+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Physical Crit Soft Cap [Updated for 1.4]

Qan

Default Physical Crit Soft Cap [Updated for 1.4]

From 1.4 notes:
    COMBAT
    In anticipation of Hammerknell level items entering the game we’ve adjusted certain Combat rating diminishing returns. These changes should only affect fully raid buffed characters in Hammerknell or better equipment.
    * Physical Crit, Spell Crit, and Block ratings have both soft and hard caps updated. These caps only affect the bonuses from your base rating and have no effect on percentage-based bonuses from abilities, buffs, and debuffs.
    * Physical Crit: Now soft caps at 45%, and the return per point of Physical Crit rating above 45% is reduced. Hard caps at 60%.
    Bard (Fanfares and Resonance), Archon (Vitality of Stone), and Powersurge Vials are turned into crit rating on the stat sheet and are subject to diminishing returns.

These do not suffer from diminishing returns:
    Ruthlessness - 5% Crit - Assassin
    Lethal Poison - 5% Crit - Assassin
    Motif of Focus - 5% Crit - Bard
    Eagle Eye - 5% Crit - Ranger
    Feral Instincts - 3% Crit - Ranger
    Earthen Barrage - 5% Crit - Archon

Before 45% Soft Cap (1187 rating)
    1% Crit = 26.375 rating

After 45% Soft Cap
    1% Crit = 131.75 rating

This is a 5x increase, more details can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/riftcritcap

[Hard Cap is achieved at 60% or ~3165 rating.]
    Last edited by Qan; 09-15-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: clarification
    Rogue DPS BiS | Critical Hit | Soft Cap: 1187 | Hard Cap: 3163
    Retired | ANet: Qan.4672 | Steam: qankriegor

Jesus tap dancing christ. A 5 times increase?

"At 45% crit in crit rating? Avoid it like the plague! It's wasted itemization."
    Let's just thank Christ that they got rid of twinking. It truly lacked any skill to twink.

Quote Originally Posted by Qan View Post
    From 1.4 notes:

Bard (Fanfares and Resonance), Archon (Vitality of Stone), and Powersurge Vials get diminishing returns.

The only things that do not suffer from diminishing returns are:
    Ruthlessness - 5% Crit - Assassin
    Lethal Poison - 5% Crit - Assassin
    Motif of Focus - 5% Crit - Bard
    Eagle Eye - 5% Crit - Ranger
    Feral Instincts - 3% Crit - Ranger
    Earthen Barrage - 5% Crit - Archon

Before 45% Soft Cap
    1% Crit = 26.375 rating

After 45% Soft Cap
    1% Crit = 132 rating

This is a 5x increase, more details can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/riftcritcap
    Ok, I still dont get how this is affected.
    Might have misread but I will still ask.

Crit chance increase from talents and poisons (which you posted) don't contribute to soft/hard cap?
    For example you have 30% base crit from gear.
    Now let's say you spec 5 points in ranger and 8 points in Sin. Now you have 5% crit+5% crit+5% crit from poison giving you a total of 45% chance to crit.
    Now let's say you get a bard to cast fanfare of power. Is fanfare of power contribution based on 45% crit (so soft cap) or regular crit (30%)?
    Last edited by joker225; 07-14-2011 at 11:08 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

I understood it so that the soft and hard caps only affect critical hit chance we receive from crit rating. Stat buffs such as fanfare of power give dexterity which then gives crit rating. Diminishing returns start at 1187 crit rating. Straight up +crit talents and buffs/debuffs are not counted for diminishing returns.

In any case this is a big nerf to us since our gear gives a lot of dex and crit. In fact even GSB/RoS level gear hits that softcap without buffs if you are stacking crit. So the statement that it should only affect people with HK gear or better and even then only when buffed is extremely wrong. It might be so for warriors but certainly not rogues. Sabdancer build gets hit the hardest by this since it has 7 levels of +dex and the build scales poorly with AP.

Rift Disciple

lol in basically only t2 gear (like 2-3 pc from raid rifts) I already have 39% crit self buffed in my sabdancer spec. Stacking ap just became even more FOTM
    http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/2862/lobstercopyq.jpg

Qan

Quote Originally Posted by joker225 View Post

Crit chance increase from talents and poisons (which you posted) don't contribute to soft/hard cap?
    Now let's say you spec 5 points in ranger and 8 points in Sin. Now you have 5% crit+5% crit+5% crit from poison giving you a total of 45% chance to crit.
    Now let's say you get a bard to cast fanfare of power. Is fanfare of power contribution based on 45% crit (so soft cap) or regular crit (30%)?
    The buffs and talents that I mentioned above that give a +crit percentage are not affected by diminishing returns.
    Only your rating is affected, if it passes 1187.

I hope I understood your question correctly.
    Last edited by Qan; 07-21-2011 at 12:31 PM.

" don't care long hair like a navahoe!"
    pretty much what gery said : /
    But depending on when 1.4 is actually launched we may have time in hammerknell to work out the tinks. Imo though if you have full durnes and a well balanced sigil ( or a couple) you'll be fine and doing the damage that trion intended. and we'll see how this affects hammerknell drops.
    Click above to apply
    |Guardian|Rogue|

Hoko, stacking AP since 1.2. Good things ahead for me.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Rift Disciple

So pretty much you want to aim for about 1000 crit in whatever build you use without any consumables or raid buffs if you don't want to run into DR.

Quote Originally Posted by joker225 View Post

This was the first question that came into my mind as well. If the soft cap counts off from the bonuses from assassin/ranger that would be so stupid because i change my souls around A LOT and i dont want to have to be changing my runes to pure AP because i dont need more crit.
    Blakjak
    Liquidus - Defiant - Keenblade

Message me in the game if you want to chat...

Champion of Telara

1187 rating soft cap - Bard 5% crit motif (which will now be a 132 crit rating motif?) = 1055 buff crit rating (current patch).

The Vitality of Stone and other buffs are already counted towards DEX, which translates to the crit rating we already see. The 5% crit motif is the only change here, which actually hurts.

So, if you're pushing past 1055 crit rating with raid buffs already, time to start shifting gear to heavier AP.

You're thinking of it wrong. To clarify, for all people reading this thread and having a hard time:

THE CONVERSION FROM CRIT RATING TO CRIT% IS SOFTCAPPED.

Your actual crit% is not.

Anything that makes your CRIT RATING go up is subject to getting nailed after 1187. Fanfare of Power gives DEX, DEX gives CRIT RATING. Therefore Fanfare of Power will help you run into the brick wall that is 1187.

If something says "+% CRIT CHANCE", then you get the effect, no matter what.

If something says "+DEX, +CRIT RATING" then it will be part of the <1187.

Qan

You want 1048 without any buffs. (Resonance is not taken into account here, it's closer to 1000)
    Raid buffs that add crit rating are: 52(bard) 52(archon) 35(powersurge)
    52+52+35=139
    1187-139= 1048

%crit talents are going to be worth a hell of a lot more with 1.4
    Last edited by Qan; 07-15-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Champion of Telara

Note: disregard my motif comment. I always forget which one's the motif and which is the fanfare.

Yes it was to my understanding the soft cap only takes what's from your gear as the crit number

so the first number when you mouse over physical crit is the number you should be looking at if you're worried about soft caps

i.e. if you have ranger crit on your crit on mouse over will look like

41.528 + 5 = 46.528 (not really over softcap)

You should be looking at the 41.528

<BREAKING BADS> : HK 11/11 : ID 5/8 : Main Bard
    Breakings Bads is currently looking for an amazing INFERNAL DAWN Ready MAGE. Apply at Breaking Bads Website

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    1187 rating soft cap - Bard 5% crit motif (which will now be a 132 crit rating motif?) = 1055 buff crit rating (current patch).

The Vitality of Stone and other buffs are already counted towards DEX, which translates to the crit rating we already see. The 5% crit motif is the only change here, which actually hurts.

So, if you're pushing past 1055 crit rating with raid buffs already, time to start shifting gear to heavier AP.

You're thinking of it wrong. To clarify, for all people reading this thread and having a hard time:

THE CONVERSION FROM CRIT RATING TO CRIT% IS SOFTCAPPED.

Your actual crit% is not.

Anything that makes your CRIT RATING go up is subject to getting nailed after 1187. Fanfare of Power gives DEX, DEX gives CRIT RATING. Therefore Fanfare of Power will help you run into the brick wall that is 1187.

If something says "+% CRIT CHANCE", then you get the effect, no matter what.

If something says "+DEX, +CRIT RATING" then it will be part of the <1187.
    If what you say is true Then in PVP Bards.. rarely as it it anyways, NEED to be playing Endurance Fanfar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast