+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guide: Fresh 50 to Raid Ready Rogue in 2 Days

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default Guide: Fresh 50 to Raid Ready Rogue in 2 Days

I've received a surprising number of people asking me about specs and one thing that seems to come up in conversations is some variation of "whats the best way to get ready for raiding?" I decided to address that here. Behold: everything you need to know about getting ready to raid.

This and other guides available at Dunsparrow.com.

Goals
    • 100 Hit for T2s
    • All T1 blue or better gear
    • 200-220 Hit for Raids
    • Weaponating your Weapon slots
    44-49
    In this level range, you need to spend 100% of your time in instances or in the following 3 zones doing quests: Iron Pine Peak, Shimmersand, Stillmoor. The reason is simple: you need the reputations from the major factions in these zones for important items that will help you not be a 300 dps charity case when you get into T2s or Greenscale. Once you're 48, the only instances you should be running are Charmer's Caldera or Abyssal Precipice.

Day 1: Ding 50!

Grats! Now lets get to work.
    • Buy at Wyrmbane Spire (requires Decorated with Dragonslayers): Drake Scale Choker for +26 hit
    • Run Chamer's Caldera (CC) at least once (preferably before 50) to complete the quest and get: Wind-Touched Mace for +26 hit
    • Buy at Zareph's Return (requires Decorated with Mathos): Sapphire Studded Mathosian Band x2 for total of +40 hit
    • Crafted: Spined Compound Bow with augment. +30 hit
    • Crafted: Wayward Breeches with augment. This is equivalent to T2 leg.
    • Get your 6-slot Sigil/Core and throw some cheap level 40+ lessers in there with dex/crit. Get as many Agile Reflex as you can afford, and fill the rest with whatever is on the AH. Put lessers in your greater slots. Greaters are mostly inferior to lessers.
    • OPTIONAL Crafted: Sword of the Order or Callous Blade. +25 hit. Only do this if your weapon is particularly bad.
    If you're not decorated with Mathos and Dragonslayer yet, get there. Its very easy. In the rest of the slots your questing/leveling items will suffice. You now have over 100 hit and are set for Tier 2 dungeons. Do not spend time in Tier 1s unless you just want the experience.

Runes

Now that you have some shiny (and some not-so-shiny) gear. What runes to use? Eventually, you'll want to be using the Mathos, Icewatch and Dragonslayer runes for your Belt, Helm and Legs, but you're probably not there yet. Runecrafters can get you started and the vendors in the zones you leveled through can fill in the gaps:Day 2: Tier 2s

If you are LFG for T2, you stand the best chance of finding one if you can queue as both DPS and support. You should have at least 2 roles.
    • Your DPS role should be ranged saboteur. This will allow you to crush the DPS meters while having maximum awareness to not stand in fire or other things that may damage your reputation. The rotation is 5x Shrapnel > Detonate, 5x Spike > Detonate. Cake.
    • Your support role should be raid bard. Focus on learning to be a good bard, keeping Motifs active, group healing, timing cooldowns and not dying.
    You may have different ideas about these specs. You might think you know better or you might have a pet spec that you used while leveling. Maybe you really are smarter than everyone else, but I encourage you to learn to use the cookie cutter specs first and then once you have the basics down, you can use them as a baseline to compare with whatever you want to try. You will find that the cookie cutter specs are there for a reason: they are best in the vast majority of situations.

Which T2s to run?

As a DPS rogue, your weapons are of paramount importance. Expert Runic Descent should be your #1 priority and I encourage you to queue for that first before using the random queue function. RDx has the Eyemangler and Blackheart Blade for weapons, the trash drop Rune-Carved Bow (best for a long time) along with the Cover of Night, Loop of the Dangerous, Shard of Planes, and several excellent blue items. Its a rogue item bonanza.

There are great upgrades in every T2, and eventually you'll want to run them all many times. Your best items will come from RDx and DSMx.

Once you run 2-3 T2s, you should have the hit required for Greenscale/RoS.

Day 3: Ready to Raid

Your target hit is 220. On the off chance that your T2 runs didn't put you over the 200 hit soft cap, craft Mask of the Hunter for +20 more hit. You can then stick this in the wardrobe slot when you find an upgrade.

Before you march off into Greenscale and RoS, make sure you are doing the Daily Raid Rift each day. The quest is available in your faction's capital city and doing this will get you 7 Inscribed Stones, and a chance at some nice items each day. Every 3 days of doing the Daily RR will allow you to purchase one epic lesser essence and start tricking out that source core and replacing those blue/green essences. Nice!

Good luck in your raid career!
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 07-07-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Sez

Nice guide, Dun.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Good compilation of information but horrendously misleading. You'll only get "raid ready" in 2 days if your guild has everything on farm status and is carrying you, in which case you could have just gone in with your quested greens and contributed about as much. If you want to actually do decent DPS and not die to every AOE and eat all your guild's battle rezzes, it's going to require more than 2-3 T2s.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

great guide only change 1 thing. you want to run eAP first and foremost, it has a boe gun AND a tank bow (both which you should use to up your dps for the 36dps) as well as a boe axe, dropped axe, AND dropped dagger (which btw is the 2nd BiS hit dagger and 4th BiS dps dagger). this will get your weapons fastest since you have 5 chances to get a weapon upgrade, RD only has 3 chances. other good one is dsm which has 3 weapon options as well and CC has 2 bow options.

everything else i agree with 100% even the specs.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Good compilation of information but horrendously misleading. You'll only get "raid ready" in 2 days if your guild has everything on farm status and is carrying you, in which case you could have just gone in with your quested greens and contributed about as much. If you want to actually do decent DPS and not die to every AOE and eat all your guild's battle rezzes, it's going to require more than 2-3 T2s.
    I'm not saying you can start a raid, I'm saying you can join one and contribute meaningfully to the raid. As a saboteur in the gear I suggest, you would be able to do a steady 700 DPS single target. As a bard, you would be able to heal successfully. Raid ready does not mean you carry the raid. It means you're not dead weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    great guide only change 1 thing. you want to run eAP first and foremost, it has a boe gun AND a tank bow (both which you should use to up your dps for the 36dps) as well as a boe axe, dropped axe, AND dropped dagger (which btw is the 2nd BiS hit dagger and 4th BiS dps dagger). this will get your weapons fastest since you have 5 chances to get a weapon upgrade, RD only has 3 chances. other good one is dsm which has 3 weapon options as well and CC has 2 bow options.

everything else i agree with 100% even the specs.
    BOE drop rates are very low, but yes APx is good as well. Ideally, you'll be running all T2s.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 07-07-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    there is no cap to how many t2s you can run, my warrior literally got raid ready in 1 weekend.

and i don't mean, hit cap (i had that when i hit 50 with crafted gear), i mean how long it took to get a weapon so i could do 1200+ dps in a raid.
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™

Ascendant

Nice guide.

Now it shouldn't be long for someone asking for someone to make a guide on getting a rogue raid ready in a short time.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfishy View Post
    Nice guide.

Now it shouldn't be long for someone asking for someone to make a guide on getting a rogue raid ready in a short time.
    lol, give it 5 more minutes and it will be the first or 2nd post of someone at the top of the forums.

Champion of Telara

As a general note, you don't need to pull 1200 dps to be "raid ready" and not be completely useless. If you're in a guild that punching out 24000 raid dps on Plutonus and clearing GSB+ROS in just over 2 hours, then you know you are getting carried.

Assuming you need this guide in the first place, your raiding profile will more likely be GSB progression, pushing past Johlen, picking up Oracle as a freebie with a few wipes, and progressing in the %s on Prince. If your guild has patience, you're grinding through Dark Focii and maybe slapping down Warmaster in ROS.

Pulling a very clean and steady range Sab rotation with 700 DPS (assume it will bump up to ~850 or something with raid buffs) is quite sufficient for Duke and Oracle, might be a bit shaky for Johlen (mainly because Sab in particular has slow buildup on the bomb). With a little carrying by the raid you can clear the other easier bosses as well.

I give the guide a +1. A lot of newbies / fresh 50s simply may not know how many ways there are to get 220 hit, or start with a baseline of tolerable performance.

Rift Disciple

Tagarooski! Thanks.

Rift Disciple

Day 1: Ding 50!
    Grats! Now lets get to work.
    Buy Drake Scale Choker for +26 hit
    I opted for the crafted Keen Platinum Gorget, 2 pts less hit but 50% better DPS stats.
    Run Chamer's Caldera and get: Wind-Touched Mace for +26 hit
    I opted for a pair of crafted Nimble Callous Blades, better hit and stats.
    Buy Sapphire Studded Mathosian Band x2 for total of +40 hit
    I opted for a pair of crafted Nimble Titan Signets. There is nothing better outside of ROS or GP.
    Crafted: Spined Compound Bow with augment. +30 hit
    Got it.
    Crafted: Wayward Breeches with augment. This is equivalent to T2 leg.
    I made this myself after getting the faction needed to buy the recipe.
    However this is equivalent to the T1 Ravager's Leggings, not the T2 Marauder's Leggings.
    I also made a Mask of the Hunter for myself and I would argue that the Mask IS a T2 equivalent helm as I would only replace it with the T3 Plaque or GSB Duke helm.
    Get your 6-slot Sigil/Core …
    Got it, although I use the two “bard” greaters with 4 different Agile Reflex equivalent lessers.
    Runes
    I made all of the suggested Runes for myself as I am a runecrafter.

Day 2: Tier 2s
    If you are LFG for T2, you stand the best chance of finding one if you can queue as both DPS and support. You should have at least 2 roles.
    Your DPS role should be ranged saboteur.
    Your support role should be raid bard.
    This is what I wish I had known a month ago and have spent the last month figuring out. I have been playing a ranged sab since beta working though all of the different specs as they kept changing the game. I learned about the Bard and how to actually play it only since I dinged 50.
    Once you run 2-3 T2s, you should have the hit required for Greenscale/RoS.
    Not sure I agree with this. Using your above suggestions I would have a hit of only 158. What kind of drops are going to give me another 62 Hit in only 2-3 runs? I don’t see them.

Day 3: Ready to Raid
    …make sure you are doing the Daily Raid Rift each day.
    Now this is a great suggestion and I wish someone had told me about it weeks ago. If you really want to get raid ready what you should do is do the Daily RR followed by one T2 run each day for two weeks. Then you really will be raid ready because even if you don’t get a single drop out of the T2s you will have enough plaques to buy the Marauder's Gloves, the best gloves you can get outside of ROS, along with 4 of the best lesser essences that you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by dbmoreland View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. Using your above suggestions I would have a hit of only 158. What kind of drops are going to give me another 62 Hit in only 2-3 runs? I don’t see them.
    The title of the thread should be "Raid ready Rogue in 2 days (Assuming you get the 1% drop rate items in a single run)"

Good idea though Dumbsparrow. Keep up the good work brah.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote Originally Posted by Sozu View Post
    The title of the thread should be "Raid ready Rogue in 2 days (Assuming you get the 1% drop rate items in a single run)"

Good idea though Dumbsparrow. Keep up the good work brah.
    Keep obsessing over me despite quitting the game weeks ago.

Ascendant

Sozu and Hoko in the same thread again.

It's like clash of the titans of named builds.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Keep obsessing over me despite quitting the game weeks ago.
    Who quit? Last I checked you had to be subscribed to post here.

You just cant handle criticism lol. You take any sort of criticism as a personal insult and it makes me laugh. It's why you are so hated on Deepstrike. Quite possibly the biggest laughingstock of the server. Next to Illidan of course. I'd say about on par with Shinigami.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast