+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogue tanking

Default Rogue tanking

I decided to make a riftstalker/bard/bladedancer tank spec - joined a normal AP and told them its my very first ever attempt at tanking at this spec or in this game- well to say the least it was a disaster I got my behind handed to me in every single fight with bosses and adds- is it THAT hard to tank a rogue or am i missing something- please any tips and what's the rotation? I spammed all my aggro focusing ability's and still lost aggro to others and i still died after a few hits.

Any tips as to how or what i can do to improve survivability and help me maintain aggro please?
    it means whatever just happened is worse than an "error #2000" but not as bad as an "error #2002"?
    Huh?

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

I need to just write a guide on this. First of all, never say something like "hay guys i never done this before lol" because that is just setting yourself up to get raged at. It's the nature of the internet.

Use this spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...uqdRkkR.x0d.xb

There are other variations and they have their merits, but this one is the most balanced, in terms of threat, avoidance and survivability. Once you're comfortable tanking, you can start branching out and trying new things.

On AOE pulls, you should do this:
    1. Shadow Blitz a central mob
    2. Guarded Steel
    3. Rift Disturbance
    4. Phantom Blow
    5. Rift Guard
    After this, just build combo points with Phantom Blow and Planar Strike, while casting Rift Disturbance every cooldown. Keep all 3 buffs up in this priority: Rift Guard, Guarded Steel, False Blade. Tab target after every finisher and 2 or 3 point finishers are fine until all your buffs are up.

On single target pulls:
    1. Shadow Blitz or Shadow Assault
    2. Guarded Steel
    3. Planar Strike
    4. Rift Guard
    After this, alternate Phantom Blow and Planar Strike until you have 3 stacks of Phantom and then cast Phantom once per rotation. To begin, you will use 2 point combos to get your 3 buffs up, then use 5 point combos to keep them up, rotating your 3 buffing finishers with the same priority: Rift Guard, Guarded Steel, False Blade.

Be ready with cooldowns. Side Steps is great to pop at the start of AOE pulls, especially if you're having trouble with threat or with dying. Side Steps reduces your damage taken by a lot and also gives you threat with Strike Back. It's great.

Use Scatter the Shadows as your last resort button when you're about to die, and use Planar Refuge if you foresee some kind of burst coming (a patrol is about to aggro, or the boss is about to use a high damage attack and you're below 50% health, that kind of thing).

Rogue is a very active tank. You have a lot to manage and you need to keep aware of whats going on around you at the same time. If you forget to keep Rift Guard up, you'll die. If you forget to keep Guarded Steel up, you'll lose aggro.

Keep trying and it will get easier, but please, don't say things that indicate you're a noob. The mobs won't care and your party will just get mad.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ianb4all View Post
    I decided to make a riftstalker/bard/bladedancer tank spec - joined a normal AP and told them its my very first ever attempt at tanking at this spec or in this game- well to say the least it was a disaster I got my behind handed to me in every single fight with bosses and adds- is it THAT hard to tank a rogue or am i missing something- please any tips and what's the rotation? I spammed all my aggro focusing ability's and still lost aggro to others and i still died after a few hits.

Any tips as to how or what i can do to improve survivability and help me maintain aggro please?
    Here are 3 excellent posts/threads/blogs from Skilled Rogues - priceless information to help you out...

http://tanktelara.com/forums/blog/6/...nking-and-you/

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Mechanics-2.0

...and my personal favourite from isomalt...

http://unstablerift.com/?q=node/171

^^ Read them and take it all in, some excellent well thought out and put into practice information within. The second link which is a forum post on here, read through it as others have input some extra info too.

Practice and confidence and if you're unsure, start off on normal T1's so you get a feel for the fights themselves. Tankspot's Rift section also have excellent videos/guides posted up, from a top class guild and top class Rogue tanks from Deepwood - well worth a look over to get a feel beforehand if you're unsure about stepping into things a little blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    I need to just write a guide on this.
    Please just stop

Quote Originally Posted by Nehaxak View Post
    Deepwood
    Ah, things are starting to make sense.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 07-16-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Koe

On single target pulls:
    1. Shadow Blitz or Shadow Assault
    2. Guarded Steel
    3. Planar Strike
    4. Rift Guard
    Should still be using Rift Disturbance on ST fights.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    Should still be using Rift Disturbance on ST fights.
    True, but not important for maintaining threat.

Shadowlander

True, but not important for maintaining threat.
    What?

That's actually the primary reason to use it... Rift Disturbance is the single highest threat producing ability you have. How do you think it holds aggro on things you never even target even while it has an 8 second cooldown?
    Last edited by Xeptix; 07-16-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Xep - 50 Rogue Tank for <Fires of Heaven>

General of Telara

To offer an alternative build suggestion for tanking normal instances, not anything harder as I don't know how well it would work for them, I propose this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...qzozkM.E00c.xh

It won't have quite the survivability or HP buffer of more traditional builds while also having a slower pull time, but it'll give you the freedom to pop one (Rift Guard) or two (Guarded Steel) 5 point finishers within seconds of started combat. Adhesive and Chemical Bombs will also give you the capacity to slow down strings of adds and get them running through AoE DoT in the event they're not all within the radius of any of your other AoE attacks.

Not sure I'd recommend it for T1/T2 5-MANS until/unless you're no longer using them to get gear, but it might be workable even in them. I'd discommend it entirely for high-quality raiding however.

What it boils down to is that Rogue tanks are squishy and have weak aggro generation until you've got your finishers up. Then you've got four buffs up that you need to make damn sure never drop, otherwise again your threat and/or survivability go in the toilet.

If you can manage to get your DPS to hang back for a few seconds at the start of a pull, it should be fine. If you're in a group with people who can't follow simple instructions and insist on doing max DPS the moment you start combat, quit as soon as your dungeon queue cooldown's up and find a more cooperative group. Lots of people are too used to warrior tanks, who have crazy AOE threat and get almost all of their mitigation completely passively and don't run the risk of taking such big damage spikes at the start of a pull.

Rift Disciple

I resent the statement about people can't open up DPS instantly.
    When I tank, my raid starts within a second or two (and thats just to get near the boss)
    I have never lost aggro once on a boss fight, and I run 51 RS, 8 Ranger, 7 Bard.

A good trick to learn is to not let your buffs drop. Time it so you refresh guarded steel and guard right at the end of a pull, then hurry to the next pull.

Good knowledge of the dungeons helps too. Some pulls you need use CDs on the pull if buffs are down.

Rift Chaser

Ah, things are starting to make sense.
    If that's supposed to be a sleight on me, I play on Dayblind PvP server with my Rogue.
    The folks that posted the excellent tankspot vids are on Deepwood, a PVE server, seeing as most of them concentrate on pve.

Try harder next time, you're looking more foolish with each post you make.

Telaran

I

If you forget to keep Guarded Steel up, you'll lose aggro.
    What does Guarded Steel have to do with aggro?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Xeptix View Post
    What?

That's actually the primary reason to use it... Rift Disturbance is the single highest threat producing ability you have. How do you think it holds aggro on things you never even target even while it has an 8 second cooldown?
    Umm... Planar Strike generates "A very large amount of threat". This move is the highest threat generation attack in the game.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Not4dead View Post
    What does Guarded Steel have to do with aggro?
    Improved Guarded Steel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast