+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Looking for a non one button spam DPS spec

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default Looking for a non one button spam DPS spec

    Almost 50 so I'm starting to look into various DPS specs, but so far ( correct me if i'm wrong ) it looks as though there are only a handful of competitive ones that all break down to only one or two macros. Are there any competitive DPS specs out there that have a bit more too them, then spam one button? Something with a priority system perhaps over a straight rotation? I love complicated DPS builds but everything so far comes across and painfully simple, I really hope there is something I'm missing here. That there is a depth too them I'm not picking up on.

    Thank you in advance for your time.
    Last edited by Selvar; 08-16-2011 at 07:37 AM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant sanosuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selvar View Post
    Almost 50 so I'm starting to look into various DPS specs, but so far ( correct me if i'm wrong ) it looks as though there are only a handful of competitive ones that all break down to only one or two macros. Are there any competitive DPS specs out there that have a bit more too them, then spam one button? Something with a priority system perhaps over a straight rotation? I love complicated DPS builds but everything so far comes across and painfully simple, I really hope there is something I'm missing here. That there is a depth too them I'm not picking up on.

    Thank you in advance for your time.
    might wanna try mage.. melee in generally is based on spamming skills and with the macro system in this game you benefit way more for macroing and spamming.. You could try something high ranger would be less spamming and more range of skills but your dps is going to be way behind people who are using things like sabdancer and hoku's...
    Last edited by sanosuke; 08-16-2011 at 07:40 AM.

  3. #3
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Selvar View Post
    Almost 50 so I'm starting to look into various DPS specs, but so far ( correct me if i'm wrong ) it looks as though there are only a handful of competitive ones that all break down to only one or two macros. Are there any competitive DPS specs out there that have a bit more too them, then spam one button? Something with a priority system perhaps over a straight rotation? I love complicated DPS builds but everything so far comes across and painfully simple, I really hope there is something I'm missing here. That there is a depth too them I'm not picking up on.

    Thank you in advance for your time.
    I don't think you did any research at all. The #1 DPS spec is Sabdancer, and it doesn't utilize any macros, except for periphery crap like popping cooldowns.

  4. #4
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Are there any competitive DPS specs out there that have a bit more too them, then spam one button? Something with a priority system perhaps over a straight rotation?
    1. Sab / BD is the most "complicated" upper-end build available at the moment. It uses 5 buttons for the core sequence, and uses 0 rotation-related macros for the common build.

    2. Priority rotations are completely macro-able. Fixed rotations require more macros, typically.

    3. The only Rogue build that has a higher degree of management is a priority-based BD/AS/NB build (e.g. not using Fiery Spike every cycle -- only when it's going to drop off and during DD charges), or an AS/BD/NB build with bleed maintenance. Note that the AS build is not really competitive. The BD/AS/NB build is on the fringe of competitive, and useful for specific mechanics.


    I really hope there is something I'm missing here. That there is a depth too them I'm not picking up on.
    Keeping the rotation stable through mechanics.

  5. #5
    Rift Master Yoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    669

    Default

    1. just dont use macros and every build gets deep and complicated. (well except sab)
    2. play a bard, keep debuffs up, motifs, healing and try to dps
    3. or use something like this. its the most painfull build i can imagine ,p

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....VGkf0coM.V0xz

    keep fiery, impale, baneful touch, and headshot up all the time. slip away every 2 mins and use jagged strike.

    or this (more easy)

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...R.VhxzhoR.VV0h

    just keep impale and fiery up, DS is your finisher. slip away for burst etc.
    Last edited by Yoma; 08-16-2011 at 07:51 AM.

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    sabdancer doesn't really use macros
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Wow I didn't expect this many replies this quickly ( thank you everyone ). Well this gives me something to work with at least as a start. I've always been a PvPer so just now trying to give the PvE side of things ago ( referencing MMO's in general ). I'll admit bard looks interesting, but the guild I'm looking at is mainly looking for DPS as of the moment. Overall I was just looking for a build ( that at least held its own ) that was complicated out of necessity to the build rather then self imposed, (like not using macros, though I don't discredit the idea ).

    Again thank you everyone for the advice.
    Last edited by Selvar; 08-16-2011 at 08:08 AM.

  8. #8
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    As a general note, Sab/BD has many different actual rotations that get used in the fight (if you want to maximize DPS):

    11134115 222225 Standard

    22234225 111115 Shraps and Spikes reversed due to mechanics

    11111415 Out of melee temp (no FOS), or preloaded before the fight
    22222415 Out of melee temp with charges reversed (no FOS)

    111115 Major range segment (no DS/DD)
    222225 Major range segment shraps, or preloaded immediate Incriminate when the fight starts


    11134115 11115 Two targets, spread

    22234225 22225 AOE pewpewpew


    I always find it ironic when people say that Sab/BD is mindless, when RA/BD ends up being:

    11123

    For the entire fight.

    Even BD/AS/NB is:

    12234

    If you use a fixed rotation it's:

    12224
    13334

    RA/MM is:

    12223
    22223

    This ****'s hard yo.

  9. #9
    Prophet of Telara Fiskerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    As a general note, Sab/BD has many different actual rotations that get used in the fight (if you want to maximize DPS):

    11134115 222225 Standard

    22234225 111115 Shraps and Spikes reversed due to mechanics

    11111415 Out of melee temp (no FOS), or preloaded before the fight
    22222415 Out of melee temp with charges reversed (no FOS)

    111115 Major range segment (no DS/DD)
    222225 Major range segment shraps, or preloaded immediate Incriminate when the fight starts


    11134115 11115 Two targets, spread

    22234225 22225 AOE pewpewpew


    I always find it ironic when people say that Sab/BD is mindless, when RA/BD ends up being:

    11123

    For the entire fight.

    Even BD/AS/NB is:

    12234

    If you use a fixed rotation it's:

    12224
    13334

    RA/MM is:

    12223
    22223

    This ****'s hard yo.
    QFT. The only thing more "complicated" than sabdancer is a deep assassin build
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

    I'm a homeless stray of a raider

  10. #10
    RIFT Guide Writer Hokonoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    might wanna try mage.. melee in generally is based on spamming skills and with the macro system in this game you benefit way more for macroing and spamming.. You could try something high ranger would be less spamming and more range of skills but your dps is going to be way behind people who are using things like sabdancer and hoku's...
    mages are that way. seriously, reroll now if you want a rotation at all, rogues do not have one, neither do warriors and clerics, only mages have dps rotations that require skill in this game.

    p.s. 32sin has a very hard rotation if you just want a hard rotation, but it has 0 aoe and will still lose to the hoko spec and sabdancer in single target fights due to it's rotation and lack of macros.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Zenora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I'm close to gearing up my mage :/ I've had just about as much as I can stand of bombs and one button spams outside of finishers. Which again we use pretty much one finisher.
    Last edited by Zenora; 08-16-2011 at 10:47 AM.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I laugh when people claim SAB/BD to be complicated, I play four different DPS specs, including BD/RNG, SAB/BD, RNG/MM, and NB/BD, out of all of them SAB/BD is easily the most mindless, repetitive, easymode spec people use, in other specs you have to break your rotation to keep buffs/debuffs up, if they fall off you take a huge hit to DPS, SAB/BD on the other hand is the same rotation no matter what the circumstances are, except for maybe replacing spike charge with shrapnel for heavy AoE encounters, which makes it even easier, there is a reason 98% of Rogues go the cookie cutter SAB/BD spec, it is easy and pro for meter padding.

    Also, people need to stop claiming it is the #1 DPS spec, unless you have a simulator to cut out all variables and to optimize gear for specs (crit vs. ap) no one can claim any spec is simply the best, if you do, you are ignorant.

  13. #13
    RIFT Guide Writer Hokonoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fattslice View Post
    I laugh when people claim SAB/BD to be complicated, I play four different DPS specs, including BD/RNG, SAB/BD, RNG/MM, and NB/BD, out of all of them SAB/BD is easily the most mindless, repetitive, easymode spec people use, in other specs you have to break your rotation to keep buffs/debuffs up, if they fall off you take a huge hit to DPS, SAB/BD on the other hand is the same rotation no matter what the circumstances are, except for maybe replacing spike charge with shrapnel for heavy AoE encounters, which makes it even easier, there is a reason 98% of Rogues go the cookie cutter SAB/BD spec, it is easy and pro for meter padding.

    Also, people need to stop claiming it is the #1 DPS spec, unless you have a simulator to cut out all variables and to optimize gear for specs (crit vs. ap) no one can claim any spec is simply the best, if you do, you are ignorant.
    i agree, i do more dps single target with hoko spec and the 32sin spec also does more dps, but that is based on my gear (I stack AP) im sure if i stacked crit i would do more dps with sabdancer, but i know better so i dont say any 1 spec is #1, it is based on your gear and weapons which is the best for you.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

  14. #14
    Prophet of Telara Fiskerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    i agree, i do more dps single target with hoko spec and the 32sin spec also does more dps, but that is based on my gear (I stack AP) im sure if i stacked crit i would do more dps with sabdancer, but i know better so i dont say any 1 spec is #1, it is based on your gear and weapons which is the best for you.
    That's why you tack on the disclaimer "between equally geared rogues". That doesn't mean they have the same exact gear it means that they both optimized for respective specs.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

    I'm a homeless stray of a raider

  15. #15
    Prophet of Telara Sozu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    i agree, i do more dps single target with hoko spec and the 32sin spec also does more dps, but that is based on my gear (I stack AP) im sure if i stacked crit i would do more dps with sabdancer, but i know better so i dont say any 1 spec is #1, it is based on your gear and weapons which is the best for you.
    Not sure what you mean by stacking AP. I'd assume you are full T3 gear meaning you pretty much stack crit too. Only thing i can think of where you would "stack AP" is on your source engine. Every other slot pretty much has both AP and crit, minus jewellry.

    Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

    YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts