+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Experimental DPS Builds

Shadowlander

Default Experimental DPS Builds

Hey guys, figured that I haven't posted in the forums yet, why not share some of the builds I've been thinking up lately? I realize that there are massive amounts of dps builds, and many, many builds that are definite "top dps" builds, but these two I have listed below are fairly powerful .

Keep in mind, the only buffs I'm using are the ones available from the souls. I don't waste material buffs for testing dps... pointless.

Build #1: 24 Blade Dancer/23 Rift Stalker/19 Assassin

This build is fairly simple, nothing super complex. I just thought of it this morning. I was curious as to how effective the 15% crit modifier in RS would be, paired with the 15% damage from Stalker Phase after using Shadow Assault/Stalk. It came out to be fairly effective.

opening rotation is something near this:
    Stealth -> Expose Weakness -> Shadow Stalk -> Assassinate -> Puncture -> Keen Strike -> Deadly Strike -> Backstab -> Shadow Assault -> Precision Strike -> Keen Strike -> Deadly Strike

Then you go into the typical BD rotation, using Backstab/Puncture or Backstab/Precision Strike after every Deadly Strike. The trick to this build is to use Shadow Stalk at just the right time; which I find to be right before Deadly Strike. Using SS gives you the 15% damage/crit for 10 seconds, so you have enough time to go through one finisher before using Shadow Assault. The trick is to try to use SA almost exactly 10 seconds after using SS to maximize those 10 second buffs. (keeping up a 15% damage/crit buff 66% of the time if done perfectly).

My gear is almost all T2, not fantastic, but I'm pulling somewhere near 830 sustained on boss dummies with this one (only 20 below what i pull as sabdancer). I'd like to see some feed back from others testing it out . I personally find it really enjoyable to play. (i'm assuming it'll never reach that "top dps" obtained in other builds)

Build #2: 20 Nightblade/ 27 Blade Dancer/ 19 Assassin
    Aka: Flame Dancer / Fire Blade, can't decide on a name.
    (actually got this build from a guildy, tweaked it, and perfected the rotation)

Rotation in this one is near identical to the build listed above. The only differences;
    -Use Dark Malady instead of Assassinate in opening
    -Instead of using Shadow Stalk/Assault, use Fiery Spike right before every finisher

In raid setting, you'll want to use Hellfire Blades/ Smoldering Blades instead of Hellfire/Lethal poison (assuming there's another rogue using lethal poison). If that raid doesn't have a bard, you'll need to use Dauntless Strike for that 5% crit every minute as well.

Managing CD's is really easy with this one. Using Blade Tempo, just continue your normal rotation. Only use Ebon Fury immediately after Deadly Strike. Then do Dusk Strike x3/ Deadly Strike, Dusk x2/ Fiery Spike/ Deadly Strike (repeat until ebon fury ends). Just remember that you should NOT use them at the same time, since dusk strike won't benefit from blade tempo. I pull about 880 - 920 with this spec on boss dummies.
    ----------------------------

I'm really happy with the Flame Dancer/ Fire Blade build, as it's currently my strongest spec. I'm hoping that all rogues can put it to use effectively .

BTW, if you're wanting macros for these builds, tough luck. The most I use for macros is this;

#show Keen Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

No joke, that's the only macro i use for these builds, everything else is manual.
    Again, feedback would be much appreciated!

General of Telara

Well you can certainly have a lot of fun with the first build w/ all the Shifting. Not saying it'd be wtf awesome, but with at least BD/Sin running you'd do pretty well.

Your second spec was actually one of the first builds to become popular after 1.2 hit. It still is a very good single target build with a simple rotation. You actually want to use Fiery Spike with the Deadly Dance buff, along with 1 of the 2CP abilities and Backstab, then finish off with a Keen Strike to get to 5CP. You dont actually need 2/2 Melted Skin, because I'm pretty sure 1/2 is enough to keep the buff up ~100% of the time. You could move the extra point into Fire & Death Attunement or Heat Retention.

Soulwalker

I'm not yet 50 on my rogue, but have been planning to reach something very similar to your 2nd build. I've been playing around with it in my head a little bit though, and thought about hitting something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Rcxob.Vf0I0s0o

While you lose a little in bladedancer (vivacity), you pick up heat retention, enhanced weapon enchantments, and scourge strike. The biggest question to this build is probably whether scourge strike is worth it or not, and to that I don't have an answer.

I don't know if this would be an overall dps increase, but it would def. fit the theme of the "fire blade/flamedancer." My personal term for the build is the all-purpose rogue though.

Shadowlander

@Vitto; Yea the first build is a lot of fun. If get lucky with crits during Blade Tempo, and I use the SS/SA combo for the buffs, I do 4 hits of 1500+ within 4 seconds. It's pretty awesome

And, I typically avoided using Fiery Spike after Deadly Strike because sometimes it wouldn't allow me to use Precision Strike. Sometimes I need to throw out a Keen Strike before I can use it during Deadly Dance.

@Labattblue; I'm not too sure if Scourge of Darkness would be worth using in this spec... It might be though. I know that for me personally, Deadly Dance ups the damage of my backstab from about 800 crit to 1200 crit, and it's about the same for precision strike. Even on non-crits, they'll hit for about 700 instead of the typical 400-450. Scourge of Darkness, from what I remember when I used NB, does about 150-170 damage per application (exluding crits). So you'd be getting anywhere from 1500 to near 3000 (3000 is if every application were to crit).

So on a non-crit scenario;
    Deadly Strike does about 900, Scourge of Darkness does about 1500
    You'd lose 400 from Backstab, 400 from Precision Strike, and about 250-300 from a Keen Strike
    Total Damage lost from abilities: 1050
    Damage Gained from SoD: ~600
    Result: 450 damage loss

And, in a 100% crit scenario, I'm sure this would be the same, only with higher numbers. (My numbers could very possibly be wrong, since I'm going off of memory here) Eh, I don't think it'd work to well, but I'd say try it out just to make sure. Enhanced Weapon Enchantments & Heat Retention might make up for that damage loss :P.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelz View Post
    And, in a 100% crit scenario, I'm sure this would be the same, only with higher numbers. (My numbers could very possibly be wrong, since I'm going off of memory here) Eh, I don't think it'd work to well, but I'd say try it out just to make sure. Enhanced Weapon Enchantments & Heat Retention might make up for that damage loss :P.
    Thanks for the numbers and feedback! I haven't hit a level where I can actually try out the spec, so your feedback is helpful!

+ Reply to Thread