+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue tanking early on.

Soulwalker

Default Rogue tanking early on.

I'm a lvl 27 rogue. I am somewhat tired of the long DPS waits for instances. I'm trying to set up a tanking class (partially because I'm tired of tanks that don't know how to work certain bosses, its your job do your homework!) but I don't know how to go about it.
    First, which souls are best to go with the tanking soul?
    Lastly, how should I spread my points out early on? Should I go balls deep in the tank soul or work off of my other two souls a bit?

Shadowlander

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MpVN.xIz0usdozoz..xh

Here is a spec that I used at 27;

At 50 the ranger talents remain, BD gains quick reflexes (5) and strikeback (2) - and 51 in RS. When Iw as leveling I just added points to work towards that build.

Sicen your questions are about the build, and not rotation I hope this is what your looking for. Especially since there are not many things written about leveling as rogue tank, and mid range soul-builds.

Soulwalker

That does bring up a good question, how does the rogue tank rotation work out? I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of a rogue tank in the first place so I'd hate to take it into an instance and fail miserably. Teach me oh gifted one.
    Last edited by Antomus; 08-15-2011 at 09:05 AM.

At 27...

Buffs: Guardian Phase, Planebound Resilience, Predatory Instinct.

Combat Buffs:
    Keep 3 stacks of Phantom Blow up at all times

Finisher Combat Buffs:
    Rift Guard, Guarded Steel

Threat:
    AoE: Rift Disturbance when off cooldown - Use Shadow Blitz on pull however.
    ST: Phantom Blow (when you got < 10s left on buff duration) - Else use Planar Strike - Use Shadow Assault on pull tho.
    Rathi@Gelidra <Invictus>
    IRotP: Conqueror | NM TD: 4/4

Rift Disciple

go bard over ranger, the extra armor + HP is better than the damage reduction until you get into T1 raids.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0uozozoz.b.x0z

hardest part of rogue tanking is right after the pull when none of your buffs are up and you have 3 mobs on you. on harder pulls pop your CDs right before the pull to buy some time to set up buffs, if you don't have CDs put up a 2 pt rift guard asap, then a 2-3 point guarded steel, then 5 pt RG 5pt GS, cruise from there.

AOE is all about grouping the mobs up using LOS or blitzing the middle mob and dragging all the melee to the caster mob.

You'll figure out most of the details as you get more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerius View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MpVN.xIz0usdozoz..xh

Here is a spec that I used at 27;

At 50 the ranger talents remain, BD gains quick reflexes (5) and strikeback (2) - and 51 in RS. When Iw as leveling I just added points to work towards that build.

Sicen your questions are about the build, and not rotation I hope this is what your looking for. Especially since there are not many things written about leveling as rogue tank, and mid range soul-builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by anasurimbur View Post
    go bard over ranger, the extra armor + HP is better than the damage reduction until you get into T1 raids.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0uozozoz.b.x0z

hardest part of rogue tanking is right after the pull when none of your buffs are up and you have 3 mobs on you. on harder pulls pop your CDs right before the pull to buy some time to set up buffs, if you don't have CDs put up a 2 pt rift guard asap, then a 2-3 point guarded steel, then 5 pt RG 5pt GS, cruise from there.

AOE is all about grouping the mobs up using LOS or blitzing the middle mob and dragging all the melee to the caster mob.

You'll figure out most of the details as you get more experience.
    I was wondering why you both used Bladedancer, since the only skills they got on 0 point are some damage skills.

Rift Disciple

50% dodge for 15 seconds is amazing.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbz View Post
    I was wondering why you both used Bladedancer, since the only skills they got on 0 point are some damage skills.
    BD gives sidesteps, which is great for dungeons on trash packs. not only do u avoiud a lot of damage - but with strikeback its also an aggro tool.

Bard is useless after you're able to get the second tier in ranger. 6% damage reduction >>> 5% higher health, which a rogue tank has plenty of to begin with. Healers will have an easier time healing you; and that aside even the gain from ranger is better flat out, no matter how you try to justify it with other things.

The armor buff requires to many points that will take away from points in RS; not to mention it'll be pretty redundant since you will get an armor buff from another class a lot of times. It also causes you to get smaller riftguards, damage mitigation, and health that is in the RS tree (%ages of points spent in RS).

I leveled 2 rogue tanks and tried every single spec and researched every post i could find. I did use bard when at low levels, up to 27ish - sicne the first tier is mroe bang for the buck that the first tier of ranger. But I switched as soon as I could, especially the second time around.

Ranger also gives u a quick 3 point CP builder - splinter>blink w effect 3 pioints before u get hit, and not needing to rely on a range pull per se since cadence would give the mob time to run at you.

Rift Disciple

the armor buff requires 6 points, not taking anything away from RS. RS should always be maxed out at every level. the actual physical mitigation anthem of glory adds is almost on par with the ranger talent, and you get more health. the armor buff is never redundant because even if you have a bard in group he wouldn't be running glory. ranger does have better pull skills, but you can do every pull in the game without them.

+ Reply to Thread