+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: riftstalker,, good tank or just a fun idee?

Soulwalker

Default riftstalker,, good tank or just a fun idee?

hey everyone,,

i started playing like a month ago and really like the idee of a riftstalker tank, just the problem is i hear alot of sounds saying it isnt that good for tankin.. my qeustion: is riftstalker anything of a tank on high levels, comparing with a warior tank or is it just to squishy?

I think it's more of a problem with maintaining agro management then it is being squishy. I have no real opinions since I haven't tried tanking with my rogue but from what I understand it's just harder to maintain control of mobs.

Soulwalker

Riftstalker is the only soul in the rogue class capable of tanking. I run a Riftstalker/ Bladedancer/ Bard build and find it fun to play. For the record rogues can tank anything a Warrior or Cleric can with the only caveat being we do take some more damage since we cannot get nearly as much armor compared to the other two.

One thing to note is right now we do not have many AoE taunts/attacks to grab aggro. Makes multi-mob pulls a bit of pain. However, it is still very doable.

I am lvl 50 and currently tanking for Raids along with T2s for my other guildes. Whomever has said it is not possible does not know what they are talking about.

Shadowlander

Sigh, this again...

Every so often someone who never tanked as a riftstalker decides to come in and ask if RS can tank... and then a bunch of people who don't know, say they don't know but don't think so...

http://unstablerift.com/?q=node/171

Read, learn, and most of all have fun.

RS is currently one of the most effective endgame tanks, RS has not had aoe aggro issues since last patch's increase to threat on Rift Disturbance.

A big part is the player, RS requires more interaction from the player to survive, but once you know how to tank with one, they're great.

(we don't actually take more damage btw, we have less armor, but more mitigation with our buffs up than clerics. We are competitive with wars) It is very important imo to maximize armor on your gear though. a piece with 30 more armor means more than a few points in stats (end/dex/str) otherwise you will take more damage.
    Last edited by Midnight; 06-14-2011 at 09:43 AM.

This thread again, really?

Rift Disciple

Default =)

I am lvl 39 right now and I have tanked every dungeon so far as a RS tank and have not had any issues. I have been told by a few healers that I am easier to heal than a cleric or warrior tank. I enjoy it and I like the fact you have to pay more attention to what your doing with a RS tank compaired to others. I would try it and see if you enjoy doing it, make your own choice.

Soulwalker

Midnight

We do take more damage. Yes we can mitigate with Rift Guard and with talents Shadow Blitz starts you off with a shield (that doesn't stack with Rift Guard). We do not have a 3.5k to 4k shield that would be equivalent to about half your T2 Geared rogues armor with buffs.

Secondly, we do need a buff to AoE Taunts/ Attacks. Rift Disturbance is on a 8sec cool down. Planar Attraction 1 minute. That leaves you with spamming twin strike with compound strike as finisher for multi mobs. Those attacks only get 2 and 3 mobs respectively.

I would like to see another multi target attack for Rogues with the same cool down as rift disturbance to make us more in line with taunts and attacks for warriors.
    Last edited by Crixus2012; 06-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by stronq View Post
    hey everyone,,

i started playing like a month ago and really like the idee of a riftstalker tank, just the problem is i hear alot of sounds saying it isnt that good for tankin.. my qeustion: is riftstalker anything of a tank on high levels, comparing with a warior tank or is it just to squishy?
    Riftstalkers are awesome tanks. I've main tanked every expert, every raid/expert rift, and 3/5 GSB with one.

The aggro issues are overrated. You run into threat issues only in a couple highly specific situations (e.g. the gauntlet in xDD, the stage 4 zerg in the Expert air rift) because you have limited skills to generate AOE threat. But that's the only drawback.

In exchange, you have the best mitigation vs. magic damage, the best mobility of any tank, and good mitigation vs. physical damage.

The only tank I'd call equally fun is a deep Void Knight build, just because it has so many tools.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Last I heard, Riftstalker tanks take the least damage and have the most passive mitigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    Last I heard, Riftstalker tanks take the least damage and have the most passive mitigation.
    The first statement is true, because most bosses that do spike damage are doing magic damage of some kind (which is passively mitigated by your Rift Guard). The second statement I'm not so sure about, unless you're still talking about magic.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Telaran

Aggro management is easy. Their is this planar item that drops from rifts that do 20% of the damage back to the originator for up to 20000 damage. I pop that and side steps when I shadowblitz/Rift distubance the clump. Also do not forget we do have a 5 mob rift pull that piles them infront of you.

Make sure you have strike back at 100% and no one will pull aggro off you.

Plane Touched

i wouldnt call our mitigation passive....you gotta use 5 cp and use your buffs and keep them up....thats far from passive....

id say, from raid tanking POV, and from asking our healers....us and comparably geared warrior tank take similar amount of damage overall over the length of a boss fight....but we are definately more spikey....healers will always tell you that....yea, dont have to heal you more, but have more spike moments....and with the latest patch, i dont think we are that much better at tanking magic mobs anymore....maybe just a little bit....

Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    The first statement is true, because most bosses that do spike damage are doing magic damage of some kind (which is passively mitigated by your Rift Guard). The second statement I'm not so sure about, unless you're still talking about magic.
    Mitigation as in the absorb+armor. Although a warrior block capped might be beating us since the last patch.
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Telaran

RiftStalker tanking is definitely viable. I've RS tanked every T1 / T2, as well as Expert Rifts. (Yeah, not tanked GSB / Raid Rifts, but soon will.) Once you get the basics of tanking down (if you've never tanked before) the rest is just gear and playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by NeqwportBox View Post
    RiftStalker tanking is definitely viable. I've RS tanked every T1 / T2, as well as Expert Rifts. (Yeah, not tanked GSB / Raid Rifts, but soon will.) Once you get the basics of tanking down (if you've never tanked before) the rest is just gear and playstyle.
    Back at launch, GS required a rogue tank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast