+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Rift, on vacation and friend leaving me behind :P

Soulwalker

Default New to Rift, on vacation and friend leaving me behind :P

So the sale enticed my friend and I to start Rift. Unfortunately as my friend was downloading the game I was packing the car for 12 days on the road. While I have been reading the forums, I still haven't played the game.

So I am looking for a way to catch up to level 20 quickly. I like the Rogue class so here I am. I have read some of the suggestions - Ranger with pet, RS to 14 and then Bladedancer, etc. What is the quickest set of souls and spec to get me up to his level quickly?

Thanks for the help.

Icariam

Quote Originally Posted by Icariam View Post
    So the sale enticed my friend and I to start Rift. Unfortunately as my friend was downloading the game I was packing the car for 12 days on the road. While I have been reading the forums, I still haven't played the game.

So I am looking for a way to catch up to level 20 quickly. I like the Rogue class so here I am. I have read some of the suggestions - Ranger with pet, RS to 14 and then Bladedancer, etc. What is the quickest set of souls and spec to get me up to his level quickly?

Thanks for the help.

Icariam
    Gonna need a ranger spec, and a bladedancer/riftstalker spec and an assassin spec (for stealth) If you have all 3 you should be set.
    Blakjak
    Liquidus - Defiant - Keenblade

Message me in the game if you want to chat...

Riftstalker is a teensy bit overrated. Not saying rift scavenger isn't good, it is...but for early levels, you want bard.

When you first log in, take ranger as your first soul for the pet. Right-click on your pet's frame and rename him/her something awesome (I chose "Bait"). You'll quickly get a second soul-- take bard, and if you have any soul points before that save them for bard. Put your first five points into Bardic Inspiration, just to make your motifs worth casting, although this doesn't really matter much, it's only to get you to Invigorated Soul. At level 8 you'll want to be 8 bard/0 ranger/0 assassin or nightblade. As soon as you get 3/3 Invigorated Soul, congrats, you are unstoppable.

Your normal rotation at that point is Quick Shot x5>Headshot or Cadence>Quick Shot x2>Headshot, depending on whether your pet needs healing or not. I found myself using Cadence even if Bait didn't need healing, because most mobs at that level will die with the first finisher, without needing all 5 QS's to get them there.

Don't stop there though, put your next two points into bard too, for Anthem of Competence. +10% runspeed is very nice, although if you're buying the collector's edition that includes a mount, it's not absolutely necessary. But if you don't have a mount from level one, that 10% runspeed will translate to a good 6-8% faster leveling time all by itself.

Also, macros. With a pet class this is especially important, you want to put a macro for at least one of your attacks that includes pet functions--for a bard/ranger it would look like this:

#show Quick Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Quickshot
    petattack
    petcast (the name of your pet's abilities which I don't remember offhand, but whichever one does taunt is most important)

The next three points don't matter a whole lot, but I'd put them into the Nightblade or Assassin at that point. However, if you're deciding you like the bard at that point and want to go further, then do another point in bard for Power Chord, then you've got a cadence/power chord rotation, five combo points in a nice 4.5 second rotation--again, this should kill most normal level mobs in one or two finishers. I wouldn't know exactly because at that point I was starting to multipull.

At level 13 you gain the ability to learn other souls. Do that. Visit Meridian or Sanctum, ask around in city chat about where you can find the Bladedancer/Riftstalker people (or just look for the green "!"s on your minimap), take the quest from them, and learn what you can. They give you a quest to go beat a rift, then use the item they give you to extract the soul that you are trying to learn. You fight it, kill it, turn it in back at the city, then congrats, you've learned that soul and can use it anytime you want.

Here's where it gets a bit complicated. If you decided you like the Bard/Ranger combo then I say stick with that, start putting your points into Bard/Ranger as needed. Your Razorbeast will stop leveling with you at level thirty or so, unless you put points into Ranger to learn the advanced level pet, just so you know.

If, on the other hand, you rolled a rogue class to play an actual, y'know, rogue, then I would suggest doing this: put 4 points into your Assassin soul, for the stealth. Keep your eight or ten points in Bard for the heals. And then start working on Bladedancer. At higher levels, Sidesteps + Deadly Dance works wonders on elite mobs. There's nice things outside of just 13 points in the soul, but you said you were most interested in just leveling to 20 asap...for levels 13-20, either a bard/assassin(or nightblade) is the quickest, or a bard/ranger, depending on your playstyle.

I said riftstalker is a bit overrated, and here's the reason why: in the times I've overpulled too many mobs, bard saved me, when riftstalker didn't. Riftstalker only heals you when you kill a mob, there's nothing before. To be truly fair, I'd say Bard/Bladedancer saved me, because without deadly dance, the 8 or 10 points for cadence's healing doesn't really matter much. Then, with your third soul as Assassin, at 12 points you get silent footsteps, so 110% speed, while stealthed, helps you get to quest objectives that much more quickly. But, if you're going to be playing with a partner, then stealth is a bit wasted. For playing with someone else, I'd definitely recommend a bard/bladedancer sort of build, you can get some enormous party healing for you, your friend, and the pet, which will allow you to take on pretty much anything you can set your eyes on.

Good luck.

Soulwalker

Thanks replies. Appreciate the comments.

+ Reply to Thread