+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some help, anyone?

Soulwalker

Default Need some help, anyone?

Ok, so im doing a Bladedancer, riftstalker, assassin build, and im loving it. My question, is I have been doing dual daggers, now im curious should I do dual swords? Or MH sword oh dagger? I would think dual daggers would be better cause of the faster weapon speed but im just curious? Anyone got some input?

Soulwalker

BUMP...anyone?

Soulwalker

Search the forum for "weapon speed" or similar and find lots of threads on the subject.

Sez

Just use the weapons with the highest DPS, and the most DEX you can get.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Ascendant

Here's a typical weapon from a T1 dungeon.

Pyroblade
    Damage per second: 25.5
    37-70 damage every 2.1 sec

Strength +17
    Dexterity +17
    Attack Power +10

Hit +24

In order of priority:

Damage per second is the most important stat on a weapon (assuming you plan to hit things with it). This is the number that is used to work out what your abilities will hit for. You can safely ignore everything else on the weapon unless the two weapon you're comparing have the same DPS.

Weapon delay is next most important. Faster weapons will give you more procs from poisons and anything else that says 'chance to do x when you hit things'. Faster weapons also give you a larger benefit from things like spotter's orders and weapon stones which add flat x damage to all attacks. More attacks = more bonus damage. Note that this stat does not affect how fast you can use your abilities, it applies to auto-attacks only.

The weapon's stats are the next most important thing. For a DPS rogue, the stats will give you the following benefits:
    1 STR = 0.5 Attack Power (also some parry but you shouldn't be getting hit)
    1 DEX = 0.5 Attack Power and 1 Physical Crit (also dodge, see above)
    Endurance = hitpoints. It's a minor thing, but more is obviously better.
    Attack Power and Physical Crit should be self explanatory.

Hit is a special case. Until you are at the hit cap for the content you are doing, you should prioritise it over all the other stats. Having said that, the Hit caps are pretty easy to get to, and once you're there you get no benefit from hit.

T1 experts = 50 Hit
    T2 experts = 100 hit
    T1 raids = 200 hit
    T2 raids = 300 hit

Lastly, the actual damage numbers on your weapon. I've put this last because it honestly makes little difference at all. This stat is already accounted for by the DPS and weapon speed factors. It just tells you how hard your weapon will hit per auto-attack swing. The formula for DPS is;

DPS = ((max hit + min hit)/2) * weapon speed
    DPS = average hit * weapon speed

If you've already factored DPS and weapon speed into your choices and they're the same, then the average hit will be the same also. This can make a VERY minor difference in that weapons with a larger spread will hit harder on a crit, but the damage amount of your auto-attack is such a small portion of your DPS that you can safely ignore it.

Soulwalker

Surely a hard hitting mainhand is more important than overall dps? Due to multipliers from the soul trees.
    I would assume a 2.4 speed weapon with up to 70 damage would be far better than a dagger up to 60 damage leaving a fast offhand to do the poison procs.
    From what I understand dps would only be important if you stood toe to toe slogging it out for 5 mins till one person dies, this however is not the case, you need high damage mainhand to get the full effect from abilities like Keen Strike and hard hitting finnishers.
    Unless I am completely missing the point.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma77 View Post
    Surely a hard hitting mainhand is more important than overall dps? Due to multipliers from the soul trees.
    I would assume a 2.4 speed weapon with up to 70 damage would be far better than a dagger up to 60 damage leaving a fast offhand to do the poison procs.
    From what I understand dps would only be important if you stood toe to toe slogging it out for 5 mins till one person dies, this however is not the case, you need high damage mainhand to get the full effect from abilities like Keen Strike and hard hitting finnishers.
    Unless I am completely missing the point.
    You are completely missing the point.

Read what I wrote again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    In order of priority:

Damage per second is the most important stat on a weapon (assuming you plan to hit things with it). This is the number that is used to work out what your abilities will hit for. You can safely ignore everything else on the weapon unless the two weapon you're comparing have the same DPS.

+ Reply to Thread