+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Good, Up To Date, Bard sites?

Default Any Good, Up To Date, Bard sites?

I've been 50 for a bit and playing DPS roles a lot. But I want to start learning the bard role so I can be more versitile to my guild for raids. I've done a fair bit of reading here and some searching for other sites but haven't really found a good bard site that is kept up to date. The compendium thread here in our forums has a bard guilde but it looks to be for version 1.1 and hasn't been updated since April.

Can anyone direct me to a good bard site and/or an up to date raiding guide/thread for bards?

Thank you,

RIFT Community Ambassador Laughter's Avatar

I personally use 51 Bard / 5 Night Blade / 10 Riftstalker

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...dqiqskqz.V.V0x

I have been able to outheal the healer or keep up with them so far.

You use your Fanfare/Anthem according to your group make up.

Melee Heavy? Fanfare of Power
    Caster Heavy? Fanfare of Knowledge
    A Tank who needs a little extra loving? Fanfare of Vigor

I pretty much use Anthem of Fervor the reduce cost of abilities is always nice.

Always make sure to keep up:

Motif of Tenacity, Focus, Bravery, Grandeur, and Regeneration.

If the group needs lots of extra healing love i'll usually..

Cadence to 5 bubbles
    Coda of Restoration

And if they really need help.

Cadence to 5 bubbles
    Pop Virtuoso
    Spam Coda of Restoration

Verse of Vitality (1 min cooldown) Use it wisely when your group needs a quick pick me up.

Also it is important to keep up..

Coda of Cowardice and Coda of Distress.

If the group really doesn't need extra healing but they still want you to stay bard..

Cadence
    Power Cord
    Coda of Wrath

If you need to AoE

Cadence
    Power Cord
    Coda of Fury
    Last edited by Laughter; 07-18-2011 at 04:39 AM.

"I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

RIFT Community Ambassador Laughter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    Yeah that one is pretty awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    I would give the 5 in Blade Finesse, to Quick reflexes. unless you actually use Deadly Strikes. Beyond that identical to what i use. Usually i bard on the bosses and dps (different soul build) trash. So i keep my distance from the big guys unless required other wise.

Where to start?

1. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...dqiqskqz.V.V0x is not a bad build. But for T1s/T2s, it's excessive. I'd also take damage reduction over extra endurance, as it puts less strain on your healers. Secondly, if your base AP is lowish, it might be worth taking 6+ points in ranger for the 5% crit rate + 46 AP from Predatory Instincts, as opposed to rift stalker.
    2. People seem to get a bit confused on fanfares, and forget that fanfare of power also gives mitigation to your tank. It should be your default choice. A cleric tank may benefit more from Knowledge, but I'm not sure, as I haven't done the theory crafting. Either way: use Power. Only use Knowledge with careful consideration, based on what you think is needed the most.
    3. Fanfare of Vigor is almost useless. The likelihood of no one in your party having an endurance buff is very minimal. Any cleric with a few points in Sentinel or Purifier will. Unless they're going full warden, Vigor is pretty much obsolete. I don't think I've ever used it in a T2, certainly not in a raid.
    4. Anthem of Fervor is probably the best choice for T2s. If you have a chloro on main heal, switch in Defiance and get the Chloro to hit Living Energy. For some bosses, Anthem of Competence is far more useful than Fervor.
    5. Agreed that motifs need to be up at all times, and really want to emphasise this, as so many bards seem to think they're optional -_-

Motif refresh order is a red herring. If they don't fall off, refresh order doesn't matter. Except in fights where you can get immobilised for long periods of time, this won't be an issue. Bear in mind: Motif of Tenacity will be overwritten by Call to Entrench. This can make it difficult to time your refresh if you start with Tenacity. I usually start with Focus for this reason, although Grandeur is probably a better choice: I just find the purple icon easier to find in my buff bar.
    6. Deadly Dance bard builds are pointless for the following reasons:
      1. You lose out on Coda of Restoration, which is your most "useful" heal
      2. It forces you to go melee. Given that the fights you traditionally want a bard for (Calyx, Scarn, Caelia) are not particularly melee friendly, I wouldn't advise a melee bard build
      3. Cadence healing is pretty worthless (it's just too slow), and it can't be saved up (for example, through knockback phase of Caelia) for use later. It's not bad for fights that need trickle healing - but those ones really, really shouldn't need a bard anyway.
      4. Seriously, stop trying to mix EVERY soul with bladedancer. It's getting tiresome.
    7. Know the fights well. Know when to throw Verse of Vitality and Verse of Joy. Most bosses have a point where it's most useful. Caelia certainly does, as does Calyx. Be ready to throw it in an emergency, but don't throw it just because it's off cooldown.
    8. Finally: you really only need a bard build for the res, nowadays. They're so easy... ehhh... apart from Calyx the ancient, a decent cleric really should be able to soloheal the entire thing without trouble. Not to say Calyx isn't possible - just trickier.

I noticed you mentioned raiding at the end of your original post. The most important spec for raiding is this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0Mcpb.EIdqiqskqz.VIL If I had to choose one bard spec for raids (I run three), it would be this.

Stay alive. Always

(And you'd be surprised how useful Shadow Stalk is against Alsbeth)

You don't need to choose between Fanfare of Knowledge or Fanfare of Power in a raid - just use both. You can line of sight to split the buffs between casters and melee.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lalapooh View Post
    I would give the 5 in Blade Finesse, to Quick reflexes. unless you actually use Deadly Strikes. Beyond that identical to what i use. Usually i bard on the bosses and dps (different soul build) trash. So i keep my distance from the big guys unless required other wise.
    The whole point of that is to combine the Deadly Dance buff from Deadly Strike with the damage to heal conversion of cadence. You want to be in melee with it if at all possible. Otherwise 51Bard/8NB/7'Sin is better. Or 5NB/10RS if you want the AP (may be useful after 1.4).

Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    [*]Deadly Dance bard builds are pointless for the following reasons:
    [*]You lose out on Coda of Restoration, which is your most "useful" heal[*]It forces you to go melee. Given that the fights you traditionally want a bard for (Calyx, Scarn, Caelia) are not particularly melee friendly, I wouldn't advise a melee bard build[*]Cadence healing is pretty worthless (it's just too slow), and it can't be saved up (for example, through knockback phase of Caelia) for use later. It's not bad for fights that need trickle healing - but those ones really, really shouldn't need a bard anyway.[*]Seriously, stop trying to mix EVERY soul with bladedancer. It's getting tiresome.
    gotta disagree with you on these points. you have plenty of time while running out of melee badness to refresh motifs, or power chord. there is really no reason not to stand in melee if you pay attention. i have 0 issues barding any of the bosses you have listed, infact i have solo healed them many times. in terms of healing, it really depends on the rest of your healing set up. im often used as a raid healer for gp mainly, usually in raids im dps or tanking, depending on the encounter. most of the time coda of restoration is wasted, as people havent taken a ton of damage, and even when they do back to back bursts are seldom. using deadly strike doesnt mean you cant use resto, it just means you choose when to. pushing out 800+ hps, while giving all buffs and doing 350dps seems pretty ok.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

It's a common misconception that you need 8 points in Nightblade for Bard. 8rs/7rng is just better (http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....EIdqiqskqz.Vb). Ranged auto-attacks, the utility and the 10% reduction in dmg taken is so much more valuable than the extra +10 dmg on a Cadence tick. You're there as a buffer and to buffer (see what I did there?) the healing meters.

If you want to be a gimmicky healing Bard, definitely go for 51bard/13DD. It's useful as a secondary Bard but I personally hate it.
    http://Sunrest-Exiled.com
    Conqueror: Greenscale's Blight | Conqueror: River of Souls | Gilded Prophecy: 4/4 | Hammerknell Fortress: 4/11 | Drowned Halls: 4/4 | Prestige: 6/8

Rift Disciple

The best spec BY FAR if your talented is 51 bard, 13 bladedancer. (Other two points can go to whatever the hell you want)

You can say it's gimicky or bad but it is the best spec and I put my word on it.
    1200 HPS and 400 DPS in Raids on AoE heavy fights.

Now going into an AP build "might" be good in 1.4 but that is yet to be tested.
    If your not running 51, 13, your not doing your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
    The best spec BY FAR if your talented is 51 bard, 13 bladedancer. (Other two points can go to whatever the hell you want)

You can say it's gimicky or bad but it is the best spec and I put my word on it.

No!
    (The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)
    Last edited by joker225; 07-20-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Resistance View Post

The only thing in this answer that is accurate is your staement about AP being the best spec in 1.4. For many bards it already is the best spec and will be even better come 1.4, bards will be able to pump even more AP due to the rediciulous stat increase on the new tier gear. Furthermore CoR crits for crazy amounts witht he new AP scaling

DO NOT use DD spec

+ Reply to Thread