+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Read an alternate sabo spec. Opinions?

Default Read an alternate sabo spec. Opinions?

Saw this reply to a sabo guide and wanted to get people's opinions:

Post-1.4 Spotter's Order changes, Puncture doesn't get the SO ticks that it used to so I've done some testing and so far the best single target rotation for me is:
    Spike x 4 > Savage Strike > Deadly Strike > Backstab > Spike x 1 > Detonate
    Shrap x 5 > Detonate
    Repeat

The rotation with 3/3 in Combat Efficiency (assuming you are geared to 1000 crit unbuffed) and a Tablet running with Anthem of Fervor times out perfectly to keep Spike Charge DoT ticking as long as possible without clipping. When Verse of Joy is running you'll want to use your Blade Tempo and the energy consumption from adding that into the rotation allows you not to clip your Spike Charge DoT even with Joy running. If it's a DPS fight I usually throw a Critical Strikes potion at the same time Blade Tempo and Joy are up just before Deadly Strike.
    (Original message posted by Ruin on riftjunkies site)
    Lvl 50 Rogue Bloodiron EU - Masters Anthropology Researcher into MMORPG's /w me in game or PM through forum for more details or to take part

Shadowlander

This could work, but i would use a different rotation involving only Backstab and not Savage Strike.

BS, 4x SpC, DS, BS, 1xSpC, Detonate
    5x SC, Detonate

You would have the CD ready everytime running it like this. It does more dmg with BS instead of SS and it means the rotation involves 5 skills instead of 6 making it easier.

Telaran

You would take the 1 point out of puncture and put it in backstab for that rotation?
    Anyone tried parsing it?

Yup, that's what the thread was saying due to the spotters 1.4 changes.

I noted that the rotation was working about just right in HK with bard/ but some times there would be energy drop so the BS after the DS could be dropped and straight onto the SC to keep the dot ticking. This did not happen that often though and ofc doing this doesn't really mess up the rotation.

I never have the time to parse due to Masters/raids/and work, hence posting the thread to get opinion/results of others.
    Lvl 50 Rogue Bloodiron EU - Masters Anthropology Researcher into MMORPG's /w me in game or PM through forum for more details or to take part

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

I'll try it tonight.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

Rift Disciple

So after further testing, here is what I came up with. With my gear, standard sabdancer spec, I got 1200 dps. When I subbed Backstab for Puncture in the spec and tried the new rotation, I got .....1200 dps. This was self buffed with medium whetstones and clover. Now, here is the theory craft. I suspect that Backstab will scale WAY better with raid buffed AP than puncture. Before, puncture got a big boost from spotter's order, but that is no longer the case.

2 Backstabs (one of which gets the deadly dance buff) does significantly more damage than Puncture. Down side is that Spike Charge drops off for 1-2 seconds with this rotation, which I suspect is why the DPS is so similiar.

Now in a raid setting, I think backstab will be better because a) it scales better (100% AP bonus) and b) when using the puncture rotation, you need to be careful not to clip your spike. If you clip (and you CAN if you have clover), you loose a lot of dps. With the Backstab rotation, you can NOT clip your Spike Charge. Its going to fall off because the backstab rotation has more GCDs. Further, the Puncture rotation does not gain a lot from Tablets because the faster you work the rotation, the more you clip Spike. With Backstab, if you want to use a tablet, it nets you pure dps, because you actually WANT to speed things up Spike will be dropping off. Essentailly, Backstab is more energy starved than Puncture, so one can benefit a lot more from more energy.

Plane Touched

That was my reply @ Rift Junkies and if you read the rest of it I came out with using 2 Backstabs.

Backstab > Spike x 4 > Deadly Strike > Backstab > Spike > Detonate
    Shrapnel x 5 > Detonate
    Repeat.

With Fervor/Tablet the timing works out beautifully.

My macro for Backstab:

#Show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    startattack
    cast Backstab
    [shift] cast Savage Strike
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Weapon Barrage

@Ruination Yes, I saw that you had posted this on RJ and wanted to get peoples opinions from the forum here, hence the credit at bottom of my op.

Sounds like you are onto a winner though with this variation post 1.4, nice one mate!
    Last edited by Lawless Zero; 08-17-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Champion of Telara

Some other guy posted a different variant which I feel comes out ahead due to fewer spec points (and the extra efficiency of a 2cp builder used for a 3pt det):

Spike4 Keen DS Precision Spike Det

With this setup you don't need to spend a point in BS or Puncture, allowing you to fill out Murderous Intent / Poison Potency very cleanly (or more points into Ambidex depending on your spec). It also has the advantage of using a 3pt Det.

And finally, if you time it correctly you can get the +10% damage bonus on Keen Strike from the BD talent next to the hit one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
    That was my reply @ Rift Junkies and if you read the rest of it I came out with using 2 Backstabs.

Backstab > Spike x 4 > Deadly Strike > Backstab > Spike > Detonate
    Shrapnel x 5 > Detonate
    Repeat.

With Fervor/Tablet the timing works out beautifully.

My macro for Backstab:

#Show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    startattack
    cast Backstab
    [shift] cast Savage Strike
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Weapon Barrage
    The problem w/ backstab is that you have to be behind the target unlike puncture. Therefore, the whole rotation depends on this.

It looks great against a dummy, but the real deal is another story.

Almost all bosses have cleaves anyway, so you are usually behind the target in any case?!
    Last edited by Lawless Zero; 08-18-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Tried it out with fervor, with energy starvation you won't have as good spike uptime. It ends up being about the same dps.

Also tried out keen and precision instead of 2 backstabs, and then another point in BD into improving dex. Ended up about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by joker225 View Post
    The problem w/ backstab is that you have to be behind the target unlike puncture. Therefore, the whole rotation depends on this.

It looks great against a dummy, but the real deal is another story.
    I just put SS in my BS macro somewhat of a dps loss but it gives you something if for some reason you aren't behind.

When you called me delusional I laughed so hard I almost fell off my unicorn!!

+ Reply to Thread