+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RS AOE trash tank build

Rift Disciple

Default RS AOE trash tank build

I've tanked as RS by no means alot but I have some idea of what I am doing. I have an issue with AOE threat and maybe its just cause I suck. Regardless of that I was wondering how this would work for a AOE threat build. I know the cookiecutter spec is for single target and very good so this is more just for trash.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...IuqdRkkR.VV0cM

I was thinking Shadow Blitz then denote after loading up Shrapnel Charges before hand and that should produce decent threat esp. with Guardian Phase. I might be wrong just wondering if thats viable for trash.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItIuqdRkkR.Vb

Threat build. You should also have sabs in the run and they should be Incriminating you on pulls. I can't imagine any threat problems in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItIuqdRkkR.Vb

Threat build. You should also have sabs in the run and they should be Incriminating you on pulls. I can't imagine any threat problems in that situation.
    ^This is the best all around Rogue tank build. You will have no problems holding threat on aoe pulls if you rift disturbance and multi-target twin strike.
    Last edited by Raiga; 07-11-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Rift Disciple

I understand that 51/8/7 RS/BD/RNG is the "build" and I have no problem with it single target. I am asking if what I posted could do the trick for trash mobs who are not quite proffcient at aoe threat. I imagine I will get better but for now will it do the aoe threat job?

Ascendant

Riftstalker AoE threat is not great. If you have very good AoE DPSers (Sabs, Stormcallers), you're going to need sabs to incriminate you with shrapnel charges. If you don't have sabs, or if you're still losing threat even with incriminate, get a warrior to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

theres a greater essence that helps called screaming stormshard. i use that and the one that adds 5% armor and increases threat off the life raid rift. both are really only useful on trash. but i dont MT raids so i can spare the slots for them.

otherwise, assuming you still have some buffs up from the previous pull, if you dont, be sure to do like a 1-2cp gs asap.
    blitz>disturbance>twin strike

if you use twin strike to build cp, after you use a finisher be sure to tab to something else before building more. its also helpful to macro disturbance and twin strike, so youre using disturbance on reuse. and if youre spamming that aoe macro, dont forget to keep up phantom blow.

The problem I ran into this weekend was in xRD, where the wights are all spread out and would take too long to run to me, and 2 or 3 would become agroed by the healer.

So is it my job to warp around and collect them?
    Or should the healer be closer than 20m away from the pull / me?
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Rift Disciple

Teleport the normal way into the mobs, disturbance, shadow blitz for the ones you didnt got with the disturbance.

Ascendant

For RD Wights:

Pick one as close to the center of the pack as you can. Blitz->Planar Attraction->Disturbance->Sidesteps

Unless your healer had HoTs ticking on you before the pull (not a great idea with those Wight packs), Strike Back will handle threat on anything that got missed by the other openers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

If you have large groups of spread out mobs, like in RD, best way is to pull them back slightly. They'll group up as they all come to you. You have Disturbance and Blitz to pick them up as they come. Time it so you hit the first part of the group with 1 AoE, and the back half of the pack with your other AoE. Simple.

Don't forget Planar Attraction. You can Shadow Assault to mobs that get away, and immediately attract them.

Twin Strike is completely unneeded. Simply cycling through targets with Planar Strike is all the extra threat you will ever need.
    Last edited by Hellebron; 07-11-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Soulwalker

It's actually bad to Blitz straight into a spread out aoe pack, it will never hit all, and RS's aoe abilities are very limited, so the key is not to blow them too early. I just Shadow Assault in to front 1, this gives me run speed boost and allows the surrounding mobs to gather half a sec to gather before i hit Blitz then RD while moving with them if they still happen to stray.

Rift Disciple

I use Splinter Shot -> Planar Switch -> Shadow Blitz -> Planar Attraction -> Rift Disturbance -> Planar Strike -> Finisher (RG or GS). Planar Attraction and Planar Strike can be skipped if needed/not needed.
    SS pulls the mobs in a bit so they group, +2CP. PS +1 CP. Blitz +1CP (4 total) and AOE threat. PA Groups 'em all close, RD debuffs them and adds threat, PS for the last CP, finisher. Then use PS and tab through targets to keep threat. Phantom blow when threat is fine for more mitigation.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Rittlez View Post
    It's actually bad to Blitz straight into a spread out aoe pack, it will never hit all, and RS's aoe abilities are very limited, so the key is not to blow them too early. I just Shadow Assault in to front 1, this gives me run speed boost and allows the surrounding mobs to gather half a sec to gather before i hit Blitz then RD while moving with them if they still happen to stray.
    This works very well.

Also wanted to note that Screaming sourceshard is currently bugged (at least for rogues). I tanked two full xDSM runs with it almost never procd. In one run I would do around 1-2k air damage. If it hits for ~100 dmg like it says, its proc rate is pathetically low.

A fellow guildie (also rogue) has it as well and it doesnt proc for him at all.

Long story short, use 6x lessers in your source machine for rogue tanking. There arent many good greaters for rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

+ Reply to Thread