+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: The Sindancer - PvP Build

  1. #1
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,665

    Default The Sindancer - PvP Build

    You can find this and other rogue analysis and writeups on my blog at dunsparrow.com

    Never much for cookie cutter specs, I worked out an Assassin/Bladedancer hybrid that is a blast to play in Warfronts. The spec is 32 Assassin / 21 Bladedancer / 13 Infiltrator.

    What it offers (compared to 51 assassin, its closest relative):

    Blade Tempo - Offensive Cooldown
    Side Steps - Defensive Cooldown
    Weapon Barrage - Spell Interrupt
    Flash of Steel - Gap Closer
    Sprint - Gap Closer
    Group 40 Dex buff
    Better energy efficiency

    What it lacks (compared to 51 sin):

    Serpent Strike
    Anathema

    I'm not counting things like Poison Gas and Hidden Veil because (to me) those are gimmicky at best.

    This spec offers far more versatility than full Assassin and is much hardier when caught out of stealth (something 51 Assassin fails at horribly). It also has significantly more cooldowns and has the potential to beat any class, though like most builds it struggles against high-rank clerics.

    Macros Used

    2 CP
    cast Puncture
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

    1 CP
    cast Backstab
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

    Generally speaking, the goal is to get Jagged Strike and Impale ticking, then start pumping out Deadly Strikes for bigger hits. Never use Final Blow. Sindancer lends itself to various playstyles and strategies, and because of that I'll describe what I do in various situations.

    Maximum Damage Combo
    If you're trying to kill a necro/lock or cleric, your best bet is to pump out the most damage possible, using all your cooldowns. Your biggest advantage here is that they won't take you seriously because you're a rogue, so you can usually get all your DoTs up before they freak out.

    Open with Jagged Strike > Puncture > Blade Tempo/Trinket > Impale and then get 5 combo points as quickly as possible, interrupting any heal being cast during this time and they should be hurting a bit.
    As soon as you get 5 Combo points:
    Deadly Strike > Slip Away > Assassinate
    This deadly dance-powered Assassinate should hit almost anyone for well over 2k damage and if they are below 500 valor it can go upwards of 2500 with Blade Tempo and trinket active. If they're still alive, follow with Foul Play/Backstab and dump down to 0 energy. If they manage to heal through that, you gave it your best shot, but now you're dead.

    DoT-Cheesing Non-Healers
    You can do this as 51 Sin also.

    Open with Jagged Strike> Puncture > Impale then Slip Away and immediately start spamming them with Expose Weakness. This will add damage to your DoTs, but more importantly, it will force them to stay in combat so they can't drink. Once your DoTs expire, reopen and even an 800 valor warrior will be below 50%.

    You can also use this Expose-spam technique to prevent rogues from stealthing if you're not ready to engage them yet (like if his friends are hanging around at Vault). He'll stay unstealthed and when the time is right, you get the opener.

    vs. Marksman
    This is actually fairly challenging if they have high valor.

    Open with Jagged Strike and immediately Foul Play to give yourself time to Puncture and Impale. Don't snare. You'll need it later and he's about to break it with On The Double.

    If he pops Improved Hit and Run, you need to either Side Steps or Slip Away.

    If he gets to range on you, you need to use Flash of Steel or Sprint, but don't use FoS while his OTD is up or you'll waste it on his immunity.

    Hope you find this useful. I find it to be a fun and unique break from the 51 sin cookie-cutter. Good hunting!

  2. #2
    Rift Master Yoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    669

    Default

    you have zero range attack with this build.
    tried it myself but i ended up with 28 bd 20 inf 18 nb. more survivability and range stuff.

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser Lothair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Trippin' the Rift
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    You can find this and other rogue analysis and writeups on my blog at dunsparrow.com

    Never much for cookie cutter specs, I worked out an Assassin/Bladedancer hybrid that is a blast to play in Warfronts. The spec is 32 Assassin / 21 Bladedancer / 13 Infiltrator.

    What it offers (compared to 51 assassin, its closest relative):

    Blade Tempo - Offensive Cooldown
    Side Steps - Defensive Cooldown
    Weapon Barrage - Spell Interrupt
    Flash of Steel - Gap Closer
    Sprint - Gap Closer
    Group 40 Dex buff
    Better energy efficiency

    What it lacks (compared to 51 sin):

    Serpent Strike
    Anathema

    I'm not counting things like Poison Gas and Hidden Veil because (to me) those are gimmicky at best.

    This spec offers far more versatility than full Assassin and is much hardier when caught out of stealth (something 51 Assassin fails at horribly). It also has significantly more cooldowns and has the potential to beat any class, though like most builds it struggles against high-rank clerics.

    Macros Used

    2 CP
    cast Puncture
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

    1 CP
    cast Backstab
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

    Generally speaking, the goal is to get Jagged Strike and Impale ticking, then start pumping out Deadly Strikes for bigger hits. Never use Final Blow. Sindancer lends itself to various playstyles and strategies, and because of that I'll describe what I do in various situations.

    Maximum Damage Combo
    If you're trying to kill a necro/lock or cleric, your best bet is to pump out the most damage possible, using all your cooldowns. Your biggest advantage here is that they won't take you seriously because you're a rogue, so you can usually get all your DoTs up before they freak out.

    Open with Jagged Strike > Puncture > Blade Tempo/Trinket > Impale and then get 5 combo points as quickly as possible, interrupting any heal being cast during this time and they should be hurting a bit.
    As soon as you get 5 Combo points:
    Deadly Strike > Slip Away > Assassinate
    This deadly dance-powered Assassinate should hit almost anyone for well over 2k damage and if they are below 500 valor it can go upwards of 2500 with Blade Tempo and trinket active. If they're still alive, follow with Foul Play/Backstab and dump down to 0 energy. If they manage to heal through that, you gave it your best shot, but now you're dead.

    DoT-Cheesing Non-Healers
    You can do this as 51 Sin also.

    Open with Jagged Strike> Puncture > Impale then Slip Away and immediately start spamming them with Expose Weakness. This will add damage to your DoTs, but more importantly, it will force them to stay in combat so they can't drink. Once your DoTs expire, reopen and even an 800 valor warrior will be below 50%.

    You can also use this Expose-spam technique to prevent rogues from stealthing if you're not ready to engage them yet (like if his friends are hanging around at Vault). He'll stay unstealthed and when the time is right, you get the opener.

    vs. Marksman
    This is actually fairly challenging if they have high valor.

    Open with Jagged Strike and immediately Foul Play to give yourself time to Puncture and Impale. Don't snare. You'll need it later and he's about to break it with On The Double.

    If he pops Improved Hit and Run, you need to either Side Steps or Slip Away.

    If he gets to range on you, you need to use Flash of Steel or Sprint, but don't use FoS while his OTD is up or you'll waste it on his immunity.

    Hope you find this useful. I find it to be a fun and unique break from the 51 sin cookie-cutter. Good hunting!
    You're playing with my spec here, and it's a lot of fun on a 2m cooldown. Other than that, you're probably better off with a 51 Assassin. Yoma is right, the lack of ranged abilities is going to hurt if you don't kill people in your initial burst. I've lost many fights to ranged classes that got away from my initial attack.

  4. #4
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    You're playing with my spec here, and it's a lot of fun on a 2m cooldown. Other than that, you're probably better off with a 51 Assassin. Yoma is right, the lack of ranged abilities is going to hurt if you don't kill people in your initial burst. I've lost many fights to ranged classes that got away from my initial attack.
    Thats what Flash of Steel and Sprint are for.

  5. #5
    Rift Master Yoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    669

    Default

    yes and i dont wanna make your build looking bad.
    i just feel helpless while catching up any kiter and nothing happens dps wise until i reach it.
    i wanna be able to deal damage every second.

  6. #6
    Telaran Eradicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    53

    Default

    The build im currently loving is similar, 32/21/13 tho the 13 being put into NB for the combo pt dmg increase, finisher dmg increase and the ranged finisher with ranged snare 1 pt in the snare part for 30%, not alot but it helps. Plus having the charge on a 15 second CD is nice, come up when i need it most always.

    Usually the only things that get me are good clerics and very good 51 sins

    Have yet to be kited successfully except by a select few players i knwo to be top notch.
    Last edited by Eradicon; 06-09-2011 at 07:18 AM.

  7. #7
    Champion Vaeranth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post

    I'm not counting things like Poison Gas and Hidden Veil because (to me) those are gimmicky at best.
    I've always like Poison Gas Cloud for many reasons, but last night there was a guy named Reckless from our server that was pro as **** with it.

    Twice in one codex he broke my opener on another target with it by blinding me while I was stealthed (I guess he saw me glimmer in stealth), and twice time he blinded me directly after slip away so I couldn't get a reopener (apparently since it doesn't deal damage, you aren't immune to its effect).

    I was like "yeah, I gotta learn to use this better..."

    That being said, I don't view it as gimmicky at all.

  8. #8
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Hidden Veil is OK. It can give you time to attack or escape if you take damage while stealthed. Not gimmicky at all.

    Poison Gas is AWESOME. So many times I have been able to assassinate shard carriers and then poison gas everyone around me while I return it. Or when running stones on Scion getting jumped by a couple people, pop it and keep running into NPC's that will defend you.

    The fact that 90% of people don't know how to effectively use an ability does not make it gimmicky...it means they have no imagination.

  9. #9
    Telaran Valdoron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default This Build.

    I have mostly sin/bd/nb hybrid builds, been messing with them since I started playing this game, but for pvp specifically, I have found THE build of choice for me and I am having very much success and fun with it in WFs. It is a little lacking in damage compared to a sin/bd but the numerous gap closers, health buffs, and protection this build has to offer more than make up for the loss in damage.

    I would not have originally thought this a decent build but as it turns out, I am killing most mages, MMs, rangers, and dps warriors with this build.

    The build is 27 RS / 33 SIN / 6 RG. The idea is your basically glued to your target at all times due to the numerous plane shifts you get with RS, at the same time your taking way less damage than a typically squishy dps rogue. You still have slip away if things go sour, but they shouldn't if you've chosen the right target because plane shifting removes harmful effects as well so even after your target has blown their last CD, you are STILL on their *** hacking away. Plus, the 6 little points in ranger give you a ranged CP gen, plus a ranged finisher so if for some crazy reason they still got away from you, you can yet steal that last bit of health with your ranged attacks.

    Plenty of CDs, plenty of versatility, utility, amazing mobility, lacking in a bit of damage, but let's face it, the majority of a successful fight is mechanics and being able to stay on your target and counter CDs more than straight up damage. I mean after all, we are talking about pvp not pve.

    Lovin this build.
    Last edited by Valdoron; 06-09-2011 at 10:15 AM.

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    369

    Default

    I had a build like this before I hit 50 and while it was nice at times, the lack of range did hurt it a lot. With that being said, I made a new build the other day that I haven't really tested yet, that subs nb for sin, which gives you some range.

    The nightdancer: 44nb/22bd/0inf

    With this build you have a cooldown for everything. You have some heavy pressure damage. Good mobility. Good survival skills. Heal debuff. Ranged attacks. Stealth (though limited). It looks useful for every situation, except for short term burst damage. Your burst damage comes from ramp up time with this spec. But scourge, ebon fury, dusk strike spam, deadly strike, dusk strike spam is pretty strong.

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    86

    Default Nice Post

    I went down a similar road grabbing the further useful elements in BD such as the Disarm, Flash of Steel and Blade Tempo -

    It was fun at first - coming from main PvP souling a 51 Sin | 15 BD - but it lacked that Finish cluster PvP souls have.

    Don't you miss Serpent Strike? its phenominal with the Deadly Dance - especially since its off the GCD - it just improves burst potential if you asked me.

    Can you give us two scenario's as to how it out performs the typical PvP spec of today?

  12. #12
    Telaran Valdoron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default

    @ Sorrower... That's cool, i might try that. If your referring to my RS/Sin/Rg spec, I was explaining that it does have a range attack plus a finisher which is all you need in case they actually get away from you, which is extremely rare with this build. Anyways, just thought i'd share in case anyone wanted to give it a go. Its really a blast to play.
    Last edited by Valdoron; 06-09-2011 at 12:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Sin/BD has great PVP utility. Only problem is you can't kill someone with a pocket healer. I've run this build before, and it's fun to take Warriors apart, but you'll ragequit the warfront and respec the first time you have to fight a half-decent Warden or Chlorolock.
    Last edited by Ampere; 06-09-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Tnanever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    198

    Default

    I could have sworn I saw this exact build, including videos, made by someone else a few weeks ago. Sadly, I cannot find the post, nor the youtube videos. :\
    http://Sunrest-Exiled.com
    Conqueror: Greenscale's Blight | Conqueror: River of Souls | Gilded Prophecy: 4/4 | Hammerknell Fortress: 4/11 | Drowned Halls: 4/4 | Prestige: 6/8

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valdoron View Post
    @ Sorrower... That's cool, i might try that. If your referring to my RS/Sin/Rg spec, I was explaining that it does have a range attack plus a finisher which is all you need in case they actually get away from you, which is extremely rare with this build. Anyways, just thought i'd share in case anyone wanted to give it a go. Its really a blast to play.
    Actually, I was referring to the original build posted. With your build, I think I'd miss break free though. Right now, I'm also using the 51sin/15bd/0ranger build, and the lack of break free gets on my nerves, but the burst damage at least makes up for it, so I can tolerate it.

    I've tried RS/NB, and a not so common build of Sab/RS, which was actually kind of fun, but it was before I hit 50. I haven't tried the RS/sin version yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it, as I change stuff all the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts