+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stats/Damage Calculation Question

Shadowlander

Default Stats/Damage Calculation Question

This is something I have been trying to figure out for awhile, with no luck on my own.

1. How does attack power figure into damage calculation other than when a skill says, "An additional X% damage bonus from attack power is added."

2. When does it benefit me more to stack ap instead of crit (at 33% chance to crit now, before any buffs)

The second mainly applies to sabodancer spec (why I asked this in rogue forums).

As i understand it AP at base, with no modifier adds directly to your weapon DPS, so if you have a 29 dps weapon, and 500 ap, you should calculate as a 79 dps weapon. How specifically that translates into damage i am not quite sure, and it is probably nearly impossible to predict given the number of modifiers built into the souls/abilities.

As for crit, it depends on if you are raiding or not. Ideally you would hit exactly the crit soft cap in full raid buffs. Since in Sabdancer a LOT of that crit comes from pure DEX, you have to figure that Resonance (bard buff from all 3 motifs being up) will contribute more significantly than it might in other specs/callings.

This puts the recommended crit rating at 1000 before raid buffs/heroic pots. And you can adjust that number depending on what buffs you do/do not plan to receive. I have a separate source machine for my Sabdancer spec for this reason, since its crit rating is invariably higher than any other spec you are likely to run.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

+ Reply to Thread