+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: 1.4: Ranged Souls still useless

  1. #1
    Plane Touched RageHulkSmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default 1.4: Ranged Souls still useless

    Strictly PvE

    Ever since 1.3 and the massive buff to deadly dance, ranged souls have been very underpar. Our only decent spec is Sozu's, which caps out under 1500 stdps. On top of that, Marksman need ranger pets do deal any decent damage. Pigeon holed much?

    Trion says they are reducing the effectiveness of deadly dance by buffing other finishers. Well where are the marksman or ranger buffs? Not of all us chose rogue for the melee side of combat. The assassin and nightblade buffs are only going to make ranged souls worse.

    Imo give marksman the pyro treatment. Buff their pve damage, nerf their pvp damage. And don't make them reliant on ranger pets for dps.

    /rant

  2. #2
    Shadowlander Elkhor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default

    saboteur
    /thread

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Gameplay wise, sure, 44 sab.
    RP wise, I'd love to play a MM. I like archery and I hate MMO pets. I'm an archer IRL (traditional), it would be nice to play one in RIFT. And there's no way in hell a pack of wolves is better than a bunch of guys with English warbows at 400 yards.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoAnIs View Post
    Gameplay wise, sure, 44 sab.
    RP wise, I'd love to play a MM. I like archery and I hate MMO pets. I'm an archer IRL (traditional), it would be nice to play one in RIFT. And there's no way in hell a pack of wolves is better than a bunch of guys with English warbows at 400 yards.
    Sadly i agree that i prefer my bow to bombs and charges for aesthetic reasons, but if you want to push your reasoning to playing MM as RP then you'll also have to accept that a blast charge strapped to your rear end will do alot more damage then an arrow! with all trivial RP aspects aside its hard to justify buffing ranged specs much more then they are already. Seeing that there is far less risk involved with a range role the trade off is DPS. I do think that ranger/mm need a slight bit more love but they should never match a melee spec....why else would you put yourself in aoe danger if you could just pew pew all the time for the same DPS?

    Id love to see MM/Ranger pick up a challenging rotation that would come with in 100dps of sabdancer/hoku if not match them. As it is Sozu/44sab are insanely easy rotations with very limited buffs/cooldowns that you actually have to pay attention to. Add that to the fact that 80% of the time your safe and don't have to move.....it makes it hard for me to say yes please buff ranged souls!!!!

  5. #5
    Sez
    Sez is offline
    Ascendant Sez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoAnIs View Post
    And there's no way in hell a pack of wolves is better than a bunch of guys with English warbows at 400 yards.
    Wut ?
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

    - Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    Patch notes are in-progress, let them finish detailing it before ****ting your pants with rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

  7. #7
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42

    Default

    I hope they make MM viable. Ranged Sabo is about the only ranged dps spec and it is apparently far behind the melee sabodancer in raids (not sure tho)

    Ranged sabo is about the most mindless, boring painfully bland spec to play
    Last edited by Artemiz58; 07-13-2011 at 09:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched RageHulkSmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    Patch notes are in-progress, let them finish detailing it before ****ting your pants with rage.
    I'd rather rage and make a huge scene, actually.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander Otakuoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemiz58 View Post
    I hope they make MM viable. Ranged Sabo is about the only ranged dps spec and it is apparently far behind the melee sabodancer in raids (not sure tho)

    Ranged sabo is about the most mindless, boring painfully bland spec to play
    Agreed with sabo being boring but it's not the only viable ranged spec. I do quite well with Sozu's. Usually 2 or 3 on single target. Typically only beaten by 2 paragon warriors. Now I know it doesn't pull the dps Melee Sabs do but I hardly ever get beaten by our ranged Sabos. My results might not be typical but that's what it is.

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otakuoni View Post
    Agreed with sabo being boring but it's not the only viable ranged spec. I do quite well with Sozu's. Usually 2 or 3 on single target. Typically only beaten by 2 paragon warriors. Now I know it doesn't pull the dps Melee Sabs do but I hardly ever get beaten by our ranged Sabos. My results might not be typical but that's what it is.
    I alternate between MM and Sab builds. Land Mines are fun round a Stone or Flag, sit back and watch them get thrown everywhere when the run into them. I laugh like a little girl when I watch it happen.

  11. #11
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otakuoni View Post
    Agreed with sabo being boring but it's not the only viable ranged spec. I do quite well with Sozu's. Usually 2 or 3 on single target. Typically only beaten by 2 paragon warriors. Now I know it doesn't pull the dps Melee Sabs do but I hardly ever get beaten by our ranged Sabos. My results might not be typical but that's what it is.
    I use Sozu's also. My problem is I'm not super geared.. and I run t2s a lot so my pet is NEVER alive on boss fights. I'll prolly play around with it again but it doesn't ever beat out ranged sab for me.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander Otakuoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemiz58 View Post
    I use Sozu's also. My problem is I'm not super geared.. and I run t2s a lot so my pet is NEVER alive on boss fights. I'll prolly play around with it again but it doesn't ever beat out ranged sab for me.
    Sozu's does scale very well with gear. As for your pet dying either you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing or your healers are ignoring it. Maybe a combination of both. I use ranger on every T2 boss fight besides Plutonus and the lizard guy in AP. For all your spam macros on your bar you should have one with the petpassive command. This allows you to still dps and get your pet out of AOE range. Works very well for me. The healer problem, well that just all depends on who you run with. I'm lucky enough to have guildies who have accepted Slapnuts as a mascot of sorts. And treat him as if he were their own. .

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    it's really sad that among all these possible soul combinations there must be that so called "cookie cutter" build and if you dont have it you you'll be flagged as black sheep

    really sad

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I too am stuck with the inevitable decision of probably going sab to get better dps, as i'm using sozu's spec atm, if only my guild would not bring me for my barding skills, and actually let me test sozu's in a raid for once :P

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chandelle View Post
    it's really sad that among all these possible soul combinations there must be that so called "cookie cutter" build and if you dont have it you you'll be flagged as black sheep

    really sad
    Yet nearly inevitable.

    DPS is a differentiable function of several variables (eg AP, crit, weapons, survivability, etc). Thus, there is a way to maximize DPS. People apply various techniques to find the best builds, and the suboptimal ones tend to lie by the wayside.
    It is very, very difficult to balance multiple builds to be just as good but with different styles. When there are several local maxima for DPS balance is said to be good. Since there are several builds that do good-great DPS (Hoko's, Sabdancer, BD-Tribrids, 44Sab, probably Sozu's) balance is pretty reasonable. Sure, Sozu's is a bit low, MM & NB are nearly worthless in PVE, etc, but overall we have good balance. Unlike, say, Magi, who have their choice of sub-par DPS builds. You can be worthless in any flavour you like!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts