+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proposed Riftstalker Tank Build (hear me out)

Default Proposed Riftstalker Tank Build (hear me out)

<a href="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpcV.xItIuqdRkoM.x0z.xcbVo">Riftstalke r (44) / Bard (6) / Bladedancer (16)</a>

Jake's Tank Build (with parentheses!)

This build is a bit unorthodox, as people usually run 51 in Riftstalker.

Points in Bard
    I figure that with points in bard, I not only get the extra health and extra health buff, but a nice armor buff to help with physical damage mitigation. I left out the ability that reduces crit and hit chance on enemies by 3% because with my toughness I don't need reduced crit damage.

I have all the necessary (IMO) abilities from Riftstalker, with a few points in other lame abilities just to get 44, so I can have the AoE taunt/pull. I left out Scatter the Shadows because I think the points are better spent in passives from the Bladedancer tree than a cooldown that isn't even that great of and "OH ****" button.

In Bladedancer, we have, first, passives:
    5% more base dodge chance
    15% more dexterity (1 dex = 1 dodge)
    3% more hit chance (so you don't have to stack hit)
    1% more dodge when target is killed, and 5 energy per combo point (so you aren't starved)
    100% chance to strike back with both weapons on dodge, basically free threat.

Bladedancer Abilities:
    50% dodge chance for 15 seconds (stacks with your base dodge which is high with this build)
    40 more dexterity (hour long combat pose buff, and that's 40 dodge)
    5% dodge chance finisher
    Interrupt/silence for 5 seconds (ranged)
    50% slow attack for mobs that try to get away (like in FoLH)

So I went through and I think this build would be great mitigation as far as dodge goes, give it a look and please send me some feedback!

Thanks,
    Jake
    Last edited by Cheddar Puma; 06-12-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    When life gets you down . . . make a comforter.
    Jake - Sacred Fire - Sunrest

Sorry about the edit thing, the build is here: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...RkoM.x0z.xcbVo

Plane Touched

By not going 51 Riftstalker you lose out on:

3.5% less damage from all sources.

35% maximum absorbtion from Rift Guard (Meaning it has a larger chance of falling off)

7% Endurance.

Also Scatter the Shadows is awesome if you use it well.
    Last edited by Taril; 06-12-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    Sonora - 50 Rogue - 8 Bladedancer/51 Riftstalker/7 Ranger - All round tank build.
    Teralia - 50 Warrior - 22 Reaver/24 Warlord/20 Paladin - A fun to play AoE threat build.
    Karis - 46 Mage - 24 Chloromancer/27 Pyromancer/10 Warlock - A high burst support heal PvP/Solo build.
    Tarille - 50 Cleric - 5 Templar/27 Warden/34 Sentinel - A powerful AoE healing PvP build.

Plane Touched

many threads about this....

your build will be fine for dungeons....

for raids, you will die....."cooldown that isn't even that great of and "OH ****" button".....clearly you dont use it well then

Not to mention that your armor buff is all of 560-something armor...so you aren't really adding anything great as far as DR is concerned.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Raiding-Guide

Here is isomalt's guide, and in his signature are links to his guild forums where he has an up-to-date guide, including BIS list AND parses from multiple raids showing where the most damage is avoided or reduced depending on spec.

Guess what?

It's not in Bard.

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the Ghosts of War...
    GoWning MMO's since 2002

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar Puma View Post
    In Bladedancer, we have, first, passives:
    5% more base dodge chance
    15% more dexterity (1 dex = 1 dodge)
    with t2 rogue tank gear an bladedancer's false blade buff you will be over the dodge cap (20%) ...so much of the dodge you are counting here is wasted...

3% more hit chance (so you don't have to stack hit)
    t2/t3 rogue tank gear does have enough hit.

1% more dodge when target is killed, and 5 energy per combo point (so you aren't starved)
    this will never procc while tanking a boss in a raid or expert instance, and since a mob has to die before getting this buff up you will already recieve less damage due to less mobs hitting you...

100% chance to strike back with both weapons on dodge, basically free threat.
    it gives you very little treat...but yes, its a bonus...an extremely small bonus...not worth the 16 talent points.

50% dodge chance for 15 seconds (stacks with your base dodge which is high with this build)
    this feels like godmode in 5 man expert dungeons but most raid bosses are hard hitters (they hit much slower but much harder). and many encounters do dmg that cant be avoided with dodge like certain special abilities and magical damage. so the 3,5%dmg reduction, the 7%hp and scatter the shadows you los from the riftstalker tree are much better.

40 more dexterity (hour long combat pose buff, and that's 40 dodge)
    5% dodge chance finisher
    again the dodge cap...
    Interrupt/silence for 5 seconds (ranged)
    50% slow attack for mobs that try to get away (like in FoLH)
    only interesting on 5-man expert dungeons when you dont have people who can do these things without wasting 16 talent points because you had bad luck with the dungeon finder tool...
    and if you are lokking for more utility (remember that priorities for tanks in most cases are survival>threat>utility) try to practice more with your teleport abilites and put a skill point in rift prison. or use the range abilities from the ranger soul.

So I went through and I think this build would be great mitigation as far as dodge goes, give it a look and please send me some feedback!
    you will not notice how bad your build is in 5 man expert dungeons because they are just easy and they forgive this kind of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi23 View Post
    it gives you very little treat...but yes, its a bonus...an extremely small bonus...not worth the 16 talent points.
    This is the only thing I disagree with. Strike back is a nice talent for generating threat (and it generates a buttload, very very noticable, even on bosses) and it only costs 7 points in bladedancer to go 2/2 in.

For reference, all 3 "viable" tank builds have been tested and parsed in raids, and the most viable/survivable is RS/Rng/BD. RS/BD/Bard is next, and in dead last place RS/Bard/Rng for total damage mitigated/avoided.

Remember that your tank gear is limited in selection, and you have the stats you are given on your gear. Most of those stats for RS focus around avoidance, not mitigation. If we were meant to be a mitigation tank, we'd have shields and wear plate armor.

We're rogues, this isn't WoW, and straight up EHP isn't what you want to go for. A healthy balance of HP and Avoidance is needed. You are stuck with the mitigation you get via armor and talents, and stacking it as a rogue and putting avoidance at the end just costs you effectiveness.

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the Ghosts of War...
    GoWning MMO's since 2002

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Very interesting spec idea, but I made a few changes that I think will help you. First, I dropped the useless points in bard in favor of Ranger. You lose a little HP but gain mitigation and a ranged pull (90% of groups will already have an armor buff and it doesn't stack). Next, I dropped some of the points you had in BD and moved them into Rifstalker to boost your health and mitigation.

Here's what I came up with, I hope you like it: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...uqdRkkR.xb.x0d
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 06-13-2011 at 05:28 AM.

You all make viable points, I just wish there wasnt a cap on dodge because it's our main avoidance. I would have liked to spec more into bd because so many high level rs abilities are lame. I dislike how you need cookie cutter for raid. Is reprisal necessary and does announce have macros for it.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Remi23 View Post
    with t2 rogue tank gear an bladedancer's false blade buff you will be over the dodge cap (20%) ...so much of the dodge you are counting here is wasted...
    99% sure that False Blade does not count against the cap. Or the talented dodge for that matter.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Telaran

Correct, if that wasnt the case - SideSteps would be capped as well. ;)

As stated before, This'll work in experts, but it won't fly in raids... but really, just about anything works for T2s.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

+ Reply to Thread