+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice for lvl 39 Rang/Assin/Rift

Shadowlander

Default Need advice for lvl 39 Rang/Assin/Rift

On paper, it looks like a great combo. The guardian phase looks like the boost in health, armor, resistance etc would be a great asset. Well, not for me. And unless I'm doing it wrong, the rift barrier is completely useless as an absorption shield.

Add that to the fact that after the last two updates, creatures that are two and even four levels below me are now kicking my ***, this is disheartening. I have the best gear, the best weapons - all rune'd and buffed. I have augments out the ying-yang and am in a guild that provides additional buffs. Add to the fact I am using warding potions that absorb 1300 damage and I cannot kill neither an ironhook watcher nor Vasysu, Wasysu, Hyundai whatever the hell his name is - aka giant bat in Scarwood Reach for the hunt credits.

I realize I'll never be able to one "hit" the world but this is all too much coincidence.

Thanks for any advice.

Plane Touched

I have been using the melee leveling spec listed in the Rogue PvE Bible thread on these forums. I'm 38 now and its works great. I am not sure what to say about your soul setup, I used ranger until 25 I think when I had enough points for this melee spec to become good. At this level, it's great.

You mentioned the rare elites in Scarwood. Some of those are really really nasty if you don't have any of the items to weaken them from the hunt vendor at Kain's Command. Before you try and solo one take a look at it's health. Some hit just a bit harder than mobs that level, but they have so much health you might not be able to kill it faster than it kills you. Others have a ton of health and hit really really really hard, like that big troll that I saw earlier at the bottom of Auld Warden.

Oh there's a ranged leveling build in that thread too. If you can't find it on the forums just put "rift forums rogue pve bible" into google. Should be the first hit.

I think worrying about your spec/performance sub 50 is kinda pointless in this game.

Rift is designed to get you through 1-49 autobahn style; it's the fastest, easiest leveling MMO ever.

Once you get to 50 and decide which gerbil wheel you want to get on ("casual" or "hardcore" PvE or PvP) then specs will matter.

Until then trying to "optimize" your spec during 1-49 will just waste time that could have been spent gaining you a couple of levels.

Quote Originally Posted by nodecafplz View Post
    On paper, it looks like a great combo. The guardian phase looks like the boost in health, armor, resistance etc would be a great asset. Well, not for me. And unless I'm doing it wrong, the rift barrier is completely useless as an absorption shield.
    It's also a 30% drop in damage.
    On paper it may look ok for soloing elites, but in practice I've found the same thing you have, the survivability (without a healer) can't outlast the pathetic DPS. It really shines when you're soloing packs of things that die often, so Rift Scavenger can kick in.
    Also, do you have the base Rift Barrier, or have you have you made it up to Improved Rift Barrier? The base version only works against Physical damage. And either way, it's only 15% of incoming damage, so that skill that that would have hit you for 500 will still be hitting you for 425, so it doesn't make you completely invulnerable.

So... you're using one soul which centres around maximising damage output and using a pet to tank for you, combining is with a soul which centres around personal damage reduction at the expense of output, and wondering why it doesn't work?

Melee ranger is an interesting combo for endgame DPS, but it doesn't work while you're levelling, and certainly not iwth the soul combination you've picked.

And you're not meant to be able to solo elite mobs easily. Group up or skip those quests.

+ Reply to Thread