+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bard - is there a raid spec that also can do ok dmg

Soulwalker

Default Bard - is there a raid spec that also can do ok dmg

I concidering give bard a go, i see a lot of good stuff that are useful when you raid.

But i would alsio like to be able to do some dmg, not the highest but decent.

I havent played bard before and it would be for pve mainly.

If you got any input it would be greatly apriciated.

Rift Disciple

Search for battlebard or hybrid bard. Good stuff to be found.

Rift Disciple

If you count the amount of dps you are adding with your motifs, cost aura, fanfare and of course Verse of Joy, you're probably the 2nd or third highest dps in the raid... Right next to the archon and Spotter's orders using warrior.

As bard your numbers don't mean much. It's what you add to the raid that matters. Just be sure you never have more than 1 bard. If you would be the 2nd bard and that's the purpose of this, you should just go a real dps spec tbh.
    Last edited by Equis; 07-07-2011 at 05:20 AM.

The point is that noone in our raid actually enjoys playing bard, they all see as the boring job that the guy with the lowest dps gets relegated to.

So I figured if we can get by with a 40pt bard for 90% of the raid encounters - and I don't see any reason why not, can it then be possible to make a bard a bit more interesting to play by making a suitable hybrid build to do a little DPS as well as maintain the motifs/debuffs.

Infact I think they only really need to work the vital motifs for resonance into thier rotation, coda of cowardice/distress can be covered by other players - Archon/BM. Which should allow for a decent DPS rotation.

But i'm a Cleric and a Warrior and i know nothing at all about rogue DPS mechanics or much about bards either really, but I hope this does give all you rogue experts an idea of what zeventh was talking about.

Soulwalker

Verse of joy by itself (when up) is the single most powerful raid buff in the game and is one of the strongest reasons to have a bard in raid. It can add to each warrior / rogue DPS about ~200-300 DPS at the minimum, and can be lifesavers for all the casters that arent mana friendly in extended fights.

Anyways, bards in general just dont do competent damage. Even with the (fail raid) bard dancer specs, it wont match, say, archon DPS at all, and in that case you lose huge raid support buffs.

I should also state that that I enjoy playing bard, and I am one of the better geared players on defiant side on my server (almost all T3 gear). I play a reactive healer rather than the (fail IMO) bard dancer in raids that base heals off cadence. I get numbers just baaarely below chloro's on heavy raid damage encoutners (e.g. hylas, greenscale) where the massive ae dmg is easy to predict.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Legidias View Post
    Verse of joy by itself (when up) is the single most powerful raid buff in the game and is one of the strongest reasons to have a bard in raid. It can add to each warrior / rogue DPS about ~200-300 DPS at the minimum, and can be lifesavers for all the casters that arent mana friendly in extended fights.

Anyways, bards in general just dont do competent damage. Even with the (fail raid) bard dancer specs, it wont match, say, archon DPS at all, and in that case you lose huge raid support buffs.

I should also state that that I enjoy playing bard, and I am one of the better geared players on defiant side on my server (almost all T3 gear). I play a reactive healer rather than the (fail IMO) bard dancer in raids that base heals off cadence. I get numbers just baaarely below chloro's on heavy raid damage encoutners (e.g. hylas, greenscale) where the massive ae dmg is easy to predict.
    I felt the need to respond to this post.

I'm tired of hearing bards can't heal and that they aren't gonig to heal like chloros and that bards healing is all over healing. Those ppl are simply misinformed or have the worst rogue in their guild go bard. Having these ****balls play bard gives the bard soul a bad name, idc what people say bards are more than support and CAN fill the role of an AoE healer when played correctly.

I 100% agree with everything your post said.
    Last edited by Lelan; 07-07-2011 at 09:54 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Faulty premise: You're not there to do damage. If you want to do damage, you should go full DPS. If you're asked to bard, you need to provide the buffs, healing and support that you're there for, and that requires sacrificing virtually all of your damage. 51 bard or go DPS. No in between.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 07-07-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Plane Walker

comement deleted
    Last edited by twistinthunder; 07-07-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    'It's been a looooong time....

Soulwalker

Default /No

Bards can solo heal tier 2s.

Nuff said.

I love playing Bard. I love playing 51 Bard. Dunno how its boring, especially in a raid setting that is always changing. I myself hate dpsing now. I try to dps as well with Fiery Spike and add it to my rotation so I constantly have a dps debuff on the boss when possible. Could try that as it will add 50-100 dps to wtvr it is you are doing.

If you are being looked down upon because of low dps and such, then you need to find people that know how to play the game lol.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Uruviel View Post
    Bards can solo heal tier 2s.

Nuff said.

LOL, I hope no one takes that seriously ...

In a 20-man, I'd probably go with 51 Bard, but for a 10-man you can roll with Battlebard with some success. I subbed in for GP boss 4 last night and I think I was in the ballpark of 400 dps/300 hps. The only thing we lost out on more or less was 12 Wisdom/12 Intelligence for the raid.

Nobody was having power/energy/mana issues with Fervor up. ymmv, of course.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Braxine View Post
    LOL, I hope no one takes that seriously ...
    Why? It is true. Properly spec'd/geared, a bardancer can heal T2s. 650+ HPS just from cadence.

nvm then, thanks for the constructive on topic advice. lol

In a perfect world my guild would have a rogue who loves to play bard in a fully support role and cared about doing it well. Sadly, at the moment this isn't the case, they all think its boring and hate being asked to go bard.

I'm sorry I asked for some advice on how i can make it more to suit thier playstyle.

Verse of Joy rocks, I agree 100% with this fact, however when all is said and done, I havn't found a raid encounter yet where it made the difference between win or lose. We have enough DPS to live without it, and we have good enough healers to get away with a bard who just keeps the motifs up and doesn't have to worry much about the healing side of things.

We do need him/her to be able to cast fanfare of knowledge though, hence why a 40pt spec. So any advice about this, apologies if I come across as an as s hat its not intended and any help is appreciated!

Rift Disciple

You only really need a 51 point bard for boss fights, just because the benefit that verse of joy brings. Once you reach the 5% bonus to stats for having the three motifs up, you're good to go for points in bard.

Your guild shouldn't become energy starved enough to need VoJ on trash fights with fervor or living energy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast