+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best STDPS Build?

Soulwalker

Default Best STDPS Build?

Hey. I just got the game and I'm looking for the best single-target dps build for a rogue. I strictly care only about single-target dps (to top charts =D). I did some reading and warriors only seem to have one dps build, the BM/champ/para, but it seems SLI is going to get nerfed in the next patch. As for rogues, I've seen anything from marksmen/ranger to bladedancer/assassin to sabo builds as best dps. I know there is a lot of objectivity in what is the best build, but I just want to get an idea so I know where to look. Parses, builds, and rotations are welcome.
    Last edited by Hkao; 06-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Plane Walker

There is no 1 best spec for every fight. Also MM is never remotely near the top is any decent group. Ranger isn't either. Sabo only is if they are abusing a bug.

full SIN (51SIN/15INF) is the best single target melee DPS build. MM is the range alternative, very high DPS especially at higher levels with improved hit and run any target will die in seconds, i normally manage to take out at least 3 by the time the effect wears off.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by PORTERR View Post
    full SIN (51SIN/15INF) is the best single target melee DPS build. MM is the range alternative, very high DPS especially at higher levels with improved hit and run any target will die in seconds, i normally manage to take out at least 3 by the time the effect wears off.
    Pretty sure he is talking about pve.

Quote Originally Posted by `xell View Post
    Pretty sure he is talking about pve.
    Well he clearly didn't specify but in his case pve build would probably be the levelling bulds therefore i assumed he was talking about PvP.

Anyways if your looking for a best way to lvl then use this guide, it's pretty simple especially good for new players.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbhQPQ0Lrk4

Quote Originally Posted by PORTERR View Post
    By the mere mention of meters, he's clearly not talking about PvP.

As for best spec, it depends on fight, and with rogue there is no stand out leader, played well there are a handful of specs that are respectively close. The two front runners are SaboDancer and Sozu's Ranger builds. The BladedancerSin spec is also pretty respectable, if not insanely boring to play, as it's literally a 1 button spam macro.

The ranger spec will excel in fights where melee needs to do a lot of running out, like Hylas, when the melee oriented SaboDancer will suffer a hit in dps. But conversely Ranger will suffer having to drop fresh pedestals during GS if they keep getting plants tossed under them, while melee just switches sides and continues to lay into GS. Oh, and the obvious one, Ranger really blows on Warmaster since you need to stack on his ***.

Soulwalker

The melee sab build loses very little dps on jousting fights. You only NEED to melee for two gcds then you can run out if needed. Of course staying in for the white damage is always better.

In my personal experience, the ranged sab build out parses the ranger build but I would imagine with proper buff circulation sozus would come out ahead on ST.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Samanosuke View Post
    As for best spec, it depends on fight, and with rogue there is no stand out leader, played well there are a handful of specs that are respectively close. The two front runners are SaboDancer and Sozu's Ranger builds. The BladedancerSin spec is also pretty respectable, if not insanely boring to play, as it's literally a 1 button spam macro.
    That ranger spec doesn't really do that much, just respectable. Sin/bd/nb done right actually has the most complicated(non-boring) rotation but also most rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeragon View Post
    The melee sab build loses very little dps on jousting fights. You only NEED to melee for two gcds then you can run out if needed. Of course staying in for the white damage is always better.

In my personal experience, the ranged sab build out parses the ranger build but I would imagine with proper buff circulation sozus would come out ahead on ST.
    Probably something I should of noted, Sozu's is more of a raid spec than 5man, since they double dip in buffs with the pet. It comes out far superior than the standard 44 melee or ranged sabo, and about equal or just behind SaboDancer, but that spec is getting fixed in 1.3.
    That ranger spec doesn't really do that much, just respectable. Sin/bd/nb done right actually has the most complicated(non-boring) rotation but also most rewarding.
    It may be anecdotal evidence, but 1.4k dps on Greenscale is more than respectable. And I'm barely even in really any t3 gear, just my Saga gun. I do a little bit more in sabodancer, but that's due to having to move around a fair bit as ranger.

Plane Walker

Probably something I should of noted, Sozu's is more of a raid spec than 5man, since they double dip in buffs with the pet. It comes out far superior than the standard 44 melee or ranged sabo, and about equal or just behind SaboDancer, but that spec is getting fixed in 1.3.

It may be anecdotal evidence, but 1.4k dps on Greenscale is more than respectable. And I'm barely even in really any t3 gear, just my Saga gun. I do a little bit more in sabodancer, but that's due to having to move around a fair bit as ranger.
    You listed it as a front runner. In the majority of fights it falls quite a bit behind melee specs. It is solid damage with an easy rotation but it doesn't quite top the charts. Just respectable.

There is no 1 best spec for every fight. Also MM is never remotely near the top is any decent group. Ranger isn't either. Sabo only is if they are abusing a bug.
    Bug? A bug implies it's not meant to work that way.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mav986 View Post
    Bug? A bug implies it's not meant to work that way.
    Which is the case, and something they are fixing with 1.3

Shield of Telara

ya they are fixing to work in almost an identical way...the change is very minor and I doubt will effect the effectiveness of the build much.

Soulwalker

I am aware you are mentioning raids. I still do more in the ranged sab build than in the sozu ranger build. By buffs I was referring to the energy regen cooldown bards use that allow you to use hit and run.

While the pet does scale well, there are so many situations where the pet can easily die that you generally have to replace it a lot. It is a great build but I have yet to see it pass the sab build and personally feel it is not as reliable.

Listing Sozu's build as a front runner is a misleading statement. It is amongst the top ranged builds but many melee builds are capable of beating it easily.

Sabdancer is getting changed in 1.3 but barely nerfed at all. The charges are intended to get the full buff from the deadly strike buff. They were not intended not to consume any charges, which they are addressing in 1.3. The raw damage of the spec is going largely unaffected as I believe only puncture will lose the buff unless I am mistaken which is entirely possible.
    Last edited by Jeragon; 06-11-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Rift Master

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...xsbVzbM.Vi0A0s

Assassin 32 / Bladedancer 24 / Nightblade 10

Any views on this build for PvE?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast