+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ranged Support for Dungeons - Some off-heals with more damage

Default Ranged Support for Dungeons - Some off-heals with more damage

The idea of this build is to be a ranged support for 5-men experts:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Vz.x0x0q0Azd.V

The idea is to have something that can produce more damage than a bard, ranged, while still being able to play motifs and codas to eventually help with off-heals.

I'm using MM for it as an attempt to get hid of the regular pet thing, but I understand if we need to bring the ranger to the equation. I completed with RS for the Attack Power.

Observe the idea is that the build also allow some crowd control.

When supporting for off-heals, I had been using the 44 bard build but I'm disappointed with its damage output - I feel I can try to do more damage while still helping with little heals here and there.

After dropping a pedestal and having anthems and fanfares up, the fight is pretty much the rotation of a MM, plus renewing motif's and finishing with either CoR or one of the MM finishers (like Rapid Fire Shot etc.). The build also allow some AoE damage (better than pure bard's at least) and some "oh ****" moments, when you can do Riff/Virtuoso/CoR/CoR/CoR...

Opinions? Ideas?

I forgot one detail* There are also the debuffs with Cowardice and Distress.

Shield of Telara

I think you're spreading yourself too thin to be effective at either really... trying to use MM abilities makes you a terrible support and trying to support makes you a terrible dpser. If your group is undergeared to where you actually need a bard in dungeons(assuming it's T1/T2's) then you'll need the healing from cadence. I would suggest something along the lines of this

This will more than double your dps from a pure bard and allow you to heal okay as well. Just cadence ->power cord -> deadly strike and repeat.
    Snuggles - R40 Rogue : Snugglybear - R36 Mage
    <The Purge> - Seastone Server

I appreciate your feedback, but I think you missed the point where I want to make it a ranged and pve spec, for groups. When I'm partying with my guild I'm fine and usually I tank or DPS (with the classic Ranger spec). My problem is when I queue random for pugs, so I'm trying to get an optimal ranged solution for these occasions. Thanks for participating, anyway.

Hybrid bard is bad *** in dungeons. But I prefer to go with Assassin and Bladedancer.

I dont care what anyone says...Fervor is one of the best buffs in the game for dungeons. So if you can have fervor up at all times while still putting out 800-1000 DPS then things will be golden. Having a hybrid bard in your group instead of 3 full on DPS is WAY better. Take it from someone who has every dungeon achievement. Some of those achievements would not have happend without a hybrid bard.

The thing you need to remember when going hybrid bard in dungeons is you arent needed for heals. So you can immediately throw away 2 motifs. Mobs in expert dungeons are also rarely worth even debuffing since they die so fast. So basically just use damage buff motifs, keep fervor up, and go DPS crazy.

The only dungeon group where hybrid bard is not much benefit is a caster heavy group, since they dont really gain much benefit from Fervor when compared to Rogues and Warriors. But if you got 2 Rogues and a Warrior for DPS...Hybrid bard is AMAZING.

edit: Another thing to note is that Hybrid bard can heal just as good as a 51 point bard minus verse of vitality (big deal). So if things get messy, the hybrid bard can always bust out some deadly dance cadence action to help keep everyone afloat.
    Last edited by Sozu; 08-18-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

I think that a 31 ranger build would be more effective than MM. A chloro would be ideal for what you're trying to do.

I would instead try the 40 20 2 sab build. The increased DPS might make killing fast enough that support isn't needed on trash mobs and the rotation isn't any more complicated that Sozus
    Last edited by tebhi; 08-15-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    "All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ"

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeV View Post
    I think you're spreading yourself too thin to be effective at either really... trying to use MM abilities makes you a terrible support and trying to support makes you a terrible dpser. If your group is undergeared to where you actually need a bard in dungeons(assuming it's T1/T2's) then you'll need the healing from cadence. I would suggest something along the lines of this

This will more than double your dps from a pure bard and allow you to heal okay as well. Just cadence ->power cord -> deadly strike and repeat.
    Why does everyone think bard is only good for healing? Bard has the best damage buffs in the game. A hybrid bard intending on healing completely defeats the purpose. Hybrid bard should NEVER go more than 32 points.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Thanks for the great replies guys. So far we're almost getting where I'd like to be.

Sozu, your whole post makes all the sense in the world. The only detail is that I want to do a RANGED dps spec, so it's probably something on the lines of MM, Ranger or maybe Sab. As tebhi said, I have a feeling that Ranger will put more dps than the MM, I was just trying to avoid the pet.

Other than that, I think you guys got exactly the spirit. I don't want to go too deep in Bard, but I still want to be able to do Virtuoso for example (so I'd say 31 or 32 points tops, a little more if points on other trees are useless). If I go any deeper than let's say 35 or 36 points in bard, then I might as well go for 44 points and keep my current bard spec.

I think we can all come together with a RANGED dps build with around 32 points in Bard, who would be able to off-heal the "oh ****" moments while still being able to hurt the mobs effectively (at least hurt them much more than cadence spam).

Thanks!

EDIT: Almost forgot the main stuff... The 32 Bard won't only off-heal, but also BUFF the party and eventually DEBUFF mobs, which is a big advantage
    Last edited by Wight; 08-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Tebhi, if we take 3 points out of bard, we can get pedestal in MM which would be a no-brainer in my opinion. I didn't review the whole build but I'll take a look - I feel there are more things I'd switch too.

Considering, Tebhi's approach and improving a little bit...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...f0szVz.V0x0V0c

But I'm still not convinced; maybe it's better to just go deeper on the Ranger until 31, keep the 32 at bard (for Virtuoso and Fervor) and get the other 3 in RS?

Quote Originally Posted by Wight View Post
    Tebhi, if we take 3 points out of bard, we can get pedestal in MM which would be a no-brainer in my opinion. I didn't review the whole build but I'll take a look - I feel there are more things I'd switch too.
    Excellent idea

Besides the Bard/Ranger/MM URL I posted above, here's the Bard/Ranger/RS ("Banger" lol):

http://tinyurl.com/3n7cxwx

EDIT: I had to get a tiny url because my zam one had bad words in it... lol
    Last edited by Wight; 08-15-2011 at 03:00 PM.

that might just be the way to go

Also, it's hilarious that ZAM tosses those words in the link
    Last edited by tebhi; 08-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.

might want to toss those three points into bard. One for cadence heals and two in street performer. It's important to get that fervor to max percent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast