+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pet Tanking + Elites

Soulwalker

Default Pet Tanking + Elites

Simple question:

Is my pet supposed to get instantly killed when fighting an elite regardless if the pet is at full HP or not?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Azuralynn View Post
    Simple question:

Is my pet supposed to get instantly killed when fighting an elite regardless if the pet is at full HP or not?
    Are you a warrior? the starter cat is **** until you are high enough level to get the greater cat

Soulwalker

I figured posting in the Rogue forum would...

I'm using a Greater Razorbeast.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Azuralynn View Post
    I figured posting in the Rogue forum would...

I'm using a Greater Razorbeast.
    Im not a great fan of pet using but when i did go ranger, the greater razor beast was one tough cookie.

Hell even the small razor beast is awesome...you need to put points in the talents that make the pet better. And heal it constantly. Then it can tank for a while, but it will die in the end.
    Unless they nerfed the pet in the last patch...i haven't played ranger in a while
    Last edited by Leirogreco; 06-10-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Leirogreco View Post
    Im not a great fan of pet using but when i did go ranger, the greater razor beast was one tough cookie.

Hell even the small razor beast is awesome...you need to put points in the talents that make the pet better. And heal it constantly. Then it can tank for a while, but it will die in the end.
    Unless they nerfed the pet in the last patch...i haven't played ranger in a while
    That still doesn't explain it going from 90% HP to 0% in half a second. =/

its not a WoW hunter if thats what u mean. no extreme soloing in this game

While the Razor Beast is a very decent tank for standard mobs (fast at mobs and quite good threat generation) it lacks the defense to withstand hard hitting mobs. And you lack the healing to counter it.

When I leveld my first rogue a while back I kept a Ranger/low Bard specc for rift stage 5 anyway. You need some kiting if possible and most of the time a fresh pet midfight (Hasten Call) but then it's quite doable.

It's absolutely not as outstanding as Chloro/Ele for that single matter but it should work with a little practice.
    Last edited by Elerina; 06-10-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Doing the elite giants quest in Stonefield (which was about level 22-23 as I recall) and even grouped with another player (think it was a mage), I was healing the razorbeast as soon as the CD was up as much as possible and the pet still died 2 times out of 5. I could not imagine keeping it alive if I had soloed those mobs. Will it be more effective once I get the greater? I have no idea.

Even on non-elites, I still have to heal it pretty often if chain pulling or fighting a mob with lots of hp. They definitely require more TLC than a deep WoW BM tanking pet would while leveling.

Rift Disciple

The elites in stonefield do pretty much damage, it's not that the pet is weak, it's that some elite in Rift are strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffle View Post
    Doing the elite giants quest in Stonefield (which was about level 22-23 as I recall) and even grouped with another player (think it was a mage), I was healing the razorbeast as soon as the CD was up as much as possible and the pet still died 2 times out of 5. I could not imagine keeping it alive if I had soloed those mobs. Will it be more effective once I get the greater? I have no idea.

Even on non-elites, I still have to heal it pretty often if chain pulling or fighting a mob with lots of hp. They definitely require more TLC than a deep WoW BM tanking pet would while leveling.
    The greater is a little tougher but you should get used to spamming your hot. And for most elites, it's actually better to just kite them (if not cc immune that is). Make sure the path is clear and you'll be fine, since ranged rogues can kite like nothing else.

+ Reply to Thread