+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogue tanking. 51 RS then bard,ranger or bd?

Telaran

Default Rogue tanking. 51 RS then bard,ranger or bd?

I was wondering as far as rogue tanking goes what two souls should i use for my last 15 points. There are arguments over bladedancer bard or ranger... any recommendations

Sword of Telara

ranger = least "damage taken" (steadily less). ranged CP generation, ranged agro. 5% hp

bard = 10% hp. raid bosses dont appear to be able to miss, dungeon mobs/bosses can though so 2% avoidance

bd = 10% dodge (5% passive 5% active but 100% uptime), passive agro on infinite targets (strikeback) quicker cp generation. higher dex (more dodge). amazing CD (+50% dodge for 15s. combine with strikeback this = 80%ish avoidance and tons of AoE agro for big pulls)

its all about choices

i prefer ranger/bd myself for dungeons. bard/bd for raid bosses
    Last edited by Seyon; 07-11-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Seyon View Post
    ranger = least "damage taken" (steadily less). ranged CP generation, ranged agro. 5% hp

bard = 10% hp. raid bosses dont appear to be able to miss, dungeon mobs/bosses can though so 2% avoidance

bd = 10% dodge (5% passive 5% active but 100% uptime), passive agro on infinite targets (strikeback) quicker cp generation. higher dex (more dodge). amazing CD (+50% dodge for 15s. combine with strikeback this = 80%ish avoidance and tons of AoE agro for big pulls)

its all about choices

i prefer ranger/bd myself for dungeons. bard/bd for raid bosses

All of this. Except I prefer bard/rng for bosses as it gives me an extra 1600 HP. How good bard is depends almost entirely on how much endurance you have.
    Xep - 50 Rogue Tank for <Fires of Heaven>

Shadowlander

So you get 1600hp with ranger soul, thats just BS. With T2 you have 12k+ hp thats more than enough.

Rift Disciple

Just go Ranger, Bard. 16k HP with raid gear = easy to heal.
    Last edited by Resistance; 07-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Rift Disciple

Plus BD is meh... sure dodging is great and all... But when 90% of bosses are doing magical damage casting at you. It's not going to help.

Banned

Having more health doesnt make a tank easier to heal. If hes taking damage faster then the healer can dish out then hes going to fail. You take less damage with rng/bd

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
    Plus BD is meh... sure dodging is great and all... But when 90% of bosses are doing magical damage casting at you. It's not going to help.
    When most bosses are also doing Auto-attacks (Which are dodgeable) BD seems less lame.

On topic:
    Once you have enough health to not get insta-gibbed by the highest burst you will recieve going Bard is pretty bad compared to BD + Ranger (BD reducing the damage you take from physical through dodging, increasing AoE threat for when tanking trash and increasing the amount of CP you generate through Reprisal (Which is great when pulling and you need to get your Rift Guard + Guarded Steel up) and Ranger giving some health and also lowering all damage you take slightly)
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

I was going to start another thread but instead I will add to this one...

I have been playing with RS as well. My gear is pretty good mix of T1 and T2... about 160 toughness and about 10000hp. My problem is the initial pulls in T2 dungeons when the trash mobs are really spread out. We are limited to long AoE cooldowns and only 3 of them, so you either round them up on the first pull or 2nd attack or the fight is probably going to be a tad interesting. I have been looking for a way to resolve this. Either with my rotation of skills or my build. Currently I run a 51RS, 7bard, 8Ranger... I have been considering swapping the bard out for 7 or 6 into Sabo for the frag bomb AoE. I figured that the 15% gain in Dex will add to parry and dodge as well so not a total loss in D. Anyone around here tried something like this? Am I nuts to even think about changing?

Quote Originally Posted by Osolo View Post

I have been playing with RS as well. My gear is pretty good mix of T1 and T2... about 160 toughness and about 10000hp. My problem is the initial pulls in T2 dungeons when the trash mobs are really spread out. We are limited to long AoE cooldowns and only 3 of them, so you either round them up on the first pull or 2nd attack or the fight is probably going to be a tad interesting. I have been looking for a way to resolve this. Either with my rotation of skills or my build. Currently I run a 51RS, 7bard, 8Ranger... I have been considering swapping the bard out for 7 or 6 into Sabo for the frag bomb AoE. I figured that the 15% gain in Dex will add to parry and dodge as well so not a total loss in D. Anyone around here tried something like this? Am I nuts to even think about changing?

My first thought is you'd rather have the consistent damage from something like Twin Strike or Trick Shot vs. the back loaded damage from Sab. More frequent, more consistent damage would draw more agro, I would think.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Osolo View Post

TELL YOUR GROUP WHAT YOU ARE DOING FIRST.

place your flashback ground thingy behind a rock/tree/lamp/tent or any other AoE (there is always one around) then shadow blitz in, hitting as many as you can, rift diserbance, then teleport back. the mobs will all run around the corner to you as, even the casters will be out of line of sight and unable to hit you. if your healer is going to need to heal you durring this time (they shouldnt) they will want to be behind the lamp/rock/whatever as well. this also gives time to top you off and for you to get riftguard up

if a dps dpses before they reach you or a healer dosnt get out of los and heals then things get far more complicated. sabo would be nice, but it would be a pretty solid loss in your tanking tools (avoidance, health, true ranged agro, survival CDs and so on) for something you -shouldnt- need

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bigi View Post
    So you get 1600hp with ranger soul, thats just BS. With T2 you have 12k+ hp thats more than enough.
    Bard is what gives the 1600 hp, ranger gives less. I have over 17k hp in a raid, and raid bosses are what I'm talking about needing it for, not T2's. The hardest hitting bosses currently do so with magic damage rather than physical anyways, so bard is innately better than BD for those encounters.

I carry both rs/rng/bard and rs/bd/rng, as they're both useful in different situations.
    Last edited by Xeptix; 07-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    Xep - 50 Rogue Tank for <Fires of Heaven>

Prophet of Telara

Can someone please explain the over obsession with max HP to me?

So the main focus would be Rift Guard. Base it absorbs 15% incoming damage to a max of 50% of your HP.

Unupgraded, from what I understand with say 10K HP you would need to take ~33K for the bubble to break, that is after absorbing 15% of ~33K damage should soak up 5K damage.

Improved Rift Guard increases this 2.5% absorb, 25% max HP bubble, and then after 16 another 0.5% absorb and 5% max HP bubble.

So for a 51 RS that would absorb 35% incoming damage for a maximum of 250% of your max HP, so for 10K max HP that would absorb 25K damage after taking a total ~71.5K damage

Am I misunderstanding the bubble? Cause right now it seems if you have so much damage reduction your max HP would be less important than avoidance.

place your flashback ground thingy behind a rock/tree/lamp/tent or any other AoE (there is always one around) then shadow blitz in, hitting as many as you can, rift diserbance, then teleport back. the mobs will all run around the corner to you as, even the casters will be out of line of sight and unable to hit you. if your healer is going to need to heal you durring this time (they shouldnt) they will want to be behind the lamp/rock/whatever as well. this also gives time to top you off and for you to get riftguard up

if a dps dpses before they reach you or a healer dosnt get out of los and heals then things get far more complicated. sabo would be nice, but it would be a pretty solid loss in your tanking tools (avoidance, health, true ranged agro, survival CDs and so on) for something you -shouldnt- need
    QFT ... if you arent LOS pulling (line of sight, or 'hide yo' ***' pulls) using Backflash and other tricks, you are not effectively leveraging the Rogue's ability to position their enemies. Def tell your group to hold attacking, but get those mobs to YOU.
    Linkedin
    Crushing noobs in RIFT PvP since 2011

I think that you nailed it there... I need to communicate a bit better. The RS is a solid play style just need the group to understand strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for the advice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast