+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What will 1.3 do to PvP Rogues

Default What will 1.3 do to PvP Rogues

Rational answers please - looking for reasoned speculation ( as thats all it can be atm ) - All rogues too btw - ppl tend to forget that MM and Ranger are also rogues - also ideas for builds in the new environment
    Last edited by betty; 06-13-2011 at 11:04 PM.

What will 1.3 do to PvP Rogues?

Nothing, as none of our souls are changed.
    Nightblade builds will probably be somewhat better in PVP since crit dmg will be reduced from valor, but that's about it.
    Rank 4 Cleric (Inquisicar) [retired]
    Rank 6 Rogue (Sin, Sab or NB) [retired]
    Retired from Rift due to a lack of PVP content and increasing server instability.

Soulwalker

Default A lot

Well it will do a lot, but nothing devastating.

All the QQ about the increase to Valor which subsequently will hurt Rogue dps is just a bunch of children whinning about how hard they get to hit.

PvP is NOT about being able to "solo" someone, PvP is NOT about being able to dps down a random person. PvP is about orginization strategy and well thought out manuevering. Rogues are amazing in pvp for control factor of stuns, slows, purges, bleeds, stealth, and speed.

If half of these lacking players had any idea how to do half of that correctly they wouldn't have problems in pvp. It is not about spike damage and crtting like mad, its about being able to single out a target very well and turn their power against them, thats what rogues are meant to do.

They didn't intend on having players become to strong so fast, this applied to PvE and PvP. They didn't want people pushing through content this fast, and especially being able to one shot others or solo them easily in PvP.

They are addressing an issue with core game mechanics, not nerfing anyone. If everyone wasn't so obsessed with pulling obsurd numbers this wouldn't be a problem, but everyone wants the biggest Epeen.

Theres your explanation, this is a good fix all around. Yes it will make it harder, but remember when you use to play video games and enjoyed them being hard to play?

Following up on what he said: warriors and mages crit a lot higher than rogues do, so the change in valor will only benefit us.
    Rank 4 Cleric (Inquisicar) [retired]
    Rank 6 Rogue (Sin, Sab or NB) [retired]
    Retired from Rift due to a lack of PVP content and increasing server instability.

Warriors will be even less dangerous, pretty much ignorable.
    DPS Mages will be still dying in a breeze and they will do less damage than now, Dominators will be annoying.
    High Rank Clerics Healers will be tougher, but they can go OOM.
    Ranged Rogues will be still dangerous, Melee Rogues not much.

From a R6 Rogue.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Simply put, PUGs won't be playable anymore (that's my opinion)

You may be the first to join, put big 1's over the heads of the clerics, if they don't focus fire them, they won't die.

I'll be a bit biased because I have to admit that yesterday I raged quit after what I found to be the lamest PvP match I have ever played in any MMO, ever. 20 full minutes in Codex, and the team with the highest amount of kills had 30. So, hmm, that makes one kill every 40 seconds in average. That's long in my own opinion.

I'm not here to QQ, just to point out that those matches are far from being exciting. I'd rather take 2k+ crits and fight and see ssee stuff done rather than see 1 person from each team die every 40 seconds.

That might solve some premade strategy stuff, it might even be fun for them. But remember most people PUG. When PUG is synonym to a lack of organization (even if you mark sometimes >.>), increasing the resistance of everybody to crits and to raw damage will make the games quite boring.

R4 rogue
    Last edited by Sir Sowl; 06-14-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Default A lot will change!

Builds that focus on crit will die.
    Assassin will suffer the most.
    Assisst trains will prevail with a heal debuff bot which is warrior.
    A group without a heal debuff bot and his pocket healer will probably fail.
    Nightblade and Bladedancer will become the new Cookie Cutter due to high sustained dps and not relying on crit to make high dps.
    CC bards will also become quite valuable.

This are my speculations.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by betty View Post
    Rational answers please - looking for reasoned speculation ( as thats all it can be atm ) - All rogues too btw - ppl tend to forget that MM and Ranger are also rogues - also ideas for builds in the new environment
    If you even consider using Ranger in PvP then you're not a serious gamer and you probably won't even notice a difference between now and 1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by DaniWes View Post
    Following up on what he said: warriors and mages crit a lot higher than rogues do, so the change in valor will only benefit us.
    This is utter nonsense and completely backwards in logic. The classes with big crits (mages) and small crits (rogues) will both be getting nerfed, however rogues rely on crits to deal any damage at all, while mages still deal good damage when they don't crit. The crit reduction will affect rogues more than anyone else.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 06-14-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoriv View Post
    Well it will do a lot, but nothing devastating.

All the QQ about the increase to Valor which subsequently will hurt Rogue dps is just a bunch of children whinning about how hard they get to hit.

PvP is NOT about being able to "solo" someone, PvP is NOT about being able to dps down a random person. PvP is about orginization strategy and well thought out manuevering. Rogues are amazing in pvp for control factor of stuns, slows, purges, bleeds, stealth, and speed.

If half of these lacking players had any idea how to do half of that correctly they wouldn't have problems in pvp. It is not about spike damage and crtting like mad, its about being able to single out a target very well and turn their power against them, thats what rogues are meant to do.

They didn't intend on having players become to strong so fast, this applied to PvE and PvP. They didn't want people pushing through content this fast, and especially being able to one shot others or solo them easily in PvP.

They are addressing an issue with core game mechanics, not nerfing anyone. If everyone wasn't so obsessed with pulling obsurd numbers this wouldn't be a problem, but everyone wants the biggest Epeen.

Theres your explanation, this is a good fix all around. Yes it will make it harder, but remember when you use to play video games and enjoyed them being hard to play?
    What you're describing is an RTS. I'm assuming you're from a game like WoW to think of mass PvP as 'skill based'. Zerg PvP (Greater than 5 vs. 5) which basically includes all Warfronts, is merely about a focus macro and utilising AoE CC.

With the ability to macro virtually everything to two or three keys, with a few other clickables (CC's etc) this game is at the very bottom end of skill based. Couple that with a trashy gear reliance system, that rewards attendance over performance and you have a really low-rent MMO.

Your only solid argument for any type of skill could be positioning, which is not hugely important when you're dealing with 8+ PvP.

The potential of two equally geared players to outshine eachother is limited, because the masses don't like games where they can raid for months, only to get stomped out by a fifteen yearold who bought the game three weeks ago. Let's face it, Rift is a filler MMO for those waiting for GW2 or SW:TOR.
    Khameleon - Defiant Rogue - Briarcrest PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomz View Post

The potential of two equally geared players to outshine eachother is limited, because the masses don't like games where they can raid for months, only to get stomped out by a fifteen yearold who bought the game three weeks ago. Let's face it, Rift is a filler MMO for those waiting for GW2 or SW:TOR.
    In it's current state that is definitely true, rift has some potential, but the devs seem to go towards spam spam spam spam.

I can literally remove everything except my spam macro and my finisher macro from my keyboard and still get kills in both WF and world PvP.

They have nerfed the cc immunity so far that everyone at any given time is ALWAYS immune to slows/stuns/snares/silence :\
    Nautix - 50 Mathosian Mage
    Amsira - 50 Mathosian Warrior
    Razvaltina - 42 Dwarf Rogue

The Guardians
    Online Gaming Community
    Sunrest RP-PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladai View Post
    Warriors will be even less dangerous, pretty much ignorable.
    DPS Mages will be still dying in a breeze and they will do less damage than now, Dominators will be annoying.
    High Rank Clerics Healers will be tougher, but they can go OOM.
    Ranged Rogues will be still dangerous, Melee Rogues not much.

From a R6 Rogue.
    This except the melee rogue comment.
    While I'm only p3 I can see how annoying it is to have a 51 Nightblade come in and start debuffing a host of your buddies making it harder to heal. I've noticed that I can be of strong benefit to my team by signing my own death warrant and charging the opposing team to destract them and hopefully be a pita to their healer as my friends come to finish them off. I love NB for this reason, however I hope it does not become the main staple behind rogue pvp. Diversity is key, which is why always seeing a pyro Mage is so annoying, you always feel like you've killed him before.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Telaran

In 1.3 I see a few problems but a few shining points.

The crit nerf hurts all DPS classes. Focus fire will help to alleviate this problem, but Rogues suffer the most because of this.
    Part of good focus firing is timing and quick target switching for opportunistic kills. Rogues have the stupidest mechanic where they must build up points on one target in order to do good burst. Rogues cannot build up points on a target and then switch. Thus rogues are subpar for opportunistic target switching and focus fire.
    The shining point in 1.3 is that we still have eradicate, though chloros will be a ***** to kill now. We may not be DPS in 1.3. We might be buff removers/spell interrupters/mana drainers. I suggest getting to R6 as fast as possible.

Rift Disciple

get to rank 6 then go mana burn build

Telaran

non stealth melee builds will become viable. BD/RS combos will do well. as will anything with fell blades.

anything that relies on crit burst will suffer. a lot. assassins are going to be hurt the most.

low rank characters are getting the short end of the 1.3 stick. now they will do even less damage to geared player with around 6k hp. a geared player is still going to crush a new (to pvp) player with around 4300 hp.

as an assassin i'm not looking forward to this patch. on the other hand i've been wanting to try out a BD heavy build for a while now...
    Guilt 50 Eth rogue
    Reverence 50 High Elf Cleric

I'm thinking it's going to be close to impossible to kill a high prestige warden in 1.3 but all other fights will be more strategic, longer, and imo more fun. If there's any healers in the picture, though, due to DR on CC and the myriad of insta casts which make it impossible to silence ... well, I think it's going to be frustrating to say the least.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast