+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noxious Maul doesn't work well for DPS? Bug with maces?

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default Noxious Maul doesn't work well for DPS? Bug with maces?

I can't explain it, but for some reason the Noxious Maul does not seem to hit any harder than my Stiletto of the Serpent for any special attacks.

I find this strange as the Maul is 3 DPS higher than the Stiletto and should hit considerably harder, but does not seem to. Feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 07-15-2011 at 08:06 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Are you using whetstones? Due to the larger effect of whetstones on daggers, a 33.6 dps dagger is actually almost exactly the same dps as a 37.8 mace when using whetstones.

Rift Chaser

i found a "bug" similar to this where i swapped which hand my weapons were in (29 dps mainhand, 34 dps offhand) to see how much dps more one did than the other and found that when i swapped the 34 dps weapon to my main hand it was doing less then when the 29 dps one was in my main hand

what i'm saying is make sure your out of combat before swapping what hand your weapons in

i think this bug still exists.

if you have a slow weapon in your MH, and a faster one in your OH, and start attacking, then swap hands mid combat, you will see higher numbers for the faster weapon in your MH.

i tested this back in the day with an abyssal hatchet and an eviscerator. hatchet is 29 dps, evis is 24 dps. when the dagger was swapped to my MH, it would hit significantly harder than the hatchet. after i left combat and kept the weps as is, it was noticeably weaker when attacking again.
    Last edited by Soull; 07-15-2011 at 10:19 AM.

I think the better question to ask is why a rogue has the Noxious Maul...
    http://Sunrest-Exiled.com
    Conqueror: Greenscale's Blight | Conqueror: River of Souls | Gilded Prophecy: 4/4 | Hammerknell Fortress: 4/11 | Drowned Halls: 4/4 | Prestige: 6/8

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Are you using whetstones? Due to the larger effect of whetstones on daggers, a 33.6 dps dagger is actually almost exactly the same dps as a 37.8 mace when using whetstones.
    That would be my guess as well. 33.6 + 24/1.8 = 47.0ish vs. 37.8 + 24/2.7 = 46.7 ish, yeah?
    Sanguinary < WDTEHJ >
    Rogue deeps
    17/17 Raid T1 (ROS conquerer) | 4/11 HK

Quote Originally Posted by Reamerer View Post
    That would be my guess as well. 33.6 + 24/1.8 = 47.0ish vs. 37.8 + 24/2.7 = 46.7 ish, yeah?
    Got it. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnanever View Post
    Herp, meet Derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Soull View Post
    i think this bug still exists.

if you have a slow weapon in your MH, and a faster one in your OH, and start attacking, then swap hands mid combat, you will see higher numbers for the faster weapon in your MH.

i tested this back in the day with an abyssal hatchet and an eviscerator. hatchet is 29 dps, evis is 24 dps. when the dagger was swapped to my MH, it would hit significantly harder than the hatchet. after i left combat and kept the weps as is, it was noticeably weaker when attacking again.
    This is true, however any change to your attack power will cause a recalculation that will correct the error in combat, so unless you have no bard motifs or anything of that nature, you can't actually do anything with this except beat on the dummy.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tnanever View Post
    notsureifserious
    Rage of Dragons (Dayblind - PvP)
    Formerly Leaf/Faze on Reclaimer.
    Leafe - 50 Rogue
    Phraze - 50 Cleric

Soulwalker

Still though, Whetstones on both are still about the same in terms of auto attack dps , cept all abilitys using the mace should be hitting harder for an increase of dps, or am i missing something

Quote Originally Posted by Dexorcist View Post
    Still though, Whetstones on both are still about the same in terms of auto attack dps , cept all abilitys using the mace should be hitting harder for an increase of dps, or am i missing something
    You're missing something. Auto attacks hit harder with the maul because they are not normalized. All abilities hits are about the same, because they are normalized and maul is getting less of a boost from the whetstone.

So by that logic & adding in spotter's orders...
    29.2 dps daggers vs 34 dps axe would be

29.2 + (29 / 1.8) = 45.3 on 29.2 dps daggers + whetstones & spotters
    34 + (29 / 1.8) = 46.08 on 34 dps axe + whetstones & spotters

does that mean t2 dungeon daggers in a raid setting would be close to the same dps as a 34 dps raid axe?

Maul is terrible for DPS, confirming it. Had it for months, I've tested it against regular epic daggers and there's little difference. Good hit though!

Probly still better then an epic axe.

It's just too slow.

Also Nadger, I don't think so. Remember all this crap scales. You only get into large disparities at the super high end. At lower item levels, the difference are not as pronounced, so the DPS probly trumps speed easilly.

+ Reply to Thread