Closed Thread

Thread: How do I use a bow?

Soulwalker

Default How do I use a bow?

I literally just started playing rift and I chose a rogue. So far I took the riftstalker and assassin souls. When I started I had 2 daggers and a bow. Now I'm absolutely clueless on how to use the bow.

This is probably the newbiest question ever, but how do I use it?

I tried using the 'swich weapon' button, which is z or c iirc, then I can see he equips the bow on his back, but the moment I target a mob he just takes out the daggers again and stands there doing nothing

Please help a noob out. I played WoW a long time ago and I don't think I struggled like this to use my bow

Rift Disciple

To use your bow, you ned to get the Marksman or Ranger souls which are ranged based skills Then you get skills for your bow or gun. Assassin and Riftstalker are melee based. Riftstalker is also the tank soul for Rogue
    Last edited by Losten79; 06-14-2011 at 05:27 AM.

If you open your skill "window", think it is "P", you will find under one of the tabs your ranged attack ability.
    Drag it down to the quick bar and just press.
    Last edited by ZtriDer; 06-14-2011 at 05:29 AM.
    Lost where no man has been lost before.

Look in your abilities book, in the general tab. There is an option to toggle ranged attack that you can drag onto your action bar.

For a rogue marksman, many of the spells require a bow or gun to be equipped, and you just stand (at range) and cast those spells.

Telaran

As a Riftstalker/Assassin what you're gonna want to do is sneak up on enemies and jab them in the eye with your bow.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by stevovo View Post
    I literally just started playing rift and I chose a rogue. So far I took the riftstalker and assassin souls. When I started I had 2 daggers and a bow. Now I'm absolutely clueless on how to use the bow.

This is probably the newbiest question ever, but how do I use it?

I tried using the 'swich weapon' button, which is z or c iirc, then I can see he equips the bow on his back, but the moment I target a mob he just takes out the daggers again and stands there doing nothing

Please help a noob out. I played WoW a long time ago and I don't think I struggled like this to use my bow
    Hit "P" and open your skills window.

Click on the general tab.

Find the skill called ranged attack, or something similar.

This is just a ranged auto attack and does very little damage, you don't get any bow skills unless you are using the ranger or marksman souls.

Pretty much just for pulling.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the quick info. Will try it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gormundr View Post
    As a Riftstalker/Assassin what you're gonna want to do is sneak up on enemies and jab them in the eye with your bow.
    hehehe, I know it sounds stupid that I want to use a bow with a melee build, but I just wanted to know for knowledge sake.

lol
    "It always sound scarier when a hollerer talk soft."

Oh just great. They've gone and given guns and stuff to rogues now?
    Seastone [Seven Sisters] Guera, 60/87 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 60/73 Kelari Magician; Chula 60/76 Kelari Rogue

Deepwood Rheven 59/50 Kelari Cleric and cast of dozens, other names and places

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by kazama14 View Post
    Hit "P" and open your skills window.

Click on the general tab.

Find the skill called ranged attack, or something similar.

This is just a ranged auto attack and does very little damage, you don't get any bow skills unless you are using the ranger or marksman souls.

Pretty much just for pulling.

Thanks.

It just bugs me if I don't know how to do something and can't figure out why.

EDIT: Is it advisable to take the ranger/marksman skill along with riftstalker & assassin? If so which one is best between the two?
    Last edited by stevovo; 06-14-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Telaran

hehehe, I know it sounds stupid that I want to use a bow with a melee build, but I just wanted to know for knowledge sake.
    I know, it was joke. I make funny. KEKEK.

Thanks.

It just bugs me if I don't know how to do something and can't figure out why.

EDIT: Is it advisable to take the ranger/marksman skill along with riftstalker & assassin? If so which one is best between the two?
    Greatly prefer Ranger to MM. Crippling shot and penetrating shot are great for PVP and PVE.

Assassin + ranger + blade dancer is just about the single deadliest single target build out there and it's very versatile.

The pets do more damage with bleeds which the Assassin provides in spades. Assassins have mad crit rate. Deadly Dance is a rogue staple and the BD also gives an interrupt. Ranged attacks make up for Sin melee-only nature.

Macro Deadly Strike with Head Shot. If you're in melee, you'll proc Deadly Dance. If they slip out to ranged distance, you'll proc a minute long damage buff.

Put Quick/Keen/Precision/etc in a macro with Crippling, Piercing, and Quick Shot at the bottom. Now, you can build CP and debuff while running at your target.

This build is one of the few that's as amazing PVP as it is PVE. When people see you spamming trick shot with a raptor out, they try to close in on the gimpy ranger. You shoot them with Crippling shot, they run slower (great closer too). You put Piercing Shot up, now they're softer. They finally make melee range. You smack them in the face with puncture, and deadly strike, then your Keen hits for 1k, and precision is almost 2k. They never see it coming.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Yes. Get Ranger. You get a flying pig. Win!
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

Soulwalker

I know, it was joke. I make funny. KEKEK.
    Oh, so that explains why it didn't work... hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Fox View Post
    Greatly prefer Ranger to MM. Crippling shot and penetrating shot are great for PVP and PVE.

Assassin + ranger + blade dancer is just about the single deadliest single target build out there and it's very versatile.

The pets do more damage with bleeds which the Assassin provides in spades. Assassins have mad crit rate. Deadly Dance is a rogue staple and the BD also gives an interrupt. Ranged attacks make up for Sin melee-only nature.

Macro Deadly Strike with Head Shot. If you're in melee, you'll proc Deadly Dance. If they slip out to ranged distance, you'll proc a minute long damage buff.

Put Quick/Keen/Precision/etc in a macro with Crippling, Piercing, and Quick Shot at the bottom. Now, you can build CP and debuff while running at your target.

This build is one of the few that's as amazing PVP as it is PVE. When people see you spamming trick shot with a raptor out, they try to close in on the gimpy ranger. You shoot them with Crippling shot, they run slower (great closer too). You put Piercing Shot up, now they're softer. They finally make melee range. You smack them in the face with puncture, and deadly strike, then your Keen hits for 1k, and precision is almost 2k. They never see it coming.
    Thanks for the tips! As I understand it, I can have up to 5 different souls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
    Yes. Get Ranger. You get a flying pig. Win!
    Flying pig!? that sounds... weird

Oh, so that explains why it didn't work... hehehe

Thanks for the tips! As I understand it, I can have up to 5 different souls right?

Flying pig!? that sounds... weird
    There are 9 souls in the game for each calling and you can use 3 at one time.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Closed Thread