+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BD VS Marksman in mostly SOLO PVE Build

Soulwalker

Default BD VS Marksman in mostly SOLO PVE Build

So i've been mostly soloing around for a bit with this build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1McVN.Vcko.x0b.L

So far it seems pretty good (lvl17)... Since around lvl10 i've only died in Rift and Invasion encounters.

I decided to try swapping out the BladeDancer for a Marksmen due to good reports about that build... like so
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McNf.Vck..xGb

And i'm dying all the time as mobs seem to ignore the pet and head straight for me half the time.
    Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Killer Of Names View Post
    And i'm dying all the time as mobs seem to ignore the pet and head straight for me half the time.
    Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.
    Make sure the pet is using the "Quills" ability...it's a taunt that makes it keep aggro. I think you turn it on with a right click, so there is a moving golden border.

Hope this helps.

Plane Walker

dont bother with bladedancer till you are 25+.

ranger till level 30 is pretty common. Its very fast and very safe. having a pocket tank is invaluable. If things get hairy just leave it to die.
    Last edited by XEshamX; 07-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jural View Post
    Make sure the pet is using the "Quills" ability
    Thanks for the advice. "Quills" doesn't show though. There is only "Pummel" and "Charge" alongside the aggressive / defensive / passive and attack / follow / stay modifiers.
    Does this ability come with more Ranger points?

I'm pumping more points into the Ranger / BD build so that I can get a Dire Wolf but wasn't going to bother with the marksman.

My motivation at any rate is to have a build that can do more in a Rift situation than just sit at the sidelines pulling easy Bard moves to keep my pet alive - whilst still being somewhat ranged.

The BD / Bard / Ranger build is certainly very good for Solo PVE though.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by XEshamX View Post
    dont bother with bladedancer till you are 25+.
    You really think so. I doubt I'd have made it to LVL17 without the combination of strike combos and bard / cadence healing.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

You really think so. I doubt I'd have made it to LVL17 without the combination of strike combos and bard / cadence healing.
    Troll revealed.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Troll revealed.
    How so?

I'm just curious cos I don't see many Blade Dancer / Bard / Ranger builds around.

Plane Walker

All i meant is you can just go heavy ranger and nothing else to fly through levels 1-30.

I think i actually did it with 0 point ranger and dumped the rest into just bladedancer and maybe riftstalker, can't recall it was awhile ago.

The 0 point ranger pet can hold aggro fine and as long as you train the skill it will do fine.

But going heavy ranger works well and its fast leveling. Just stick with the boar pet. its the tank. Wolf is more dps and so is the raptor.
    Last edited by XEshamX; 07-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Soulwalker

All i meant is you can just go heavy ranger and nothing else to fly through levels 1-30.
    I see. Feels to me like the bard healing effect is pretty worthwhile with the boar.

But going heavy ranger works well and its fast leveling.
    OK. I guess i'm more interested in survivability solo than leveling ;)

Just stick with the boar pet. its the tank. Wolf is more dps and so is the raptor.
    Right. So if I went 0 point ranger would you suggest putting the available skills into the Blade Dancer for that build?
    Cos it seemed like you were suggesting not to worry about the BD yet?
    Last edited by Secret Killer Of Names; 07-15-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks for the advice. "Quills" doesn't show though. There is only "Pummel" and "Charge" alongside the aggressive / defensive / passive and attack / follow / stay modifiers.
    Does this ability come with more Ranger points?
    I'm not sure. Just make sure your pet is using an ability that draws threat. You will have to look at the ability descriptions. There is also a spell or ability in Ranger that give threat back to your pet, to get the mobs off of you. Might want that in a macro, or whatever.

Plane Walker

Cos it seemed like you were suggesting not to worry about the BD yet?
    Ya i seem to be contradicting myself.

My first rogue i did ranger till 20ish and it was easy but i got bored with just ranged arrows all day long. I changed to bd+riftstalker after that Just enough in riftstalker to get rift scavenger and the rest into bladedancer.

Its really up to you though at the end of the day. Imo bard is overkill though if you get rift scavenger (13 pts) from rift stalker.

That talent will give you 0 downtime all the way to 50 when it comes to leveling.
    Last edited by XEshamX; 07-16-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Soulwalker

Imo bard is overkill though if you get rift scavenger (13 pts) from rift stalker.
    Interesting, I can see that working. Would you then rely on "Rejuvenate" to heal the pet or just let it die and recast?

Telaran

No pet needed or wanted with bd/rs. Sin (for stealth and dps) or mm (a few points only to be able to range occassionally, rng is fine too really) make good 3rd.

Flash of steel 5cp finish 2-3cp mob dies FOS repeat etc No downtime. Aoe with bd 31pt and twin strike. Stealth if you want to open (optional) or to avoid/instigate ganking.

I had my first 1k crit at 34 with this build. Its super fun, nice survivability, no downtime.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by cdale View Post
    No pet needed or wanted with bd/rs. Sin (for stealth and dps)
    Sin == Assassin?

Thanks Jural, XE and cdale for all the comments BTW

Am currently trying the bd / rs / rng with pet and it seems to work though I'm not sure how. Maybe rift guard?

Soulwalker

Hiya. The Quills ability you was talking about is for the Greater Razorbeast and the pet doesnít get that ability until you spend 24 points in the ranger tree, and when you first summon the boar that ability isnít activated, you have to right click it to make it autocast, also itís an aoe as well. Hope that helps. Happy killing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast