro called SO.
    I'm assuming by non raid-viable you mean 51rs/8bd/7rng in which case, Im sorry but that is actually the best general purpose raid spec. Using bard/ranger is only good on pure magic bosses. Tanking additional mobs makes the bladedancer build even better, because then you're dodging 10% of double the attacks.

    Yes you talked about the vendor essence, which I haven't tested, but I don't expect good things from it. Has anyone else tested it? Does it apply to base (and give extra armor through Guarded Steel?) or is it just +300 armor?

    YOU didn't talk about PF, but surprisingly enoguh there are other people in this thread. It was mentioned in the first and second posts. Not everything is about you.

    I am very well aware that we don't have Spotter's Order (or the skill that actually generates the threat, Battlefield Awareness) but I also don't think we need it. AoE threat is only an issue when you're poorly geared, or trying to tank for DPS with MUCH better gear.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

    I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

  9. #9
    lgw
    lgw is offline
    Ascendant lgw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    I'm assuming by non raid-viable you mean 51rs/8bd/7rng in which case, Im sorry but that is actually the best general purpose raid spec. Using bard/ranger is only good on pure magic bosses. Tanking additional mobs makes the bladedancer build even better, because then you're dodging 10% of double the attacks.
    Raid only cares about EH, not about average incoming dmg over long periods. Hence BD is totaly moot for that.
    If you talk about tanking a group of physical trash adds... yeah, then feel free to go with BD - just, ya know, any remotely geared Cleric / War is three times better than us tanking physical trash adds full time.

    Yes you talked about the vendor essence, which I haven't tested, but I don't expect good things from it. Has anyone else tested it? Does it apply to base (and give extra armor through Guarded Steel?) or is it just +300 armor?
    It's fixed. It's much better than you make it, cause it has a 100% uptime.
    On my gear it boosted me from 54% to 56% mitigation from armor (give or take), which is about 4% less damage taken. I duno, but 4% less damage for a single slot is very, very good in my book.

    YOU didn't talk about PF, but surprisingly enoguh there are other people in this thread. It was mentioned in the first and second posts. Not everything is about you.
    Then please - talking in all honesty - quote better / more precisely.

    I am very well aware that we don't have Spotter's Order (or the skill that actually generates the threat, Battlefield Awareness) but I also don't think we need it. AoE threat is only an issue when you're poorly geared, or trying to tank for DPS with MUCH better gear.
    Story from last week...
    Hydris, another Rogue solo tanking. Huge problems on pre-encounter adds, always lost aggro off the dragon to our T2/T3 twink War. We switched, me being similarly geared... No issues pre-encounter beyond a single spot here or there, zero problems keeping the dragon.
    Main difference: I have SS, he does not.

    Talking about "much better" gear... happens all the time when accessing new raids, and there ain't plenty of drops to quickly gear 3-4 tanks. Twice considering we're running HK with already 5 P8 geared folks, soon to be 7 or 8.
    Last edited by lgw; 08-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts