+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What type of Rogue?

Shadowlander

Default What type of Rogue?

The day I started this game I stopped and stared at the character creation screen for a few solid minutes deciding if I was going to roll a mage, a cleric, a warrior or a rogue. What made me pick rogue was that I had so much fun being a ranger in FFXI. I envisioned myself as a bow user sitting in the back doing decently high Damage, while shooting and scooting, that's what I envisioned myself doing as a rogue. The reality is; I am a bomber, I play Sab/dancer just like 80% of the rest of the rogue community that is serious about raiding.

I understood when I started raiding that I would likely be playing the min/max game, that in some fights it would be best for me to use a ranged class and be more survivable but do less DPS in others I would be able to lay waste to things with daggers. Never did I Imagine that pretty much the best spec for every DPS situation is always sabdancer. That there would be exactly 1 spec for support, and 2 for tanking and 1 of those is used on just 1 fight in the whole game. so really I could do 3 roles and cover all my PVE requirements.

Trion with the soul tree's was trying to provide variety in how we play t he game however we have become strapped down to 3 roles, , me one only as I don't tank and I don't bard. My gaming life revolves around deadly dance, stacking charges and detonating, very boring. Then it hit me in the middle of fighting Matron; this isn't how I envisioned myself playing this game when I started. Indeed I am not currently enjoying the game in its current state, but you see I'm an old grinding MMO player so I wont quit just because I am not enjoying the way I have to play to be effective.

What I will simply ask of the rogue community; is that they answer this question in this thread honestly; When you rolled a rogue how did you envision yourself playing?

And I will end with a simple request from trion, Please fix marksman PVE damage, if that means giving marksman a PVE buff but nerfing Marksman damage in PVP then so be it. But please let me get back to playing a non pet class bow using Damage dealer. I know I'm not the only one who has this opinion.

actually... I picked rogue cause I liked the idea of the sab class, so I'm pretty happy atm all things considered.

I also find MM useful for many fights (Uruluuk probably best example), relatively poor sustained dps but still a lot of utility and some situational abilities.
    Last edited by Harley Bishop; 08-16-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Bishop View Post
    actually... I picked rogue cause I liked the idea of the sab class, so I'm pretty happy atm all things considered.

I also find MM useful for many fights (Uruluuk probably best example), relatively poor sustained dps but still a lot of utility and some situational abilities.
    Less then useful against Uru when you have other competent purger's around so what you have is a gimp DPS that has the best purges in the game but isn't even required for those particular fights.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Landmark View Post
    Less then useful against Uru when you have other competent purger's around so what you have is a gimp DPS that has the best purges in the game but isn't even required for those particular fights.
    This is correct, yea the MM will be more effective at purging, but it's just not worth the DPS loss.

We usually let our tank do all the purging.. the extra DPS from the sabdancer will offset the few less statcks on the boss.

As for why I played a rogue... Umm.. Stealth duh!
    Snuggles - R40 Rogue : Snugglybear - R36 Mage
    <The Purge> - Seastone Server

I also chose a rogue for the MM tree, but really like the bard. I leveled as bard/ranger...pvp as MM or bard (whichever I'm feeling atm) and run 5 mans as Ranger (most groups have me go dps when I que as support but w/e). I've even been playing around with Riftstalker a bit.

I havent raided yet, still at the T1 lvl, but I assume min/maxing is a different story. But don't worry, all mmo's are the same in one way, things change every patch. I'm sure MM will get a buff and be FOTM soon lol.

I picked rogue because I have always played bard in every mmo I've played. And then omg rift bard is total fail >< boring and overwritten by everyone else. But its cool, I love tanking too. Currently I'm waiting for trion to fix their bard so that I can play the class I love the most again without shooting myself from the boredom.

And yes I consider bard to be more mindlessly repetitive and boring than sabdancer or any dps spec for that matter
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 08-17-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

I picked Rogue because I loved Riftstalker and the idea of dual-wield tanking, and I loved Bladedancer just for the MH/OH alternating and CD-dependency. As I played I just wound up playing straight-up tank because Bladedancer was terrible. Now I can't tank because Riftstalker is terrible and deep Bladedancer is still bad for most fights (and my DPS gear is mostly rubbish). In general I don't like the DPS min/max e-peen contest, where your skill as a player really makes no difference as long as you can keep up a completely mindless rotation while your parser runs anyway.

huzzah for alts!

Well, when I chose the rogue class my initial gut feeling was that, I loved my witchelf in warhammer, and thought a bladedancer / assassin mix would be the logical choice. WRONG! But alas it's not bad running full sin, just wish I had the same feeling of burst damage as I did from my WE.

Telaran

I chose Rogue for my first character because, well, that's the sort of character I always play in RPGs. Also, Bladedancer's flavor description made it sounded very much like EQ2's Swashbuckler, which was my main in that game for years. I envisioned combining it with Assassin for a silent killer who could explode into AOE death. Or with Riftstalker for an effective, though not as hearty AoE/Off tank (a role I filled quite often with my Swashbuckler). Unfortunately, the truth of Bladedancer proved wholly underwhelming, Assassin has become more of a supporting soul for Sab, and Riftstalker cannot effectively be combined deeply with other souls due to its primary survivability mechanic's scaling.

It's pretty pathetic state of things for Rogues ATM IMO, both in PVE (Hope you love Deadly Dance, and only Deadly Dance) and PVP (Low valor? Can't really go Bard, you'll be a beacon for the other team to absolutely wreck. Can't go melee, the AoEs alone will destroy you. Enjoy Eradicate spamming!)

So I've rerolled until the class gets some love, which I really hope it does, as I love Rogue-like classes, but ATM, Warrior and Cleric provide more viable--and, frankly, more fun--options.

I enjoy my Assassin/Bladedancer (31/35 or is it 35/31 ... can't remember). I can sneak around all day long, if I have to get up from the keyboard I can move out of the way of pathing monsters, go improved invis, and go AFK. If I am getting my butt handed to me, I can use "Slip Away" and rethink my plan of attack. Also, having Dancing Steel is simply awesome. It simply shreds a pack of monsters every couple minutes.

Yeah, there is a little down time between mobs, but that's why I carry 40 drinks on me per venture. I've never gotten below 10 before my packs were full of loot where I had to come back to town to sell anyway, so 2 slots for that, and maybe 20-40 health potions isn't all that bad (I have an Apoth on my other character).

Aside from being able to solo many things except elites that are above my level, my build allows me to be a heck of a harvester for plants, wood and skins. About the only better build for gathering would be a harvester, skinner, miner who was a "Duracell Cleric", but that's another story.

For me, being able to pick and choose when and where I attack (because of unlimited invisibility and slip away) is simply THE BOMB, and why I love my build.

As for WHY I picked this ... the reason is simple, I wanted to do something close to my characters name sake I was in Vanguard ... A Monk. This is about as close as I could come up with. Instead of "Feign Death" to get me past monsters and being able to go AFK, I have invisibility.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 08-17-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

+ Reply to Thread