+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue Melee Leveling Spec for a pvp server?

Default Rogue Melee Leveling Spec for a pvp server?

Ok so I am returning after a few month break due to real life and decided to start up a rogue instead of hopping back on my old toon.

I want to level melee and know through reading the forums that at least 13 points in RS is valuable for the healing. But now I have a few other things to worry about.

Its a pvp server so I am guessing NB/Assassin is going to be important for stealth

I should also worry some about ranged attacks in case I get kited (which the NB could fill as well)

So should I focus on a NB heavy build with RS and a random third soul or should I focus on Assassin and RS since assassin has perma stealth?

anyone have any input?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Bullvinne View Post
    anyone have any input?
    I've actually used both on my rogue and to be honest it's very dependent on your playstyle.

The permastealth on the assassin with slipaway is very useful in that you really limit the amount of times you get into unwanted battles with NPC mobs, which is eternally useful for PVE. On top of that, you get the added benefit of being able to slip away if someone gets the jump on you. PVP wise as well, a well-executed assassin opener can comepletely faceroll another class. Especially an unsuspecting mage.

The flip side is that a lot of people tend to play warrior/cleric and the physical-only damage of the assassin tends to be a bit underpowered. Also, NB gets a healing-reduction weapon buff which is unreasonably helpful vs pesky healing types. NB, I've found for my playstyle, is far superior to assassin.

You have to decide what's important for you. Generally I used assassin in low-probability PVP areas and the NB for areas where I thought some smart guy may try to gank me.

Hope that helps.

Yea I have been looking and I think I am going primarily Nightblade with Riftstalker up to 13 or so points and 0 points in BD for the dodge buff.

Soulwalker

It's nice to have more points in riftstalker to allow you to get more phase shifting abilities. With 16 you get shadow assault, and shadow stalk on top of your shadow shift, which means that when used in a rotating cooldown, it's pretty easy to keep up your damage shield and critical strike buff for most of a fight, which seriously adds to your survivability and dps.

edit: it also gives you much more ability to close the melee gap if someone snares/knockbacks and trys to kite you.
    Last edited by Axim; 06-09-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axim View Post
    It's nice to have more points in riftstalker to allow you to get more phase shifting abilities. With 16 you get shadow assault, and shadow stalk on top of your shadow shift, which means that when used in a rotating cooldown, it's pretty easy to keep up your damage shield and critical strike buff for most of a fight, which seriously adds to your survivability and dps.

edit: it also gives you much more ability to close the melee gap if someone snares/knockbacks and trys to kite you.
    Yea I was looking and 21 points into RS seems like a sweetspot lol.

Ascendant

when i was leveling, I had the most fun with more rift than asn for the teleporting good times

Ok so I think I like the idea of 32 points in RS for all the teleporting fun-ness. How is this build for leveling?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ooo.V0xIhabRkz

The goal will be to get 13 points in RS immediately for the healing off combo points then focusing on NB a bit.

The only issue is I dont know how best to place the 34 points into NB effectively.
    Last edited by Bullvinne; 06-09-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Soulwalker

Yeah to be honest I found that in the early levels, getting the increase to combo building damage and to finisher damage was a lot more helpful than the survival buffs of RS. I switched over to RS around level 14. Again, it's all playstyle related. I still advocate giving Assassin a try because you may find that you just enjoy it more. I definitely prefer it for level grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullvinne View Post
    Ok so I think I like the idea of 32 points in RS for all the teleporting fun-ness. How is this build for leveling?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ooo.V0xIhabRkz

The goal will be to get 13 points in RS immediately for the healing off combo points then focusing on NB a bit.

The only issue is I dont know how best to place the 34 points into NB effectively.
    Personally I had alot better luck with bd/rs...specially with the changes to deadly strike low in the tree...the bd/asn/rs leveling spec is a non stop killing machine.Stealth is overrated.

Champion of Telara

Assassin/Bladedancer/Sab.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0ARftobodbo.V

While leveling put all your points in assassin to get the 32 pts. You'll get all your damage adds from assassin, stealth and CC, and also a slip away for when you get in trouble. Slip away is great on a PvP server in case someone tries to gank you, or also when you get in trouble with mobs.

Put the rest of your points into bladedancer as you level. When leveling use the savage strike and final blow until you are able to get 16 points into blade dancer. For deadly dance, and +15% dex(mid 30's). Then move over into the keen strike->Deadly Strike with quick and precision in it. Once you get the +15% dex out of bladedancer, fill in the 5pts in sab for the +15%. Then finish up filling out bladedancer to 50.

In PvE, side steps is not only a great defensive tool, it's also a huge DPS boost. The highest DPS burst in game for a rogue. Once you get more bladedancer talents, you'll be wanting mobs hitting on you, because it will increase your dps. And it's great against melee gankers(other rogues).

I used this spec for PvP and PvE while leveling and pretty much kicked the crap outta everything. Just be sure to bring some waters to drink, because you won't have the healing luxury of RS. However, I think it's well worth the tradeoff for a few gold in waters compared to the speed in which you will kill other mobs.

Also, when you come up on 2 mobs, you can sap one, kill the other. Then apply your charges on the sapped mob and detonate and start with half heatlh. That will keep your bar pretty high most of the time, but when you get more in BD, you'll probably be like me and as long as it's melee have it hitting on you.

Soulwalker

Interesting spec, and it seems to be along the lines of what I have been looking for. Is there any chance you could post your rotation, and any macros that you use?

edit: nvm wrong thread lol
    Last edited by Bullvinne; 06-11-2011 at 05:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread