+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bard Guide/Discussion (All Things Bard)

Telaran

Default Bard Guide/Discussion (All Things Bard)

Since the Bard Sigil thread and soem others this week there seems to be a gain in bard discussion going on in the forums again. There's a few different views on specs and min/maxing for bard healing/support so I thought we could start a thread to discuss them here and try to provide players with math and parses to back claims made in a stride to overall increase the bard repuatation in game as "not ****balls".

The following is long so sorry but my take on the Bard, how I play it, and why I choose to spec the way I do over some other options. Much of the content in this post is previous psots I've made the past few weeks so some may be familiar to a few people.

Hopefully it will be beneficial to some bards out there...

Bard Support

Specs:

Typically bards are brought to buff and for the VoJ, but in the event that your guild has a second bard with VoJ or you NEED to AoE heal this build is the go to.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...b.VIdqiaskVz.V.

This spec doesnít have verse, as stated, but picks up talents in assn to greatly increase the dmg/healing of crits. In this spec with relatively low amounts of gear youíll notice that even your MoR is critting for over 200 and that your cadence is critting for just a little bit less than it would if you were running the DD spec. Furthermore this spec utilizes CoR as your finisher so any extra raid healing that needs to be done can since DD doesnít need to consistently be refreshed. This spec I would recommend to a bard whose guild doesnít need VoJ or has 2 bards. I donít get to run this spec anymore since Iím the sole Bard and required to have verse. Just as an FYI in this spec I have done 2200 HPS on dark focus fights in RoS and hit 1.4k on AoE intense fights like Oracle and GS (Iím pretty geared up though). I donít have saved parses but if I get the opportunity to run it in the near future Iíll post some proof of its healing potential.

Overall this spec has limited viability though. A bardís verse is very under rated by players. Clerics shouldnít really need mana even after the wisdom nerf in 1.3 if they are potting at appropriate times and arenít over healing a ton. The main reason to have verse IMO is to keep your DPS, specifically your rogues, un-energy starved. Now that tablets suck and got normalized to +5 energy regeneration, they do almost nothing and rogues will need the VoJ at 90%-95% boss hp, and subsequently on CD for boss encounters to pull the max DPS they can. Not having VoJ for this purpose will lower your raids DPS by a noticeable amount, although itís hard to put an exact value on since raid comps can change so frequently.

Some of the points in the bard tree if you do go 44 are movable, you need to go at least 44 though to pick up VoV, it has great situational use and worth the points in the tree. I personally rarely use coda of wrath or fury unless Iím for some reason doing dailies as a bard or we are on trash pulls before bosses. You can go 5/5 into deafening music if you want but it doesnít get 5 talent points of worth for me at least. Good health is a nice talent for lower geared bards. I have a good hp pool and with the endurance buff from planebound resilience in the riftstalker tree Iím at 5.8k HP raid buffed so I currently donít need points here, once Hammernell opens Iíll probably relocated points here for progression bosses, especially if water resistance is needed. VoF is nice but I find myself almost never using it (exception world PvP), typically when I look to CC something I need to do it fast, since thereís a cast time I usually look to VoC for a quick CC to one mob. I donít know about other bards but I find that my buffs attract a lot of initial aggro. This usually isnít an issue but having some points into street smarts has saved me once or twice at least from a stray cast off a mob or from the werewolfís on oracle tunneling me, despite being taunted 583 times by tanks.

I see all over the forums postís about speccing into ranger and that it calculates your cadence dmg off your bow. I go to the dummies almost every day for at least 15 minutes to try and tweak my specs. I have toyed with RNG and MM subsouls many times before and havenít gotten any results which have led me to believe that RNG or MM was worth the points over riftstalker. Unbuffed I have around 650 atk power, which fully raid buffed is just under 1k. Yesterday at the dummies I swapped back and forth between my Bard/NB/RS spec and my Bard/NB/RNG spec. I purchased a few white weapons and swapped them in and out and parsed my cadence dmg. I noticed 2 things.

1. Bow dmg (or gun or w/e) seems to be about 5-7 DPS higher than melee weapons even at in low level gear. I have a T1 raid bow and 2x T1 raid weapons - the difference in weapon DPS isnít large.

2. I noticed that completely unbuffed my cadence hit/crit for the EXACT same amount with RS (with atk power) subsoul and RNG subsoul- regardless of me being in melee or max range.

Since AP adds to your weapon DPS (mouse over atk power in the character stats screen 10 AP is 1 DPS) I drew the following conclusionÖ At a certain buffed AP amount it appears that the gap in DPS on the actual items) between ranged weapons and melee weapons from the same tier is closed by the bonus atk power given by RSís unseen fury. Iíd need to do more testing which I wonít be able to until later this weekend but it seems that this happens at around 650 buffed atk power based on my results and my unbuffed current stats.

So to answer the question about having 7 pts into RNG for crit or 7 into RS for atk power I think the answer is it is complex but more often than not usually better for overall healing to not use RNG -even if your cadence is hitting harder using the RNG soul. Attack power does 2 things for bards, it directly scales VoV Cor MoR and indirectly scales Cadence b/c atk power increases weapon dps. If you have crappy weapons but a nice bow you may notice that your cadence with RNG hits for a little more than cadence if u have RS instead of RNG. However, everything else will heal for more. Bard atk power scaling isnít great atm but 10 atk power increases CoR by +1 to base heal and 40-50 atk power increase MoR by +1-2 heal. Without doing the math I would assume that the + to total healing of using ranger and RS as subsouls is fairly close. That being said, IMO the EFFECTIVE healing of RS over RNG is much better b/c of how raid dmg is currently dealt. In fights the raid is usually full HP, maybe a few people take minimal dmg that can be fully maintenance healed by cadence or other healers. Bardís typically donít have to use finishers until a big AoE ability hits a large portion or the entire raid. Since the healers are typically caught up on AoE heals the raid will easily be healed to full in a matter of seconds. Typically a fast reacting bard will get off a CoR, and either a partial cadence or VoV. After a CoR it takes approximately 4 seconds (with some latency) to cadence to 5 combo points and CoR. Because of this time limitation itís unlikely that a bard will be able to get off a second CoR yet alone the required 2x cadence (for 5 combo points) after an AoE hit by a boss. Therefore CoR and VoV will have the most noticeable effect on your HPS b/c they are the most efficient heal we have due to the situations where we decide to use these abilities to heal over cadence (large damage to raid). I would say that 80% of my cadence dmg on a fight does no healing simply because everyone is full HP, but when I use CoR itís for a reason, usually 5+ ppl are low or a tank just nose dived in HP. Therefore increases to CoR are what a bards spec should be based around in higher gear level and raid content.

Like I mentioned before most bards will be required to carry a 51 point bard spec. I currently use the following spec for VoJ: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....EIdqiqskqz.Vb

I chose 7 pts into RS because my cadence hits/crits for the same amount as if I were to use RNG but the extra attack power scales every other healing ability more than the RNG subsoul would. I think this spec is self explanatory, with respect to my talent choices, if you have read the previous sections of this post.

I have omitted DD spec on purpose because it should not be used in raids. DD only buffs your cadence which is rarely an efficient heal in raids, also it forces another player which could be spread out and at range of the boss to be in the melee group. On fights like GS you want as little melee as possible b/c of plants spawning.

In good gear (atk power stacking and high DPS weapons) cadence will crit heal for 400ish and non crit heal for 280ish using the DD spec. My cadence current crits for 260ish raid buffed (no raid wide dmg CDís up) in my non DD spec and non crit ticks for 175ish

Due to GCD restrictions 2x cadence (second clipped at 5 combo points) and a coda of resto finisher takes almost the same amount of time as 2x cadence (no clip) with the DD buff up. Assuming that your connection has some latency we can say that overall in a fight your cadence to 5 cp coda of resto will take the same time as cadence spam with DD buff always up.

Assuming 50% crit (typical in higher end gear) non DD spec 5 cadence ticks (5 cp) will heal for 5*(175+260)/2= 1087.5. Cadence heals 5 players so totals 5437.5 healing. Coda of resto adds 1 base heal per 10 atk power, since bards itemize should be itemizing around attack power we can assume it is high (especially when raid buffed). My coda of resto heals for 760 and crits for 1140 (higher often but this is standard). Again assuming a 50% crit rate our coda of resto would heal for 5*(760+1140)/2= 4750. So over one rotation cycle the bard will do 10187.5 healing.

For DD the bard will heal cadence the following 2(#cadences)*5(#targets)*3(#ticks/cadence) *(280+400)/2= 10200 healing.

Obviously assumptions were made but the point Iím trying to address is that at a certain gear point DD isnít as attractive as other specs. This napkin math doesnít show any changes in motif of regeneration which also scales off atk power, even though the scale is arguably non-existent if you donít have 5 points into riftstalker for the 15% atk power all your heal abilities will not do as much healing. A raid geared bard full buffed up can have close to 1k atk power, losing 15% of that is a decent chunk off your weapon DPS, Even if you go 51/13/2 over 51/15/0 the 9% drop in atk power is still a big hit.

Gearing:
    AP is better than crit by a lot but if you canít get your hands on certain items hereís some calculations (not originally done by me) demonstrating crit vs. AP.

(Not my numbers, from spreadsheet)

600 AP
    30% Crit

Cadence Tick: 140
    Cadence Tick (Crit): 210

Avg. Cadence Tick: 140*(1-0.3) + 210*(0.3) = 161

Eating a cupcake and adding 10 atk power we find new cadence numbersÖ

Cadence Tick: 140.816
    Cadence Tick (Crit): 211.224

Avg. Cadence Tick: 140.816*(1-0.3) + 211.224*(0.3) = 161.9384

Now take the cupcake off and return to the original 600 AP. Add in variables to the formula to represent the change in crit which would be needed to observe an average cadence change from 161 to 161.9384.

140*(1-0.3-x) + 210*(0.3+x) = 161.9384

x => 0.0134057 or 1.34057 % Crit

By game mechanics and using math on the character stats screen we find that, 26.37 Crit Rating = 1% Crit

Therefore, 1.34057% Crit = 35.35 Crit Rating

In conclusion 10 AP = 35.35 Crit rating

As you can see crit is a very expensive stat, meaning a lot of crit rating is needed to increase our crit by 1%. Furthermore we can see that AP is far better than crit. That being said there arenít very many items in each slot which have dex as the major stat and are atk power based. A majority of rogue itemization seems to be around crit (by Trion). Therefore in many cases rolling on a crit piece may be the best option for a long time, especially since only Justicar cleric loot ever dropsÖ

I think however there are exceptions to this math where crit point for point becomes more attractive than AP. This is purely opinion based and I have no math atm to support my claim but here it is anywaysÖ

Cadence and coda of resto both heal 5 targets; therefore clear break points can be defined. At 20% crit for example, on average we expect 1 person to get crit healed by our cadence or CoR, likewise at 80% crit weíd expect on average 4 ppl to get crit healed by cadence and CoR. At 19% crit we can assume that 95% of the time that 1 person will receive a critical hit from cadence and CoR (20% is the break point and 19%/20%*100% = 95% crit chance on 1 target). I think that if your crit % is close to 20, 40, 60, 80, or 100% than it is worth itemizing to achieve slightly over that crit rating. That being said I donít think itís currently feasible to have 60% crit rating raid buff (not sure on this), typically people seem to be maxing out at around 55% from what Iíve seen. Therefore I would submit that after 40% crit raid buffed you should 100% itemize around attack power. Once Hammernell comes out the crit ratings on gear will most likely be ******ed and thus I would assume after 60% crit rating we should 100% itemize around AP.

An overall hierarchy is: AP > DEX > STR > Crit point for point.

Rotation:

The bard rotation is very simple but its effective healing output is greatly dependant on your reaction time and proper use of CDís and finishers. As discussed before a majority of the cadences cast will not do any healing what-so-ever because they raid will be topped off completely. Using CoR is useless in these situations so you will find yourself doing extra cadences after reaching 5 combo points just so when AoE burst hits the raid you can use your CoR quickly and 100% effectively. Assuming constant raid damage your rotation is simply:

Full cadence Ė cadence (clipped at 5 combo ponits) Ė CoR

Remember to use Virt spam CoR when necessary and use VoV in situations where the majority of the raid has take at least 1k dmg simultaneously.

Your motifs should always be refreshed even if they are covered by another class. Resonance is a nice stat buff and overriding someoneís 5% crit and +62 atk power/sp is worth the GCDís to ensure it stays up on the raid 100% of the time.

Since the changes made in BETA with respect to time delay macros bards donít have any actual marcos which can assist them in performing better like many of the hierarchy marcos for the DPS souls. However, it is a good idea to always give warning of when verse is up so DPS can use CDís respectively like hit and run for example if a rogue in the raid is using Sozuís spec.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

The assumptions you are making is that all Bard healing is landing. Very rarely are all targets being healed. So in practice the higher heal you can deliver at any given point has more potential to heal for more over the long term. This is why the Deadly Dance Cadence is best.

Also melee is perfectly fine on every raid encounter. At range you're allowed to be a bit lazier.

As for macros, use a G15 or anything similar. It's not breaking any rules.
    Last edited by Draegan; 07-08-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

I'm trying to fill all five of my character slots with a bard build of some kind but I'm having trouble doing it justifiably.

So far I have 51 Bard, Battlebard (Bard/Bladedancer), PvP Bard (Bard/Riftstalker), PvA Bard (Bard/Assassin/Riftstalker), and uh... a dps spec that floats between Hokospec and the BD/Assassin build since I can't make up my mind which works best for me atm.

Somehow need an 800 dps Bard build to justify it. ;)
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    The assumptions you are making is that all Bard healing is landing. Very rarely are all targets being healed. So in practice the higher heal you can deliver at any given point has more potential to heal for more over the long term. This is why the Deadly Dance Cadence is best.

Also melee is perfectly fine on every raid encounter. At range you're allowed to be a bit lazier.
    A couple things. To start there are many fights where you don't want a large melee group because of boss mechanics, not because it would endanger more players from dying but more because of certain mechanics like GS plants Plutonus Cipher Prince bunny Dark Focus AoE adds. Having an extra player in the melee group instead of spread out and at range increases the chance that the melee group will be targeted by somewthing which requires more on-point AoE healing on them (less room for error) and that the melee will be hit by something or be CC'd which reduces their DPS for a short period of time.

I actually clearly go over that a majority of the heals don't land. And thats exactly the reason why DD isn't the best bard raid spec, not the other way around. You may have jsut skimmed the post so I'll reiterate...

With CURRENT boss mechanics bosses that have AoE damaging abilities all are designed to hit once and hard on the majority or entire raid (exception prince soul fracture). Before AoE healing is needed the raid will be kept topped off by maintenence heals from you clerics and chloros. Because of this a majority of the fight your cadecne will be very ineffiecient and most likely overheal a lot especially as BD (a majority of the source of bard over healing). Since Cadence and other healers over cover the healing requirements before AoE boss abilities the bard shouldn't be using a finisher (assumnig they want to min/max healing and not care about their worthless DPS). This way when the AoE hits the raid the bard can open with CoR since he already has 5 combo points and then maybe get a partial cadence off before the other healers heal the raid to full. If you are Bard/NB/RS your able to do this, if your BD then you are going to be constantly using your combo points at 5 so you can refresh DD always even tho the 105% dmg buffed cadence is healing for a small fraction of the dmg it's donig before AoE hits b/c the raid is already topped off.

Since the raids generally topped off at all times healers are going to be free to quickly burst heal the raid back to full in a few seconds. Since this is the case you only have a few seconds to get out heals which will be totally or majorly efficient. Using preloaded combo ponits to first Cor and then a cadence (4 seconds with latency and reaction time) will always do more healing than Cadence folowed by a clipped cadence with the DD buff.

If you think differently you are misinformed.

try this build for pvp, go 31 bard, 21 ranger, and 14 riftstalker. its a fun spec with a few cc breaks and aoe damage you can toss out along with heals and buffs.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by toblaki View Post
    try this build for pvp, go 31 bard, 21 ranger, and 14 riftstalker. its a fun spec with a few cc breaks and aoe damage you can toss out along with heals and buffs.
    I'm currently trying to grind up to R6 PvP. I have no Valor atm sicne I've been using my favor to buy R5 and R6 gear so I'll have a good chunk of gear ocne I get that high. I'll try this spec out when I get there I bet a cadence here and there plus MoR will keep me healed.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lelan View Post
    A couple things. To start there are many fights where you don't want a large melee group because of boss mechanics, not because it would endanger more players from dying but more because of certain mechanics like GS plants Plutonus Cipher Prince bunny Dark Focus AoE adds. Having an extra player in the melee group instead of spread out and at range increases the chance that the melee group will be targeted by somewthing which requires more on-point AoE healing on them (less room for error) and that the melee will be hit by something or be CC'd which reduces their DPS for a short period of time.

I actually clearly go over that a majority of the heals don't land. And thats exactly the reason why DD isn't the best bard raid spec, not the other way around. You may have jsut skimmed the post so I'll reiterate...

With CURRENT boss mechanics bosses that have AoE damaging abilities all are designed to hit once and hard on the majority or entire raid (exception prince soul fracture). Before AoE healing is needed the raid will be kept topped off by maintenence heals from you clerics and chloros. Because of this a majority of the fight your cadecne will be very ineffiecient and most likely overheal a lot especially as BD (a majority of the source of bard over healing). Since Cadence and other healers over cover the healing requirements before AoE boss abilities the bard shouldn't be using a finisher (assumnig they want to min/max healing and not care about their worthless DPS). This way when the AoE hits the raid the bard can open with CoR since he already has 5 combo points and then maybe get a partial cadence off before the other healers heal the raid to full. If you are Bard/NB/RS your able to do this, if your BD then you are going to be constantly using your combo points at 5 so you can refresh DD always even tho the 105% dmg buffed cadence is healing for a small fraction of the dmg it's donig before AoE hits b/c the raid is already topped off.

Since the raids generally topped off at all times healers are going to be free to quickly burst heal the raid back to full in a few seconds. Since this is the case you only have a few seconds to get out heals which will be totally or majorly efficient. Using preloaded combo ponits to first Cor and then a cadence (4 seconds with latency and reaction time) will always do more healing than Cadence folowed by a clipped cadence with the DD buff.

If you think differently you are misinformed.
    Well, allow me to correct you.

1) There are no fights where more melee hurts you as long as you play correctly. I'll go over your examples
    • GS Plants: If you have all your melee stack on one hind leg, then when the plants are summon move to the other hind leg, it's actually beneficial. You group all the plants in one location so you can get them wiped out.
    • Plutonus: Everyone is usually in melee range. You just don't want to be very close to the tank. I'm not sure why more or less melee make a difference here.
    • Prince Hylas: Bunny is such a huge radius, it's going to hit a ton of people in any case. I've never witnessed where one extra or less melee player really makes a difference and I've seen that number vary since release.
    • Dark Focus: Are we really concerned about this miniboss? The hit box is pretty big, just stand around it if it's an issue.

I mean, is there really any fight where 1 more or 1 less melee character is going to make you fail?

2) On your second point. You are very much correct. Cadence healing is extremely inefficient in a raid setting, but when you can get a full heal slipped in, I'd much rather it hit a random person for 400 rather than 200. That's efficiency in of itself. You're other example, of timing a CoR is ludicrous. Just because you're using DD for Cadence during any normal rotation, doesn't mean when you need to time a CoR for a big predictable AOE damage spike you're suddenly going to forget you have CoR on your hotbar.

You're neglecting the fact that a DD Bard and your build are both 51 point bard specs. A DD Bard can do exactly what you're preaching and also offers stronger heals via cadence when you might actually need them like in Prince Hylas for a lower geared raid.

There is absolutely no benefit from going Ranger/NB/RS over BD. None. There is everything to gain by using Deadly Dance. At the most, you pick up maybe 40? 50? more heal on a CoR? But you want to ignore cadence ticking for double the amount?

Just because you have Deadly Strike on your hotbar doesn't prevent your from using Coda of Restoration.
    Last edited by Draegan; 07-08-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

Well, allow me to correct you.

Just because you have Deadly Strike on your hotbar doesn't prevent your from using Coda of Restoration.
    You are right on this but depending on your guild's tactics on the fights it can be detrimental to be in melee all the time. I run melee on Infiltrator, but ranged on everything else because of guild tactics. The stuff still dies in one pull and that is what is important. Even as one of the guild class leads I am not going to go to the raid leader and ask him to change what works just because I want to potentially increase my personal hps parse on a fight we are already winning. We start seriously working RoS soon. I'll probably look to guiding tactics at that point but I tend to look at success of the team before I look at my own parse. Even with the ranged build I am still often top 3 on fights like Oracle so even without using the melee Bard/BD build it's not too shabby /wink.

Back to the OP. I too found that RS was better than Rng in terms of the ranged build as much as people said other wise.
    Last edited by Galibier; 07-08-2011 at 01:28 PM.

I guess this is a better spot than anywhere else I can think of offhand.

I've heard lots of randoms grumbling about bards being extremely hard to kill (granted, it's from randoms -- the type of people to queue with points being unspent and who attack the 10k health defensive tanks), but I've yet to hit this 'magical threshold of invulnerability', especially compared to where I was at in beta.

I was wondering what sort of gear level I need to be at before I can trolololo tank one idiot warrior or one MM long enough for a slower than molasses healer to have time to realize I'm being attacked and press buttons to make green numbers go up.

It's exceedingly frustrating for me right now because I pretty much get torn up by one dps while really struggling to put anything out offensively or from a healing perspective (especially since I usually have to muck around in Guardian phase with how high priority a target I seem to be), and throwing out CC in pug warfronts is like sticking my [expletive] in a blender, unless I use Rift Prison, which is like the Holy Grail for someone who tries to use CC intelligently.

I'm rolling w/ 34 Bard/32 Riftstalker/0 Saboteur atm. I'm somewhere in the P1/P2 gear mix with some T2 gear, putting me currently at 270 Valor (10.8% mitigation -- I'm working on that figure). My health/armor in Guardian Phase is 6379/4569 (41.28%). I've got five blinks and all the defensive blink buffs (30% runspeed, 2s of stun/snare/root immunity, capped Rift Barrier). I set up Mem Capture/Flashback pretty much at the onset of every encounter and use it to try and get out of jail. Saboteur snare pit is there to peel defensively or slow runners offensively. I juggle Anthems as appropriate between all four. I use Rift Guard a hell of a lot (may need to screw with Guarded Steel).

I still get absolutely wrecked by Marksmen (IHnR), Paragons, and the odd Assassin.

What gear tier and/or amount of valor/armor/health will I need to be at before I can at least reduce the amount of time smashing my keyboard in frustration if my healers are box healing other people?
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Soulwalker

hey, i'm going to do bard support in greenscale. so i'm trying to improve my little healing. are there any souls better than 51bard/10nightblade/5sabo concerning the heal?
    51 in bard is needed, because there will be no other bard.

This is the build i use:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...bMh.EIdqiqskqz

Blazing Fury : +15% for Cadence
    Unstable State: +9% for Cadence
    F and D Attun: +3% for Cadence
    Melted Skin: +5% for Cadence (fairly decent up time)

Works perfect, no gimicks...
    Rezzistance -Seastone/Defiant Mage
    Rezzist - Seastone/Defiant Rogue
    MeatyCurtains - Seastone/Guardian Rogue

As for macros, use a G15 or anything similar. It's not breaking any rules.
    this is a weird question, but I have a G15 but suck at using it to program macros. The extent of it was mapping some keys to other keys. Do you have any suggestions or help for a rift bard on how to use a G15 to make my life easier? Or know of any posts about it? Or even suggestions as to what to search for to get started? Sorry to derail this post.
    Last edited by Ethias; 07-09-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Soulwalker

Bind motifs to some combinations of ctrl 1-5 or alt 1-5, then just input that button combo into a macro setup, with timer on (take like 1 sec between recording keystrokes). (This is with a keyboard macro maker, e.g. G series logitech ones)

On GS, you really are much, much (so much) better as reactionary healer than the ****ty cadence build. Get enough points into NB for the 2 pt combo builder, and make a macro to use that, the 2 pt bard and then the heal coda.

#show dusk strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast dusk strike
    cast power chord
    cast coda of restoration

GS fight is very bard rotation friendly. start encounter, build up 5 points as he'll plant right away usually. Blow off a coda of restoration, and (in melee range) hit your macro to get 4 points and then coda again, then buff motifs, build 5 points, blow off a dmg coda or w/e you want (this is free time in first 2 stages, third and fourth might need to heal coda). Build 5 points again and hold until strangle plants spawn, maybe like 3 secs later, and start all over from the beginning. Blow virtuoso after about second plant spawn to maximize CD's of it (and associated DPS increase across raid, mana, etc.). I find that saving virtuoso and using it to AE the **** out of the final add spawn is also very helpful as it actually does very decent AE dmg to add into the mix.

Dont have the parse on me, but if a raid healer (chloro mainly) gets like 480k (effective, i.e. not overheals) heals overall then I will generally sit at 350-400k myself, so yes the heal contribution is pretty good.
    Last edited by Legidias; 07-09-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Amended motif macro

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kanabull View Post
    This is the build i use:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...bMh.EIdqiqskqz

Blazing Fury : +15% for Cadence
    Unstable State: +9% for Cadence
    F and D Attun: +3% for Cadence
    Melted Skin: +5% for Cadence (fairly decent up time)

Works perfect, no gimicks...
    Have you tried replacing Riftstalker with Ranger or Marksman for the increased DPS from cadence being based on your ranged weapon? Does the Shadow Stalk really help that much?

I can agree with some of what you've said, but I don't think your math is correct unless you discount cadence.

Take for example this spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VV0skVz.Vf0G0o

Now modify the rotation and do:

Cadence - Cadence - Coda of Restoration
    Cadence - Cadence (clipped at 2) - Deadly strike

It will heal for more then your build will, with the only downside being melee which is only an issue on Anarak. If you're not going to go 51 bard, I just don't see a reason to go 44. Going 32 and having a back-up 51 bard works fine. The above build also has a dps option.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast