+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How's my raid DPS?

Plane Touched

Default How's my raid DPS?

Quick disclaimer:

I play on a non-headstart pvp server with a VERY low population.

My guild is 1/5 in GSB and 1/5 in GP and are second in progression on the server. The most progressed guild is 4/5 in GSB only.

For a little more perspective, I rolled a rogue on a Guardian server and was 1/5 in GSB when my friends from WoW came over and we rerolled Defiant. In other words, when I was level 1 on my new server, people were already downing Greenscale. In addition, I was one of the first 50s on my new server. So you get an idea of how slow our progression is.

At any rate, I want to see how well my numbers are relative to my gear level.

I am currently in full T2 with the exceptions:

I have T1 Helmet
    I have R2 PvP Gloves
    The best trinket options I have are Mastertools and the World Event trinket.

I have a 36.0 bow.

I do, however, have T3(?) dagger from Anrak the Foul in GP.

My stats are:

610 DEX
    334 STR
    594 AP
    178 CRIT

All self buffed in Ranged Saboteur spec.

On target dummy, I'm usually around 850 with this spec.

In bossfights I am usually 850-950.

I have yet to break 1k in an actual single target fight.

I have tried the BD spec and can parse consistently over 1k on the dummy, but even though I usually play damned good and keep as much uptime on the boss as is possible, I can't replicate those numbers--even with raid buffs.

So I'm wondering, how good/bad is my current DPS?

I have no parses to link. It doesn't matter, though. I'm asking a question about how good my DPS is for my gear level--not waving my epeen.

I can parse 1100 with the melee sab build, but I don't want to get used to a mechanic that will be changing (nerfed?) soon.

The concerning part for me is that I'm usually the top or very near the top in DPS. I mean, I enjoy being competitive, but I feel like I should be doing a lot more and that many of my fellow DPSers are underperforming. I also feel that I am underperforming. (aka I feel that with my gear I should be able to break1k)

Can anyone remember their earliest days in raiding in Rift?

How did your numbers compare?

How did the numbers of your raidmembers compare?

I know a lot of you DPS'd GSB pre-1.2, so those numbers may be a little skewed. But if anyone can relate some info about my above questions, I'd really appreciate it.

You should be fine for most, if not all of GSB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    You should be fine for most, if not all of GSB.
    Thanks for the response.

Quick question:

As I have a T3 dagger, should I focus on a melee build? As I said, I haven't noticed an appreciable increase on bosses but it seems a little weird to have my best piece of gear be a stat stick--since I'm ranged.

If you're doing 800+ in pre-raid gear that's pretty good. With more T2 and possibly T3 breaking 1k is good but even then it's still difficult in raid mechanics. If you blunder and die, if you lose range on the boss, if your raid's Cost Reduction goes way due to a Bard or Chloro dying then it can cause energy starvation, etc. Many things can lower your dps in raid situations that once they occur, it's out of your control. Then it's a matter of minimizing them to the best of the raids ability rather then worry about your individual performance. While that includes you, it also includes 9-19 other people as well.
    Rules to Live by<insert ceiling cat here>
    Moar werld content plx!

Quote Originally Posted by Murdertrain View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Quick question:

As I have a T3 dagger, should I focus on a melee build? As I said, I haven't noticed an appreciable increase on bosses but it seems a little weird to have my best piece of gear be a stat stick--since I'm ranged.
    I usually have 2 raid builds, for melee/range each. Sozu's Ranger build is still extremely popular, and updated as of 1.2!

http://unstablerift.com/?q=node/433

Another great build as of 1.2 is the Deadly Sabo (Sab/BD) build going around. There's a lot of info in this thread:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...or-is-intended!

While it's mostly talking about whether it's intended, it has a ton of info outlining the build and rotations.
    Rules to Live by<insert ceiling cat here>
    Moar werld content plx!

You should be doing just fine really, although if you want to be using ranged sabo then there are arguably "better" statstick axes that drop off duke and galenir you can use.

Also, don`t forget the raid consumables.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Raynald View Post
    You should be doing just fine really, although if you want to be using ranged sabo then there are arguably "better" statstick axes that drop off duke and galenir you can use.

Also, don`t forget the raid consumables.

Yep,

I can see a situation where a different weapon would be better based purely on stats, however, there's no way I'd roll against others who would benefit from the DPS increase. But it's a very good point.

And yes, consumables...

I use whetstones (exquisite on MH, fine on OH because I'm not sure if it even helps to have 2 of them.)
    STR/DEX flask
    Icewatch Cupcakes
    Heroic or Legendary DEX scrolls if available. (STR if not)

Am I missing anything?

I try hard to be as prepared as humanly possible for raids. But in a new game it's easy to miss things.

Quick question? Are you going ranged or melee with your sab build? 44sab 20sin 2rng is still best while meleeing due to serrated blades. If you insist on going ranged so be it, but you should be able to milk out a good 100 more dps while meleeing through auto attack damage and serrated blades pre raid buffs.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Shanst View Post
    Quick question? Are you going ranged or melee with your sab build? 44sab 20sin 2rng is still best while meleeing due to serrated blades. If you insist on going ranged so be it, but you should be able to milk out a good 100 more dps while meleeing through auto attack damage and serrated blades pre raid buffs.
    Ya know...

The thought never occurred to me to take advantage of serrated blades.

I had assumed that attacking from range (and using Bow DPS for damage calculation) would be far superior to being in melee range.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing some "start attack" macros in sab threads.

Maybe that's why?

I'll have to test this out.

Be interesting to know that 44/20/2rng would be best used in melee.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdertrain View Post
    Ya know...

The thought never occurred to me to take advantage of serrated blades.

I had assumed that attacking from range (and using Bow DPS for damage calculation) would be far superior to being in melee range.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing some "start attack" macros in sab threads.

Maybe that's why?

I'll have to test this out.

Be interesting to know that 44/20/2rng would be best used in melee.

Thanks for the info.
    The greatest thing about that build is its versatility. Yeah, you do parse higher in melee, but when you have to go ranged, you don't lose much dps until you can get back into melee. I also like the build because i can watch tv while i raid and push 3 buttons :P

44sab parses better in melee range because of Serrated, more poison procs, and higher auto attack DPS. If you have a 33.6 DPS dagger, you will do significantly better melee DPS than range. If you do fight from range, be sure to stand still as much as possible. You don't auto attack while moving at range, and you need auto attacks to keep your poisons proccing.

If you don't want to use the melee Sab/Sin/BD build, I would still recommend getting used to one of the various BD/Sin/NB builds for fights that you need to maximize your single target DPS. Either the 26BD or 32sin variants will outparse your 44sab build on single targets. You can also use a melee ranger build too. Finally, the Sab/Sin/BD build still works on the PTR, and they even added a new buff specifically for when you use charges and Deadly Dance, so I wouldn't expect them to turn around and break the spec before 1.3 goes live. If you want to give it a try, it looks like it will remain a viable options.

Using a +12 whetstone on each weapon works just fine. The dex scrolls don't stack with bard Fanfare, which you should definitely have in a raid.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

850 with ur gear with sab is good, once your party learns how to buff it will go way up (100% uptime of motifs, archon buffs and spotters order is a must). melee builds are hard to master and are only worth it on plutonus where you can gain 350-400dps over sabo, every other fight it's better to stay ranged sabo or move into melee when you can and keep the same build as it is more dps overall and 10x safer.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Champion of Telara

The only reason to go range Sab on non-Plutonus fights is because you suck, or you're severely lacking range DPS for specific mechanics.

Generally melee Sab is the best (26/19/21) for the AOE pew pew pew and incriminate. Of course, it uses DD which is up for change next patch.

RA/BD is also great -- the pet can be good or bad depending on the fight (good for Johlen, difficult for a few others), and the rotation is even simpler than range Sab -- if you're having any issues with attention to mechanics, run this.

Edit: With your progression you won't be able to test Plutonus parses. The only good ST parse you're going to get is probably Johlen -- the other bosses have stop / start / AOE mechanics that will make your DPS harder to assess over the Internet. With your gear, I was hitting 1100-1200 on Johlen with various specs.
    Last edited by EasymodeX; 06-13-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Shanst View Post
    this is not 100% correct unless I am bugged recently as even with the 2pts in ranger, when you are in melee range your skills proc off of your main hand (not your bow as you are too close to fire a ranged attack so it does not use your bows dps in calculations).

if you have a T3 ranged weapon and a T2 main hand, even with the added dmg for serrated blades and such you will incur a dps loss in melee range.

if you have a T3 main hand, and a T2 bow/gun, you will actually have a dps loss if your not in melee and sould likely just use /NB rather than /rng to use your main hand in dmg calculations at all times.

if you have T2 in both slots or T3 in both slots, then the dmg should be very close to each other, with a slight advantage (50dps in my experience) due to serrated blades and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Koga View Post
    this is not 100% correct unless I am bugged recently as even with the 2pts in ranger, when you are in melee range your skills proc off of your main hand (not your bow as you are too close to fire a ranged attack so it does not use your bows dps in calculations).

if you have a T3 ranged weapon and a T2 main hand, even with the added dmg for serrated blades and such you will incur a dps loss in melee range.

if you have a T3 main hand, and a T2 bow/gun, you will actually have a dps loss if your not in melee and sould likely just use /NB rather than /rng to use your main hand in dmg calculations at all times.

if you have T2 in both slots or T3 in both slots, then the dmg should be very close to each other, with a slight advantage (50dps in my experience) due to serrated blades and such.
    tho in general if you are in melee range the game uses your dagger for sab, but on herald, gsb, any dragon it ALWAYS uses the bow since you are never in melee range (though melee hitbox is huge).
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast