+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Melee Rogue vs Warlock Armor

Rift Chaser

Default Melee Rogue vs Warlock Armor

First off, I'm only lvl33 atm and so have yet to experience high tier PvP, only started the other week. Been very much enjoying an assassin focused rogue with the intention to go Assassin/Riftstalker build at the end.

I'm sure someone will tell me it's an awful build and to play something else but well, that's not what I'm here for thanks.

What I am struggling with at the moment is mages, I have come to the point I just avoid even trying to kill them without a healer. Reason being Warlorck Armor/Dark Armor, due to the sheer speed of autoattacks etc other than my finishers I am taking more damage BACK when I hit them than I actually do to them in the first place. At current level its say 25damage done, 43 back.

Does anyone have any advice for how to get around this issue without choosing a different soul. It's very frsutrating to practically die to an enemy without them even attacking me...

FREYN | P8 SUICIDE DWARF

Rogues are fine, honest.

level up...

Plane Touched

HAHA this is my p6 rogue killer.

QQ more.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by neandramathal View Post
    First off, I'm only lvl33 atm and so have yet to experience high tier PvP, only started the other week. Been very much enjoying an assassin focused rogue with the intention to go Assassin/Riftstalker build at the end.

I'm sure someone will tell me it's an awful build and to play something else but well, that's not what I'm here for thanks.

What I am struggling with at the moment is mages, I have come to the point I just avoid even trying to kill them without a healer. Reason being Warlorck Armor/Dark Armor, due to the sheer speed of autoattacks etc other than my finishers I am taking more damage BACK when I hit them than I actually do to them in the first place. At current level its say 25damage done, 43 back.

Does anyone have any advice for how to get around this issue without choosing a different soul. It's very frsutrating to practically die to an enemy without them even attacking me...
    Its annoying this is something that the developers have ignored,basically your weak dots, procs serrated blades will kill you.Not only warlock has this ability but 51 point warrior riftblade.
    I can only make a suggestion , but if you see that warlock with the dark armor or warlock armor buff try to use more direct damage attacks instead of dots.e.g use assasinate for starter then use final blow.
    pay attention to health if you see your healt droping to 50 percent fast use slip away and if their health is low at that point assasinate follow up final blow. At this point you have to make a decision .It may be wiser to use slip away and just wait for help.
    Usually if its a chloronec they will just heal full, so if you aren't doing burst fast enough damage to kill, you are dead.
    I think the main problem is we have is the serrated blades procs off of all critical hits , and it procs alot and since its low damage mitigated by armor. you do 12 damage to the necro you get 25 damage back or more.
    goodluck.
    As a rogue class you will learn some classes you can only kill when low and health and such , look around pick your target wisely and strike when you think you can win.
    Last edited by Stabsalot; 07-09-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Rift Chaser

Wasn;t sure if the DoT's procced it either the autoattacks alone seemed to be enough to kill myself on.

The assassin should be the ideal single target killer, especially on mages who (should) be weak up close... bah. More disgruntled today by swapping to ranger and finding that the basic abilities do more damage than the melee ones from assassin etc.... and get to be done out of harms way

*Sigh* such is the way of the melee player... armor goes up faster than resist, Attack Power gives less DPS boost than spell power, and we don't even get king of damage to compensate .... Still, I grumble and moan but I know from experience it doesn't change and I hate ranged classes. So on we soldier!!! (Didn't come to complain just wanted some advice on whether it was possible Thanks )

FREYN | P8 SUICIDE DWARF

Rogues are fine, honest.

cleanse soul or twilight transcendence.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by neandramathal View Post
    Wasn;t sure if the DoT's procced it either the autoattacks alone seemed to be enough to kill myself on.

The assassin should be the ideal single target killer, especially on mages who (should) be weak up close... bah. More disgruntled today by swapping to ranger and finding that the basic abilities do more damage than the melee ones from assassin etc.... and get to be done out of harms way

*Sigh* such is the way of the melee player... armor goes up faster than resist, Attack Power gives less DPS boost than spell power, and we don't even get king of damage to compensate .... Still, I grumble and moan but I know from experience it doesn't change and I hate ranged classes. So on we soldier!!! (Didn't come to complain just wanted some advice on whether it was possible Thanks )
    Nightblade is best in situations like these. I'm running 44 nightblade, 20 or so bladedancer, 0 sabeteur (I'm lvl 46) and i havn't had any problems with mages in my tier and i've beat quite a few 50s in deuls. I start out with a lose hope (same as incapacitate) and stack 5 charges, pop scourage of darkness and, if i need it now, ebon fury before unloading on the guy. Usually the can pull as much dps back at me so if i know its going to be a long fight i start off with twilight shelter and move to twilight transcendence and then blackout. It ends up being 8 seconds of 80% less incoming damage, 4 seconds of immune to damage while cleansing followed up by 6 seconds were all damaging attacks against me miss.

The build has been my warfront build since the late 20s and i've never really specifically had problems with any class (besides good justicar/shaman clerics and well, i guess, soloing tank fighters, but their dps is trashy enough that i don't mind.. )
    Last edited by garethh; 07-09-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Rift Chaser

Tried a nightblade build and it seems like it could be fantastic, but the DoT's it seems to be built around are causing just as many nasty issues with Warlock armor as before :/ What's your rotation because you say you build 5 charges after lose hope? Doesn't that break lose hope to do so? What do you build the charges with.

I'm trying NB/Sin and usually go Assassinate>Fiery Spike>Puncture>Blazing Strike>Fiery Spike>Fiery Spike>Dusk Strike>Primal Strike>Blazing Strike.

by the time the second Blazing Strike hits I've got 5stack of Heat Retention on them and 3xFiery Spike + a Puncture DoT ticking, along with serrated blades and the fire DoT weapon enhancement.... the intention being to eventually get Foul Play in sin so I can stun people just before the Dusk Strike hit and it should spike them down.

Only thing concerning me is against most targets I could burst them down as Sin in that time from high damage Final Blow hits and the issue I have with Sin is Warlock's (War/Cloro doubly so) and the NB DoT's don't really help the issue.

Figure I just need to practise with NB a bit more and work out a better rotation.

FREYN | P8 SUICIDE DWARF

Rogues are fine, honest.

Champion

ok so planting a charge on a guy doesn't deal damage so it deosn't break staggers like 'lose hope' then i also tend to skip fiery spike in fights like this because of dark containment(a non-stealth, in combat version of lose hope) wich i like to use as an interupt and/or finisher (if they are at around 20% health i just pop dark containment on them and then stack bombs, exploding and killing them).

(my build is 44-NB 22-BD 0-SAB)
    my rotation lose hope->5 charges->scourage of darkness->(ebon fury and dusk strike) or bladedancer macro (precision strike, quick strike, keen strike) untill that point were they are weak enough for detonate to just kill them or detonate->dark containment->5 charges->detonate to do the trick.

I didn't type in the Nightblade survivability pops because their all situational, usually a really good fight will go threw all 3.

Also the spec does take tons of practice because everything in it is so situational causing it to be one of the tougher builds to play
    Last edited by garethh; 07-09-2011 at 08:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread