+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker Tanking

Shadowlander

Default Riftstalker Tanking

I'd like to see improvements to this soul build.

Now before i get jumped please let me explain lol.

Warriors, in my opinion, are the best tanks in the game at this point due to being able to utilize all the tanking stats/abilities and having the highest hitpoint values. Which is fine to me there always has to be a "best". However i find the Riftstalker lacking severely in the initial pull/damage area. I mean aside from clerics (who rely heavily on block) rogues are avoidance heavy tanks who have high dodge and parry (especially dodge). Which leads to spiked damage. Sometimes you will take 0 damage because your dodging/parrying it all or sometimes you'll take rows and rows of hard hits and just suddenly fall over. That's fine and all but we do we have to compensate for the lack of block and hps? They give us damage reduction abilities, armor increase, and dodge/parry increase. All of these abilities have to be kept up and take around 20-30 seconds to actually get up after the pull. So i have to hope on a hard hitting mob that i dodge/parry the initial hits as i get these buffs up and sustain them.

I'm going to reference WoW here (i know) but druids were the high avoidance tanks in that game and to suffice for that they gave them very high hps to take that initial damage and to deal with the spiking. When we pull what do we have? 30% flat buff and the 15% buff from plane shifting and again without avoiding we have no cushion there for that row of hits until we get our buffs up.

I honestly don't know what to suggest for a fix as i don't want them to overpowered or the best or anything i just would like to see something take that initial nomage away. Discuss away.

Really I do not think that riftstalkers need too much of a buff, being one as a main spec myself. Maybe a little more dodge or parry or up single target aggro a bit, but as it stands they have more hp than warriors do (i am at least 2k or so above the other warrior tanks in my guild with buffs). Maybe not going 51 points into riftstalker would put you lower than a warrior tank perhaps.

Warriors do have better aoe aggro, better avoidance (from speaking to one of our other warrior tanks. I have a bit more dodge at about 19% but my 6% parry is nothing near his 12% or so.). The block they have is basically covered by riftstalkers having the rift guard which absorbs 27.5% dmg (i think it is with 51 points?) but it works on ALL dmg 100% of the time if up, block only works on physical damage and not 100% of the time.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

About all I'd like is a way to get buffs up before a fight starts or something. Say, a no-aggro combo builder that could be used to get guarded steel up early.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Chaser

Wow. Just wow.

Let me give you a tip. You do not need to build up five combo points before you use Guarded Steel. You get the same mitigation at one point as you do at five. Starting your first Guarded Steel rotation at only 1-2 points might make you re-think your (wrong) belief that Riftstalkers have a build-up time.

Lastly, Riftstalkers are the best tanks in the game. They don't need love.
    Last edited by Revial; 07-17-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    About all I'd like is a way to get buffs up before a fight starts or something. Say, a no-aggro combo builder that could be used to get guarded steel up early.
    ive seen riftstalkers use rift prison on a mob and then cadence to build combo points, it didnt pull the group

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    ive seen riftstalkers use rift prison on a mob and then cadence to build combo points, it didnt pull the group
    Yes, but that requires having bard, which is a waste of 3 points. (Bosses can't miss, and they can't crit if you have enough toughness, so street smart is useless. They can be dodged.)

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by SoAnIs View Post
    Yes, but that requires having bard, which is a waste of 3 points. (Bosses can't miss, and they can't crit if you have enough toughness, so street smart is useless. They can be dodged.)
    bosses can miss
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Soulwalker

Only thing that a Riftstalker currently needs or should be addressed is once you are with players who put out really high amounts of damage is better aggro..

Warrior builds have it much easier..

other than that.. Riftstalker tanking is fine.

Champion

riftstalker just needs more aoe threat, and better scaling with +dodge (20% in tier 2-3 gear seems really low to me)

Quote Originally Posted by SoAnIs View Post
    ok, if you prefer ranger to bard (did something change that made bard useless? or is it still just an opinion) then just rift prison and swift shot or whatever the basic attack is to get some combo points

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    bosses can miss
    This.

I keep seeing people say that bosses can't miss. I have been missed by several raid bosses.

Though, it honestly does not seem to happen at the 2% rate claimed by the usual 2 points in Street Smart. I don't know what the actual % is, but it does seem smaller than that.

Best I can figure is that bosses have hit rating just like players do, and the fact that they're 2 levels higher than us, the level difference (and thus hit rating is more powerful) partially makes up for that 2% from Street Smart. Overall, those points are probably not worth their price, but if you are going 51rs/8rng/7brd (the best spec for all of the most difficult current raid bosses), there really isn't anywhere else to put those 2 points for a defensive bonus.
    Last edited by Xeptix; 07-17-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    Xep - 50 Rogue Tank for <Fires of Heaven>

Rift Disciple

The only thing I feel that riftstalker tanks are missing is a single target interrupt for spells. We can get this in other trees but it is not in our own tree. For trash mobs prison or porting the mob can do this for us. But it doesn't work on bosses.

I wouldn't mind a purge either but even some warrior tank specs and cleric specs don't have a purge so I can live without that.

If I could ask for one more thing to make our jobs easier it would be a non cool down move to hit 6-8 targets for threat. Some of the other tank builds have this far better then we do.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwork View Post
    Only thing that a Riftstalker currently needs or should be addressed is once you are with players who put out really high amounts of damage is better aggro..

Warrior builds have it much easier..

other than that.. Riftstalker tanking is fine.
    I would like to see riftstalker physical damage reduction improved and give us someway to put buffs up outside of combat. I dont know how void knights do it, but they can gain and maintain packs outside of combat so they can go into a fight fully buffed.

rogues need spotters order.

Quote Originally Posted by Korzald View Post
    The only thing I feel that riftstalker tanks are missing is a single target interrupt for spells. We can get this in other trees but it is not in our own tree. For trash mobs prison or porting the mob can do this for us. But it doesn't work on bosses.

I wouldn't mind a purge either but even some warrior tank specs and cleric specs don't have a purge so I can live without that.

If I could ask for one more thing to make our jobs easier it would be a non cool down move to hit 6-8 targets for threat. Some of the other tank builds have this far better then we do.
    You could do something like this for a 10 sec interrupt. You're not giving up a ton to get it.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....EItIuqdRkkR.h

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast