+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Assault...why behind?

Rift Disciple

Default Shadow Assault...why behind?

I'm playing my RS more as I'm tired of tanking with my warrior. Pre 1.2 Shadow assault (IIRC) projected us towards the mob/target. Now, it shifts us behind? Why?!

Why was this changed? Do we really need two shifts that places us behind a target? I'm speaking from a PvE point of view, the shifting behind tends to be buggy especially when a mob has its back to the wall. Having one of each like it was originally, shadow strike and shadow stalk was perfect for single targeting depending on situation. We now basically have two of the same powers.

Not to mention its disorientating when you're trying to round up mobs and watch your teammates and add... I Get confused when I end up behind a mob (could be my old age, I just turned 39, or maybe I just got used to the old SA).

Was this done to appease assassins? BS is kinda useless if your a tank.... doesn't seem well thought out.

Am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by lolbird View Post
    i can't heal through stupid.

It's one of the semi-non-tank abilities Riftstalkers have (along with Defer Death, as I think of that as a PvP ability). Shadow Shift and Shadow Assault have always shifted you behind the target.

If you're pulling an AoE pack, you'll want to start off using Shadow Blitz, as that's the threat generating tank talent for pulling.
    http://Sunrest-Exiled.com
    Conqueror: Greenscale's Blight | Conqueror: River of Souls | Gilded Prophecy: 4/4 | Hammerknell Fortress: 4/11 | Drowned Halls: 4/4 | Prestige: 6/8

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

It's always been behind. Shadow Blitz attacks from the front.

Rogues do it from behind.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    It's always been behind. Shadow Blitz attacks from the front.
    Not always true.

Shadow Assault will teleport you to the rear of the enemy. If they're facing you, you 180. If they're facing away, you maintain your bearing.

Shadow Blitz will just move you to them, regardless of orientation. If they're facing away, you'll hit them in the back. If they're facing you, you'll him them in the front.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2

Rift Disciple

Hmmm. interesting.

I could have sworn that from beta until 1.1 SA was a frontal shift (edit: you maintained your orientation).

I guess I was wrong.
    Last edited by Saldrin; 06-13-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolbird View Post
    i can't heal through stupid.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Fox View Post
    Not always true.

Shadow Assault will teleport you to the rear of the enemy. If they're facing you, you 180. If they're facing away, you maintain your bearing.

Shadow Blitz will just move you to them, regardless of orientation. If they're facing away, you'll hit them in the back. If they're facing you, you'll him them in the front.
    Thanks for correcting me and then saying the exact thing that I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Thanks for correcting me and then saying the exact thing that I said.
    No, I didn't.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Fox View Post
    Rogues do it from behind.
    The staple of MMO rogues, we do it better from the rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Rift Disciple

Shadow assault has always teleported you behind your target.
    Whitejackale
    <Iconic Fatality>

Soulwalker

he still makes a good point. it is quite buggy...and the port behind is largely useless and disorienting. i am not saying it is not 'handy' particularly for pvp, but as it is buggy as is i would be happy with a straight port that more reliably 'worked'.

obviously my preference would be for ports to not be quite so impacted by elevation shifts as basically anything in the way causes the port to fail. i have had a couple logs on the dungeon floor cause my planar attraction(or shadow assault) to fail multiple times, and that seems unnecessary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lordbeany View Post
    he still makes a good point. it is quite buggy...and the port behind is largely useless and disorienting. i am not saying it is not 'handy' particularly for pvp, but as it is buggy as is i would be happy with a straight port that more reliably 'worked'.

obviously my preference would be for ports to not be quite so impacted by elevation shifts as basically anything in the way causes the port to fail. i have had a couple logs on the dungeon floor cause my planar attraction(or shadow assault) to fail multiple times, and that seems unnecessary to me.
    It's a very important feature. Some bosses/mobs do conal AoEs immediately. Two I can think of off the top of my head are the drakes in RoS and the Psychic chicks in GP. The moment you pull them, they blast a huge range cleave forward that will pretty much kill any clothie. The nice thing about the cheating nature of AI, is that it also faces you instantaneously.

So, as soon as you teleport behind them, they nuke the wall... and not the whole party.
    Last edited by Kayden Fox; 06-14-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2

Shadowlander

It's also helpful in the Anrak fight if you're tanking as a rogue. Tailspike > Shadow Assault. No insta kill for you.

Granted, you oculd always just run through him, shadow shift, or whatever.

Hrmmm I dunno maybe because if you go behind an enemy you're at a more advantageous position? DURR

Telaran

I think the idea behind was probably to compliment Assassins; an assassin does more damage when behind their foe, especially since Backstab only works from behind.

If you think about it there are a lot of ablities that cross-branch better than with the original soul it-self:

A good example would be Smouldering Blades with the Assassin Tree, it has the ability to proc more as it can proc off Serrated blades as well as the rogues melee attacks.
    Last edited by iMohr; 06-15-2011 at 01:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast