+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is ranger good?...

Soulwalker

Default Is ranger good?...

Other than the pet (razor..) is there any other reason to take ranger? And I noticed that it only goes up to lvl 24...what then? Do you get other pets as you put more points? I did see a cat of some sort but says only lvl 17? I do like the pet companion for soloing but after 24 should I switch to something else?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by renius2009 View Post
    Other than the pet (razor..) is there any other reason to take ranger? And I noticed that it only goes up to lvl 24...what then? Do you get other pets as you put more points? I did see a cat of some sort but says only lvl 17? I do like the pet companion for soloing but after 24 should I switch to something else?
    the lesser pets cap at lvl 30. Greater pets will go to lvl 50. I preferred ranger for majority of quest lvling. Killing at range with nearly no down time. Bd/rs/asn is great for higher mob density or rift trash waves. I'd use both ranger and bd/rs/asn for lvling depending on what you're doing.
    Last edited by kyth; 06-14-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Ascendant

Rangers start with a Razorbeast, then get a wolf, then a Greater Razorbeast, then a Dire-Wolf and finally a Raptor, the last three all go up to 50 so you have a good choice of pets for different situations.

Ranger is a 'good' class if you're looking for easy leveling, though TBH there isn't really a 'hard' class/soul to level but Ranger is certainly on the 'easy' side of 'not hard'.
    Last edited by Kerin; 06-14-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Honestly, I found leveling a druid cleric far, far, far less strenuous or challenging than a ranger. Rangers have the advantages of pet-tank leveling a la a hunter in WoW, but your pet is quite a bit more squishy than a BM hunter so you need to watch its health bar and keep those heals rolling when taking on multiple mobs or a mob with a lot of health.

Plus, mob density in this game for many questing areas is actually pretty high with short respawn rates, so the inherent increased aggro area when using a pet tank (both you and your pet have an aggro radius) can bite you in the butt pretty often if you aren't careful. Also, the ability you get to transfer your aggro to your pet does not work instantaneously and sometimes doesn't work at all and also has a cooldown long enough that you will rarely be able to use it twice in one extended fight. You can also peel second mob aggro off of your pet very easily. Combine that with your lack of self-healing (short of pots) and things can sometimes get pretty dicey. If your pet dies and you don't have a nice avenue of retreat, you probably die too.

So yes, it is "easy" in that your pet is taking most of the damage but the nature of this game combined with limitations of the ranger spec make it much less easy-mode (and ultimately far more interesting) than hunter leveling in WoW. The lack of a feign death get-out-of-jail-free card in Rift makes a big difference.

+ Reply to Thread