+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worth Tanking at low levels, or stay DPS?

Default Worth Tanking at low levels, or stay DPS?

I'm having a hard time Tanking at lvl 21, I die too fast for Healers to keep me up. Can someone reccomend a spec, or should I just wait till higher levels and go DPS for now?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelfear View Post
    I'm having a hard time Tanking at lvl 21, I die too fast for Healers to keep me up. Can someone reccomend a spec, or should I just wait till higher levels and go DPS for now?
    I've healed Rogue tanks just fine on my Mage and Cleric alts in rotf/IT. The biggest problem at that level is tanks that don't know how to get and hold agro.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelfear View Post
    I started Tanking from 18 onwards and its been great. (18 being when you get gaurdian phase which is essential)

For lvl 21 I think I had something like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McpV.x.xstbzoz.b. By 31 I had this build http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1McpV.x.xIthuozozoM.x

For trash/bill pulls i Pull with Shadowblitz, then Rift disturbance. That should give you plenty of initial threat on all mobs and some combo points to apply Rift gaurd, then stack Phantom blow for its debuff and apply gaurded steel.

We tend to be squishy on the initial pull so the Important thing for survivability is to get Rift Gaurd, Gaurded steel and the Phantom blow buffs up as quickly as possible and keep them up.

Then alternate Planar strike and Phantom blow to build points, and use Rift disturbance whenever its off cooldown for aoe threat. Rift Disturbance also applies a debuff on mobs to reduce their damage which helps.

Use side steps and Planar refuge cooldowns if healer is struggling.

Checking old screen shots - at 21 I had 2.3k health and at lvl 25 I had 3.1k health.
    Last edited by Yowzer; 06-08-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Ascendant

I started tanking at 18 and have been doing so ever since. It was fine all through RotF and IT, but then I hit a wall at DD. The trash in there hits like a truck, and until you get all your defensive stuff up you take an absolute hammering.

Its just a matter of knowing the zones and knowing which trash hits hardest, because lets be honest, the actual boss fights are about managing the movement and not standing in fires, they hit like fairies. I've healed a DSM fight from 60% (Our healer died) with nothing but necro transfers, so they're just not hard anymore...

From memory I went max points in Riftstalker until 18, then got my 8pts in bladedancer, then went back to everything in riftstalker and now I'm building up bard and riftstalker for hitpoints (I'm only 33, alts FTW). I've found I actually tank better than most warriors (although I suspect that has to do with player quality, not classes).
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Telaran

Always good to have a tank build set up, if you don't mind it taking up the slot. It makes it so you can find groups easier, and fill in if a tank dc's/rage quits.

Also, you can tank in dps gear while leveling, so you don't have to worry too much about that.
    Last edited by Twine; 06-08-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Yowzer View Post
    I started Tanking from 18 onwards and its been great. (18 being when you get gaurdian phase which is essential)

For lvl 21 I think I had something like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McpV.x.xstbzoz.b. By 31 I had this build http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1McpV.x.xIthuozozoM.x

For trash/bill pulls i Pull with Shadowblitz, then Rift disturbance. That should give you plenty of initial threat on all mobs and some combo points to apply Rift gaurd, then stack Phantom blow for its debuff and apply gaurded steel.

We tend to be squishy on the initial pull so the Important thing for survivability is to get Rift Gaurd, Gaurded steel and the Phantom blow buffs up as quickly as possible and keep them up.

Then alternate Planar strike and Phantom blow to build points, and use Rift disturbance whenever its off cooldown for aoe threat. Rift Disturbance also applies a debuff on mobs to reduce their damage which helps.

Use side steps and Planar refuge cooldowns if healer is struggling.

Checking old screen shots - at 21 I had 2.3k health and at lvl 25 I had 3.1k health.
    I pretty much ONLY tanked instances all the way to 50. Pretty much what Yowzer said.

Except I would go more this build @ 21:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McpV.xoz.xht0uozo

Also if the mobs are too spread out that you cant/might not be able to hit them all with shadow blitz, use shadow assault first and THEN once the mobs all run closer to you use shadow blitz followed by rift disturbance. Doing this can make some of the larger pulls much easier to keep aggro on.

EDIT: I went with 6% more healing instead of 6% reduced damage at your level because it will make more of a difference at your level where you cant really get both without sacrificing the mini rift guard on shift (which really helps out at the start of pulls before you get rift guard up).
    Last edited by Noburu; 06-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Rift Chaser

By level 31 I would go with something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....xIt0uRzozoR.o

Some people will argue planar switch is a waste, but it can be really helpful to swap combo points to the mob that you lose aggro on or to pick up a patrol. It also gives a combo point for 5 less energy than your other spam attacks.
    Last edited by Noburu; 06-08-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Ascendant

Personally I'd be using this, but then I play with stormcallers who have itchy trigger fingers and I get about half a picosecond after I pull before the Forked Lightnings start landing. I need the AoE agro, a few more hitpoints isn't going to be an issue (guild healer mostly)

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Personally I'd be using this, but then I play with stormcallers who have itchy trigger fingers and I get about half a picosecond after I pull before the Forked Lightnings start landing. I need the AoE agro, a few more hitpoints isn't going to be an issue (guild healer mostly)
    If non Sabs are opening up 100% the SECOND you pull nothing much is going to help. Also you really need the points in Bard at that level for the extra HP and armor.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Noburu View Post
    If non Sabs are opening up 100% the SECOND you pull nothing much is going to help. Also you really need the points in Bard at that level for the extra HP and armor.
    Horses for courses.

You need to hitpoints to make up for sub-par or newer healers. I need AoE agro to make up for agro-******, and I have a good healer to cover the rest. /shrug

+ Reply to Thread