+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So I've hit 50 and need advice on tanking gear...

Default So I've hit 50 and need advice on tanking gear...

As the title says pretty much - I've hit 50, and although I can see lots of advice on raid gear and BiS I see nothing for the humble level 50 tank rogue.

I've bought the event tanking neck and picked up one epic mace (chance of a shield) off the AH

What I am looking for is advice on simple things, do I go for dex or endurance or ? for runes/augments. Is there a switching point, ie 8000 HP then switch to dex.

What lesser & greater essences should I use?

What should I get crafted?

Where do I go for good instance drops? (Most drop lists seem incomplete since they added new drops in 1.2?, as do most lists of items in general) Are there any useful notoriety rewards?

I'm assuming the first plaque purchase would be the belt as I don't recall seeing belts drop on a regular basis....?

Am I right in thinking I need to get hit i.e. 50 for T1 and 100 for T2 else I will struggle to hit mobs and thus not build CP's?

Lastly which is better, Parry or Dodge?

I guess I'm looking for a lvl 50 starting guide to tanking 101....

Shield of Telara

thre are a bunch of tanking guides on here that roll from fresh 50. check them out most are decent atleast.
    Last edited by BlackZilla; 07-14-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Well OK, then I'm not using the correct search string "rogue tank" yields 8 pages of nothing but "whats the best dps for Rogue" or "Stop Warriors Rolling On My Gear Plx" threads.

So any links would be good

Shadowlander

Just focus on Endurance. The other stats will come in the process. There are really only a couple "avoidance stat" items that don't automatically have a lot of endurance, so the pursuit of either will reach the same ends.

Focus on toughness slots first for plaque purchases, 50 toughness for t1's, 100 toughness for t2's, and just plug away tanking instances. You'll get lots of dropped upgrades and the plaques will fill in the unlucky slots.

Try to run the daily rift raid every single day, you NEED 6 purple essences, that's the equivalent of 3-4 pieces of t3 gear stat-wise.

Dodge is better than Parry mostly just because the conversion rate for dodge rating to actual dodge % is much, much higher for a rogue than that of parry. Likewise, dex is much better than str.
    Last edited by Xeptix; 07-14-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Xep - 50 Rogue Tank for <Fires of Heaven>

Soulwalker

http://www.unstablerift.com/?q=node/171

This is a pretty decent guide for rogue tanking. In the post there is a 'bis' list, but the comments at the bottom list specific items that should help you if you're just starting out.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Xeptix View Post
    Focus on toughness slots first for plaque purchases, 50 toughness for t1's, 100 toughness for t2's, and just plug away tanking instances. You'll get lots of dropped upgrades and the plaques will fill in the unlucky slots.
    ... what? Guessing you havent been in dungeons since 1.2, plaques arent to fill unlucky slots... unless you are meaning it oddly. Plaques are to fill all the slots you dont get that 1:100 lucky drop to fill. I had almost enough plaques to buy my full set before I got my first purple tank drop.. and it is still the only one I have seen now that I am working on my DPS set.. which I have only seen a single purple drop for so far.

+ Reply to Thread