+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue Balance In Game

Soulwalker

Default Rogue Balance In Game

I have been playing D&D type games since board games come out and that is as far as my age as I want to remember. I have been fairly happy with classes of all the games I have played and if I was not at least it was not so bad I could not adjust. However, with Rift I seem to keep having issues with certain aspects of the game.

1. Tanks should not have to worry about holding agro by DPS. The only thing in a tanks mind should be agro. His skill and gear should allow that to happen so rest of the group or raid does not get slammed.

2. Mages should BURN stuff to the ground with lots of DPS in AOE form. They should have some hard hitting single targets as well. I do not believe mages should resurrect players or heal however that comes from my long history in D&D. If you wish to make a game they can do that then I guess I can deal with it.

3. Healers should heal and not tank or run top of the parse. I just find that out of line but once again I can deal with it.

4. Rogues is what I am having a hard time dealing with. I love playing a rogue type class. The way it should be is NO ONE and I mean NO ONE should out parse a Rogue on SINGLE target dps. That is the way they were created in board games and all other games. I dont care about the AOE dps that much. Ranger should BURN stuff down with ranged damage Single target ( again not better than a Rogue) and AOE. I dont care about the tanking aspect of a Rogue, you can do away with for my two cents. Saboteur I could not say anything on this type and the rest of the Rogue souls as a single intity but I do use some of them to help what soul I wish to play.

Dont jump in my poo poo. I know what is being played and I know the passion of some that like to play the things I dont agree with in the game. However I am not by myself in this thought. If you wish to have all the classes doing what they do now that is cool. You do however need to address the lack of dps ability of the Rogue Assassin and Rangers IN MY OPINION. Bring them up to where they should be and I would be happy camper for me and everyone else. Even those that like to play hybrid classes. Yes Hybrids.

Swifty

4. Rogues is what I am having a hard time dealing with. I love playing a rogue type class. The way it should be is NO ONE and I mean NO ONE should out parse a Rogue on SINGLE target dps. That is the way they were created in board games and all other games
    No offense, but I find this line of thinking both ignorant and pedantic.

Choosing to play a Rogue should not entitle you to top single target damage.

There are other classes, they all should be balanced as closely as possible.

Rift Disciple

lol

rogue's never had "highest dps" in game.

if you think WOW - i'm sure arcane mage/fire mage, also warriors and hunters can easily TOP the dps on a single target.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vaeranth View Post
    No offense, but I find this line of thinking both ignorant and pedantic.

Choosing to play a Rogue should not entitle you to top single target damage.

There are other classes, they all should be balanced as closely as possible.
    While I could be inclined to agree, the OPs statement does bring up the old "hybrid argument" which is hardly a done-and-over-with issue.

But at the end of the day, all of this theorycrafting has minimal effect in-game. The best player, with the better gear will generally find him/herself at the top no matter the class.

@stage9

Back in Vanilla, if a combat rogue wasn't topping the meters he/she was doing it wrong. Nowadays you may be right.

Rift Chaser

If you had truly played D&D the correct way, you would know that it all came down to how you built your character with each class, just like in this game. Warriors could be offensive or defensive. Clerics could pretty much do anything depending on spell selection, damage/heal/buffs/utility. Mages were utility just as much as they could be offense. Rogues also had lots of utility, and certainly weren't the best single target dps, unless they were attacking something from an advantage. D&D was about making your character, not some copy and pasted mold, which is how you seem to judge things.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrower View Post
    If you had truly played D&D the correct way, you would know that it all came down to how you built your character with each class, just like in this game. Warriors could be offensive or defensive. Clerics could pretty much do anything depending on spell selection, damage/heal/buffs/utility. Mages were utility just as much as they could be offense. Rogues also had lots of utility, and certainly weren't the best single target dps, unless they were attacking something from an advantage. D&D was about making your character, not some copy and pasted mold, which is how you seem to judge things.
    This^

In traditional D&D (not DDO), it's more about strategy than min/maxing.

D&D combat heavily relies on using terrain, environment, and positioning to gain a huge advantage in combat. Tactics often make or break an encounter.

+ Reply to Thread