+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nightblade in PvE

Soulwalker

Default Nightblade in PvE

Let me begin by saying I'm aware that it's unlikely that a Nightblade based spec will be competitive for top dps in raids, or anything like that, without some significant rogue changes.

What I'm interested in is figuring out how to make heavy Nightblade as good as it can be for PvE.
    To be clear, when I say "heavy nightblade" I mean At least 30 points in the soul, probably more like 40, such that your Nightblade abilities become the focus of your rotation.

Here are some things I find interesting about Nightblade:

Non-physical damage, bypassing armor with a melee soul.
    Lingering Flame gives passive damage and free combo points for more frequent finishers.
    Potential for continuing to sustain dps when forced to move out of melee range.
    Good AOE potential (right)

Things to not like about Nightblade:

-Does have a lot of combo point building options: dusk strike and twilight force have an 8sec (talented) cooldown, and besides that, you're spamming primal strike, or other physical abilities from other souls.
    -Doesn't play nice with Bladedancer: Hiving to use Deadly Strike means not getting free fierya spikes, and Blade Tempo only increases physical damage.
    -Abilities after 20 in the root of the soul tree seem entirely pvp focused.

Questions I have about Nightblade:
    Does Heat retention increase the damage of weapon enchantments and Primal Death, or just "attacks" you have to push a button for?
    Does Heat retention apply both the 10% and the 30% buff if the finisher you use to clear it is non-physical?
    Is Scourge of Darkness really a dps increase over Blazing Strike? Does it remove heat retention if I have a full stack, and if so is the additional damage to weapon attacks affected by it?

I'm currently thinking that after setting up fiery spike, a rotation like

(auto FS), puncture, primal, primal, Blazing Strike (with Heat Retention now at 4 stacks)
    (auto FS), Dusk Strike, Twilight Force, primal, Blazing Strike

would be good, because it uses DS and TF only when Heat Retention is at 5 stacks, and allows for the most frequent casting of finishers, with only 3 GCD abilities in between. Spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...b.V.iItRhqgMoc

But maybe I'm overestimating the downsides of going for Deadly Dance, and something like

(auto FS), puncture, primal, KS, Deadly Strike
    Precision Strike, Dusk Strike, Twilight Force, Blazing Strike

is possible without losing the FS dot. Spec?: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...f0u.iItRhqgMoc

Anyone have thoughts / answers to questions / theorycraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandaburn View Post
    Let me begin by saying I'm aware that it's unlikely that a Nightblade based spec will be competitive for top dps in raids, or anything like that, without some significant rogue changes.

What I'm interested in is figuring out how to make heavy Nightblade as good as it can be for PvE.
    To be clear, when I say "heavy nightblade" I mean At least 30 points in the soul, probably more like 40, such that your Nightblade abilities become the focus of your rotation.

Here are some things I find interesting about Nightblade:

Non-physical damage, bypassing armor with a melee soul.
    Lingering Flame gives passive damage and free combo points for more frequent finishers.
    Potential for continuing to sustain dps when forced to move out of melee range.
    Good AOE potential (right)

Things to not like about Nightblade:

-Does have a lot of combo point building options: dusk strike and twilight force have an 8sec (talented) cooldown, and besides that, you're spamming primal strike, or other physical abilities from other souls.
    -Doesn't play nice with Bladedancer: Hiving to use Deadly Strike means not getting free fierya spikes, and Blade Tempo only increases physical damage.
    -Abilities after 20 in the root of the soul tree seem entirely pvp focused.

Does Heat retention increase the damage of weapon enchantments and Primal Death, or just "attacks" you have to push a button for?
    Does Heat retention apply both the 10% and the 30% buff if the finisher you use to clear it is non-physical?
    Is Scourge of Darkness really a dps increase over Blazing Strike? Does it remove heat retention if I have a full stack, and if so is the additional damage to weapon attacks affected by it?

I'm currently thinking that after setting up fiery spike, a rotation like

(auto FS), puncture, primal, primal, Blazing Strike (with Heat Retention now at 4 stacks)
    (auto FS), Dusk Strike, Twilight Force, primal, Blazing Strike

would be good, because it uses DS and TF only when Heat Retention is at 5 stacks, and allows for the most frequent casting of finishers, with only 3 GCD abilities in between. Spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...b.V.iItRhqgMoc

But maybe I'm overestimating the downsides of going for Deadly Dance, and something like

(auto FS), puncture, primal, KS, Deadly Strike
    Precision Strike, Dusk Strike, Twilight Force, Blazing Strike

is possible without losing the FS dot. Spec?: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...f0u.iItRhqgMoc

Anyone have thoughts / answers to questions / theorycraft?
    Theoretically, you could keep FS up, but unless you have Fervor on you, I doubt it. However, you'd definitely want to do:
    something, something, something, something, something, Deadly Strike
    Puncture, KS, precision, blazing. Puncture and Precision will get a lot more benefit out of DD than dusk and twilight.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pandaburn View Post
    Does Heat retention increase the damage of weapon enchantments and Primal Death, or just "attacks" you have to push a button for? Button Push only.
    Does Heat retention apply both the 10% and the 30% buff if the finisher you use to clear it is non-physical? Nope. 30%.
    Is Scourge of Darkness really a dps increase over Blazing Strike? Does it remove heat retention if I have a full stack, and if so is the additional damage to weapon attacks affected by it? Yes. Yes. Yes.
    I love Nightblade. I ran it for a long time. But they absolutely destroyed it in 1.2 or whatever patch it was that made Bladedancer the unstoppable demigod of damage. Nightblade is very very far behind it. Any time I try to come up with a "Nightblade" spec, I pull more and more points out of Nightblade into sin/bd that I'm left with wondering why even bother?

Here's the last Nightblade spec I used, but you can see its barely NB anymore: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0VRcxob.VV0V0s and it still won't compete with a BD-centric build.

I personally enjoy Nightblade, there are alot of builds you can go for. Maybe try something different, it's like you said you won't get huge dps in raids and such but here are a couple builds that i enjoy.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...wAAym5oEw/t9G4

I'm a big fan of Riftstalker healing, and Final Blow as a finisher does pretty good damange since it has a 30% bounce.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...EE/w994sk/t9G4

Nothing fancy or anything but isn't bad

Just experiment with what you like
    It's not winning that counts.
    It's making sure everyone else loses

+ Reply to Thread