+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger Concept Wrong?

Soulwalker

Default Ranger Concept Wrong?

Mostly idle thoughts... I was just going to create an "explorer" role for my character to make it easier to wander around looking for artifacts or just wandering and such. So I'm thinking just go assassin until I get improved stealth, then whatever seems fun.

Then I think, wait... shouldn't Ranger be all about wandering around in the woods? So I check out Ranger and there's almost nothing that would support exploration or travel. Ok, I guess fleeting instincts but what good is that if you have to stop every 3 feet to fight some low level mob?

So shouldn't a ranger have some stealth skill, or maybe something else to make exploring/traveling easier? As is I don't even really see why the Ranger is a Rogue soul. It's a combat specialized class that uses a pet... sounds more like a warrior thing to me.
    Last edited by Sarlax; 06-15-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Plane Touched

Last I checked you play a rogue that has access to 3 souls at any given moment with stealth available as a 4 point investment in assassin or NB. The advantage of being ascended you are not limited to the soul powers of one archetype within the class.

So whats the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrys View Post
    Last I checked you play a rogue that has access to 3 souls at any given moment with stealth available as a 4 point investment in assassin or NB. The advantage of being ascended you are not limited to the soul powers of one archetype within the class.

So whats the issue?
    ^^^this!

i lvl'd as a ranger with 21pts in assassin for perma stealth from 35-50, the mulit-soul system is win!
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Soulwalker

Yes, mechanically I can easily build a good character for exploring. In fact, I will do so focusing on Assassin. The point is that conceptually it seems weird. An Assassin should be good at pretty much one thing: killing people. But because of the way the game mechanics work out it's actually a really good class for exploration. Exactly how often in books do Assassins guide the party through the deepest, darkest woods? Now how often do Rangers do that?

That said I'll probably do this as Sin/Rang so I can take that Fleetness instinct.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sarlax View Post
    Exactly how often in books do Assassins guide the party through the deepest, darkest woods? Now how often do Rangers do that?
    How often in books do Rangers sneak around and avoid fights?
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

Sez

Why are you guys so stuck on the label?

A rose by any other name.

L2Shakespeare
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    How often in books do Rangers sneak around and avoid fights?

Quite a lot, actually. "Hey look, this looks like the claw marks of some really dangerous animal... let's go around that way instead!"

@Sez: What if you called it a stinkblossom? :P
    Last edited by Sarlax; 06-15-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Sarlax View Post
    What if you called it a stinkblossom? :P
    It would still smell just as sweet, but nobody would buy them.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy.
    Thou art theyself, though not a Montague.
    Whar's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Shall I go on?

Shadowlander

I have to agree with the OP on this one. The wide range of talents does make for some interesting combinations and certiantly afford quite a bit of duality. The only thing it's realy lacking in is deapth.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Turrant View Post
    Shall I go on?

Yes, actually. What happens at the end? Would the same thing have happened if her name hadn't been Montague?

You shouldn't confuse the idle dreams of youth with reality, and as those characters found out a name really means a LOT. :P

Prophet of Telara

Well, traditionally, the Ranger type character is normally somewhat adept at both ranged attacks and melee. They often have an animal companion, and travel/explore the wilds. From that perspective, I see your point.

On the other hand, you can pretty much make that by utilizing the three souls, which is probably why Trion didn't stick to traditional lore with this class. You could, for example, make a Ranger/Bladedancer, and then would be pretty similar to the traditional type of Ranger you are seeking.

go ranger/assassin/nightblade
    Quote Originally Posted by Effi View Post
    I have seen the desecrations they have done, the murders they have wrought, and it can be no sin to be the hand of justice.

Ranger is the only soul in the game that can have animals and even people appear on the minimap.
    Sounds pretty exploration-like to me.
    Rank 4 Cleric (Inquisicar) [retired]
    Rank 6 Rogue (Sin, Sab or NB) [retired]
    Retired from Rift due to a lack of PVP content and increasing server instability.

+ Reply to Thread