+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MM or Ranger for ranged dps?

Shadowlander

Default MM or Ranger for ranged dps?

Ok been playing for a few days now and I'm about to roll ranged rogue (hunter, old habbits die hard )

One thing that confuses me is does it matter which tree/off tree I choose as my main? Aka: if I were to do a MM/Ranger spec, would it make any difference If I chose ranger vs chosing MM? With this split talent trees the way they are it seems like you pick damn near anything you want and rather slapdash your talents through 3 different trees. Likewise what kind of gear/stats will I be looking for. I'm assuming agility naturally. Mail? Strength?

I'd suggest Ranger first to have the pet tank. Both souls will have you slinging arrows with relatively similar results, but the Ranger tree is more consistent damage, sacrificing mobility and burst CDs.

You certainly can mix and match them for utility and more interesting rotations, but grabbing the escapes/mitigation/CC from other trees for cheap talent investments is probably a better idea for solo leveling. For example, you might want a stealth soul to bypass elite mobs while questing...

Shadowlander

Yeah I kinda noticed that, like the swift shot versus the quick shot, or the head shhot vs the deadeye shot. Both basically have the same effects and server the same function as openers/closers, but the other side effects differ depending on the shot and how you have it specced. For instance I think i'll go with the talented quick shot for the bleed effect but not the Imp. swift shot, since the effect wears off after a closer anyways and I can get much the same effect when needed using the Hasted Shot closer when needed.

From what I can see the Ranger soul tree is much like the Beast Master spec in the WoW hunter class, mainly for solo grinding and leveling, and the MM spec is just like the MM spec in WoW, heavy burst for pvp and a good raiding spec depending on what abilities you take. As for the 3rd tree, I was thinking along the lines of the Infiltrator soul tree for the 5/5 penetrating strikes and 5/5 knock knock talents wich would give me the Break Free and CLeanse SOul abilities for PVP. Not sure Cloudy Poison will do anything as I think poisons only work on mele weapons don't they?
    \

Rift Chaser

Either one works for leveling, but Ranger will be easier because you have the pig to tank for you. The pet also heals super fast out of combat and you should take little to no damage in normal fights.

MM can get away with kiting fairly easy, but in an area packed with mobs, kiting doesnt work too well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Shadowlander

Hmmm interesting. The talent calc showed me as being able to take the infiltrator tree but the game wont :P

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Fayrey View Post
    Hmmm interesting. The talent calc showed me as being able to take the infiltrator tree but the game wont :P
    You have to buy it with favor from doing PVP (warfronts). Also you can only spec into each tier if you have the corresponding tier in pvp rank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Shadowlander

AAAH ok yeah it was a very pvp oriented spec. I'll keep an eye out for that thanks

FYI, unfortunately if you like slinging arrows, Ranger spec is higher dps end game...

However, MM isn't awful so if you like it that much better then play that. Ranger is not like BM in WoW b/c even though it is the pet tree, the tree doesn't make your pet uber and you useless. Ranger is the highest of the two in potential dps output.

MM is more a pvp soul, it's a skirmisher and has many abilities allowing the bow user to move and shoot, however there are also good pve skills in there too (the pedestal for instance) so if you go Ranger/MM put enough points in MM to get it, think 17 or 18 something like that.

Shadowlander

Yeah I was noticing that. MM does seem to have a lot more pvp type oriented stuff. But for leveling up I typically go with a pvp build since I spend half my time in pvp anyways, it's more than good enough for mob farming and the dps is just fine for normal 5 man dungeons. Once I hit 50 i'll worry about a raid build, buy another soul build and switch a lot of talents out for pve ones.

Ascendant

Leveling as a marksman is the worst experience I ever had in Rift.
    Ranger/bard is awesome for leveling/solo'ing whatever you want to solo.

Marksman for pvp tho.

+ Reply to Thread