+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I got some serious problems as a Rift stalker Tank...

Soulwalker

Default I got some serious problems as a Rift stalker Tank...

the title says the most really, I am tier 1 geared Tank... 116 Thoughness 21% Dodge 10% parry 8,9k HP. But when i enter an Tier 2 with guildies, some healers cant just keep me up, I fall like an dps. chloromance mages Cant, they just CANT keep me up, not even with a Bard offhealer. what is the problem?

I know my class that well as i keep rift guard up,Guard steel, and False blade. I just FALL and FALL and even more I FALL even harder. they cant keep me up.. this was in DD aswell mr.pain instance i'd say but still.

We got way too little ARMOR in my opinion so Trion please, PLEASE i beg you. let us get some more dodge, or Endurance or ARMOR boost our armor with at least 60%! without that phase. or set the phase to 100% more armor and not 50%. cus i see it pain when i'm supposed to tank and i cant be held up by even 2 healers.

so any conclusions? )

First, what's your spec? Are you 51RS/8BD/7RNG? Second, use your defensive cooldowns on trash all the time. Sidestep after you pull and it'll give the healer enough time to keep up with the damage you take while you're still getting your buffs up. Next pull, use Planar Refuge. Third pull use Scatter the Shadows. I made macros for my defensive cooldowns to let the healers know when they can catch a break to battle rez, move, regen mana, etc. They're very simple /cast ability /y Cooldown used 50% dodge for 15 sec. Third, make sure your healer isn't a window licker. Remind him that he has cooldowns too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimery View Post
    the title says the most really, I am tier 1 geared Tank... 116 Thoughness 21% Dodge 10% parry 8,9k HP. But when i enter an Tier 2 with guildies, some healers cant just keep me up, I fall like an dps. chloromance mages Cant, they just CANT keep me up, not even with a Bard offhealer. what is the problem?

I know my class that well as i keep rift guard up,Guard steel, and False blade. I just FALL and FALL and even more I FALL even harder. they cant keep me up.. this was in DD aswell mr.pain instance i'd say but still.

We got way too little ARMOR in my opinion so Trion please, PLEASE i beg you. let us get some more dodge, or Endurance or ARMOR boost our armor with at least 60%! without that phase. or set the phase to 100% more armor and not 50%. cus i see it pain when i'm supposed to tank and i cant be held up by even 2 healers.

so any conclusions? )
    Here is my conclusion, roll a warrior.

Sez

8.9k hp doesn't sound right, and your dodge sounds too high... I only have 19% unbuffed and I'm raid geared.

Something is fishy here.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Plane Walker

your sure you actually have you buffs up, aswell actually wearing the correct gear?

i say this because one of my guildies made that mistake in FC (i know its a T1) and didn't realise until just before the first boss....

Riftstalkers are very, very spikey.

Sometimes they take no damage and sometimes they take **** tons. That is why Chloros can have a very tough time keeping them up in 5-man content. Chlormancers are all about putting out a lot of steady healing; they really don't have very much burst healing because the only "o sh*t" buttons they have are Bloom, Ruin, and Essence Surge. Bloom and Ruin really don't put out much healing and Essence Surge is a gamble.

When you pop Bloom or Ruin you are using a GCD that gives you some decent healing, but if the damage the tank is taking remains spikey while you are casting that Vile Spores or Nature's Touch then the tank will get very low or die because you used that GCD on a spell that doesn't heal for as much. Essence Surge is similar because it debuffs you so you do 50% less damage for 12 seconds, which gimps your HPS, and can lead to a tank death anyway if the Riftstalker eats another spike in damage.

Chloros love healing Warriors and Cleric because their damage is much more steady so Chloros are perfect healers for them, but they struggle with Riftstalkers if they are even slightly undergeared or the Riftsalker is as well.

Another thing I have noticed is that Riftstalkers love blinking in whenever they please. If you don't tell your healer that you are going you will die, and it will be your fault.
    Introducing The Promise Deluxe Edition! Now with 88% more pretension and fighting paunch!

Soulwalker

You are running the fail Riftstalker build.

51RS/7BRD/8BD

Done.

Soulwalker

Your dodge seems too high, hp seems too low. It has been mentioned already but unless you have really good gear and know yer stuff stick to the tried and true builds.
    51rs/8bd/7rng ( my preferred)
    51rs/8bd/7brd

Soulwalker

Default ooh guys, haha

No actually i got 17% un buffed. and i am 51RS/8Blade dancer/7Bard. Should i go Ranger instead of Bladedancer? i know BD is more Avoidance but it seems like you Reacted on my dodge and my health, so Ranger over BD then? and I do pull, and i maybe forgot to use the cooldowns (--: ha but thanks guys! might be the problem for me then

Soulwalker

Default ooh wrong!

I said wrong. actually why RS/BD/RNG when RS/BD/BARD gives me more health? o.o

Rift Disciple

for one, don't do dd first, its the hardest for rogue tanks (that spiral with non stop creeps doesn't complement your aoe cds)

i use ranger instead of bard, but there is very little difference (i prefer the ranged pulling)

i have a feeling that you are forgetting phantom blow (2-6% dmg reduction), make sure you keep it up, my rotation is 3phantoms at start, then phantom as first cp bulding.

to check if you're healers are 'good' enough, when you are sub 20% usually you pop scatter (your healers should have you full at the end of it)

about chloromancers, try get on vent and time your cds appropriately (make sure they know what you have), but im not sure about it. when i was at your stage, my friend's chloro could keep me up no problem, but other people's couldn't.

Soulwalker

aaah, i see but the spiral wasnt a problem Really, but the mobs in general. it was like 1 pack just eated my health like snacks :P and i had BARD offhealer aswell so but lets see today with a new day tankin!

Trash is more brutal than bosses for Riftstalker tanking. You gotta use every trick in the book to make it work.

On trash packs where there's a lot of little melee mobs (RD's leeches, or IT), Side Steps is my favorite. Use it right before you blitz in and you're golden.

Use Rift Prison on stray casters and pull the rest of the mobs toward the rift prison. Not only does this reduce your incoming damage, but you can use the 6s when Rift Prison is up to go through a rotation and get one of your mitigation finishers up.

I prefer Ranger over Bard because the bow is a nice pull tool in a lot of places. You can get 2-3 CP's up and Rift Guard before the mobs get to you, then Shadow Blitz in and take it from there.

Use Planar Switch if you have to tab target to spread the hate or if you have to taunt a mob off. Don't let your CP's go to waste. You can also use Planar Switch as a ghetto emergency heal on a mob that's closer to dying than the rest of the pack. Toss it on and don't use a finisher and boom, 30% heal.

Most importantly, know your healer and watch their mana. If you know they're always ready to roll, chain pull from pack to pack. If you move at a good pace, you can keep all of your finishers up with no problems.

Practice makes awesome =)
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Grimery View Post
    No actually i got 17% un buffed. and i am 51RS/8Blade dancer/7Bard. Should i go Ranger instead of Bladedancer? i know BD is more Avoidance but it seems like you Reacted on my dodge and my health, so Ranger over BD then? and I do pull, and i maybe forgot to use the cooldowns (--: ha but thanks guys! might be the problem for me then
    Build is fine, but your gear makes no sense, how do you have under 9k health in full t1 gear? I was sitting on 10k self-buffed by the time I started t2s.

You don't want RS/Ranger/Bard. Only idiots do that. BD gives an extra cooldown, which you need.

So, when are you getting killed? On the pull? The thing to remember is to pop a cooldown at the start of any trash pull where you don't have both your finishers running. On a boss? You're probably ignoring some mechanics that you can't get out of. I've tanked every T2 and T1 many times, and I've never had any problems, so I'm really curious about what's happening.

(edit) The DD gauntlet is broken, go upstairs first and kill all the Mages. If you just go straight down, the mobs spawn far more often than they should, and they aggro on your healer from WAY across the screen (I was noticing mobs aggro'd to the heals from 50m away, last time I went in there). Wanna start tanking T2s, go someplace else. AP and CC are much better, and a lot less, fragile, let's say.
    Last edited by Ampere; 06-08-2011 at 12:43 AM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Rift Disciple

Just want to add something...

Are you using the benefits of Plane Shifting during pulls? Rift Barrier-Adds an absorption shield that lasts 15 seconds after plane shifting. This shield absorbs 15% of all incoming physical damage for up to 60% of your max health. This shield does not stack with rift guard and will not be applied if Rift guard is active.

Usually, when ever I pull a mob... even if I do not use plane shifting during the initial pull, right before they get to where I want to tank the trash, I plane shift. Basically, this is not as good as the benefits of improved rift guard, but it allows me gain a combo point if I use Shadow Blitz or Shadow Assault, then I can use phantom blow 2 times, (using 3 combo points) into Guarded Steel.... Then use phantom blow once more and gain an additional 2 combo points or if I feel I can take the damage get the 5 combo points and put improved rift guard up.

But usually I use these in rotation or try to during the initial pull...

Shadow Blitz (Gain Rift Barrier +1cp) -> Phantom Blow (+2cp) Guarded Steel (-3cp) -> Phantom Blow (+1cp) Planar Strikex2 (+2cp) -> Rift Guard (-3cp) -> Phantom Blow (+1cp) -> Twin Strike x2 (+2cp) -> False Blade (-3cp) -----> Then start rotating Rift Guard (5cp), Guarded Steel (5cp), and False Blade (5cp).... I use a aoe taunt macro, but also have a dps macro for very quick combo points if I have threat and want to start using annihilate during my rotations.
    Last edited by Maguson; 06-08-2011 at 03:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast