+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outrageously amazing and fun Pre-50 PVP and farming build for rogues

Default Outrageously amazing and fun Pre-50 PVP and farming build for rogues

Hey all I wanted to share a great fun farming and PVP spec Iíve been using on my lil rogue.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MciN.Vckqdkko.m.xhk

This build is incredibly strong in that you can heal and buff your entire team while dealing out range dps to finish off flag/fang carriers, enemy healers, etc. It can solo great but works best in a team. I am frequently in the top 4-10 DPS dealers as well in the top 3 for healing. Several times I have netted the top healer position.

People regard rogue heal abilities as carptastic, however you have 3 heals which can help keep your team topped off, even if you canít truly focus heal. And given so many people refuse to run healing builds because theyíre afraid of being attacked, you donít have to worry. With this build, you can fight back easily, and usually win. If you're being focus fired you have tools to escape or survive until help gets there.

One key to this buildís strength is Motif of Regeneration, which you will receive at level 24. However you can still utilize a build like this with 0 pts in ranger and less in bard, pre 29 or even pre level 24.

Iím in green gear and yet this build is very strong; Iíve soloíd critters in PVE 3-4 levels above me, and warriors in PVP usually run Ė but canít get away due to my speed, snare, etc.

I canít say if this build will scale well or how it may change in the future, but dropping ranger for Marksman at some point may prove quite attractive for runspeed and aoe. Riftstalker looks nice with the teleports. For now though I really enjoy the healing, buffing, stealthing, range dps, and pet.

Iím not at home so Iím putting these macros up from memory- check for typos if necessary, I wonít be able to edit this post past 5 min.

Keep your dire wolf pet on passive and use macros to command him.

Cadence macro (solo/group heals):

#show cadence
    suppressmacrofailures
    petattack
    petcast maul
    petcast bite
    cast cadence

Notes: This will send your pet in and use cadence for self/group heals at 20 meters.

DPS single target melee+range macro:

#show crippling shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    petattack
    petcast maul
    petcast bite
    cast primal strike
    cast power chord
    cast splinter shot
    cast crippling shot
    cast quickshot

Notes: This is a combination melee range/point builder/debuff effect/DPS macro. Use it for higher damage/point building whenever Cadence isnít needed to heal yourself, your pet, or your group. It will automatically switch to melee range, bard 20m range, or ranger 27 range depending where your target is on the battlefield.

Notes2: Iím considering getting rid of power chord, it does low damage, although for now Iím keeping it for point building to get finishers.

Note3: I use crippling shot as an icon so you will know when you can snare a target once per 10 sec.

DPS single target finisher:

#show head shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast blazing strike
    cast head shot

Notes: This is a melee and range finisher. I chose Blazing Strike over Coda of wrath because if Coda was in here it would effectively only fire off head shot if your target was over 20+ range. Although I need to do testing to determine if Head Shot will fire off in melee range because the tool tip says -27 range and NOT 3-27 range. If it fires off in melee range I can opt to remove blazing; depending if I want to do elemental or physical damage.

Core hotkeys/bar setup:

F1 Anthem of Competence
    F2 Anthem of Defiance
    F3 Anthem of Glory
    F4 Divert Rage

1 Cadence macro
    2 DPS single target macro
    3 DPS single target finisher macro
    4 Coda of restoration finisher
    5-8 Motif of Regeneration, tenacity, focus, bravery
    0 Conceal (stealth)
    + Hotkeyed heal potion for emergencies; usually only needed when you are being focus fired or are carrying the fang.

This build has many more abilities than listed here however the above are the core ones. While stealthed your hotbar changes so you will want to drag all your keys to it as well.

Using the build in PVE/farming:

Strum all your motifís 5, 6, 7, 8 and then open up with your range DPS macro 2. Build points, do damage, and use damage finisher 3 or heal finisher 4 as needed.

Switch to cadence if youíre having health issues during the fight, but you shouldnít. This build is very strong and I soloíd a critter 4 levels above me this morning without a sweat. A few days ago I took on 4-5 even level critters, but I was using the razorbeast at the time which has taunt. Wish I had some AOE attacks other than the AOE bard finisher so I could build an AOE rotation but have to wait on a higher level revision.

If you want your pet to take agro you can always F4 divert rage. I could get anal and switch the anthem to Defiance or Glory but usually I just leave it on runspeed in PVE for kiting and just cause Iím lazy.

Using the build in PVP:

This is where the build absolutely shines. When you enter a warfront, buff your team with fanfare (I use str/dex over endurance for dps), put on anthem of competence so you reach goals sooner.

As you approach the first main fight (in Codex this will be the codex, in Black Garden this will be the fang area) you want to switch your anthem to either magic resist F2 or extra armor F3 depending on the enemy team makeup. Take note if it is melee heavy or if it has some very competent nukers and make a decision. If you are not overly having trouble with either, then run anthem of competence so your support can kite when needed.

Next you want to strum 5, 6, 7, 8 to get all your motifís going for 30 seconds.

Now STEALTH by pressing 0, and relocate yourself to some hidden nook on the battlefield where you are in range to cadence and dps. I made my rogue a dwarf intentionally so I would be small and hard to see. I donít wear flashy colors and I look rather unimpressive. People make the mistake of not regarding me as a threat very often.

Your team now has an invisible buffer/healer waiting to pounce. The enemy team will choose targets and begin attacking and you will be ignored for a while in the ensuing mayhem. Great, thatís our signal to get to workÖ

I basically switch between cadence heals, dps, damage, or heal finisher depending what is needed at any time. Keep a good eye on your motifís, as soon as they are gonna drop, re-apply them.

Use your abilities against priority targets to interrupt, attack, and heal. Here are some examples:
    • An enemy chasing/focus firing your fang carrier or main healer.
    • An enemy holding the fang.
    • An enemy attempting to pick up the fang or secure a flag location in codex.
    • Finishing off an enemy at low life, because the sooner you begin to whittle down enemy numbers, the sooner a victory is ensured.
    • Enemy support/healers or high damage range DPS who can focus fire key team members.
    • All other targets after these.

You will be an incredible asset to your team using this build and it is very effective. Most my leveling has been done in warfronts and I donít need to worry about going in there at the lowest level when as a warrior I was leveling I would have to wait so I wasnít cannon fodder.

I am not an experienced rogue/bard so I appreciate any tips from higher levels/more experienced bards. Thank you for reading/commenting, and enjoy. I will post updates to spec/rotation as I experiment and learn.

Rift Disciple

pre 50... i was ready to flame the hell out of the OP... but yeah, pre 50 rogues were great

Soulwalker

Glad you're having fun, that's what it's all about.

Unfortunately I found my bard started to be less and less fun when I got 30+ At that point burst damage from just about everyone could out pace my healing abilities unless I popped Virtuoso.

I'm determined to pvp bard, despite everyone hating on them, so I've decided to combo it with deep riftstalker and a bladedancer to deadly dance. I cadence combo points, shift in, deadly strike, and then pump out large cadence, meanwhile generating wards.

It's gone much better for me, but I haven't decided if I should attribute the mobility to keeping me alive or the wards - I guess both.

nothing wrong with posting a cool pre-50 spec. especially with an in-depth guide like this. plenty of pre-50 rogues on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    nothing wrong so long as the title isnt so misleading... if he said what lvl on title i would be fine and would never have clicked or read the post... but he didnt and mislead me here. that is why i did not give a nice reply.
    Just because you assumed it was for level 50 doesn't mean the OP did anything wrong. Just means you assumed wrong and you should never assume things. I dont need to repeat the old saying.

actually I did notice and try to edit after I posted but 5 minutes had passed.

Rift Chaser

Anyways, to the OP, glad you're having fun. Bard is definitely a good soul to play pre-50. Sure beats the ******ed melee rogues who end up in the bottom tenth of the team's damage while spending all game crying about their team having no heals.

(To be clear, a well played melee rogue is actually quite good, but I think we all know the type of melee rogue I'm talking about here.)
    Last edited by Walsingham; 06-08-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Slight insult

Plane Touched

unconcerned with pre-50 pvp/farming builds.
    Threads like this are actually valuable to new players that aren't in level 50 farm mode on a class. The rogue forum in particular is horribly bad on pre 50 anything.

A more correct title would have been useful for both those who arn't interested in pre-50 stuff and those who would be.

However, this isn't Marketing Discussion. ;p

Soulwalker

glad you are having fun thanks for the in depth break down of how you play this class, altough I am unlikely to use this I have taken various useful things from your explanation, thank you

misleading title is misleading.

correct title would have had me skip over it.
    Well it is a correct title. He didnt say it was a 50-build. Only that it is a PvP-farming-build. Therefor he is correct and its not missleading.
    Were you so heartbroken that you had to post a moan-post...wow. I guess you had been looking all night for a pvp-build-thread and was so sad when you finally found one and it was a lower lvl one...sob sob.

Ppl like YOU are the ones that ruin the forums...not ppl like the OP that brings ideas and are telling ppl he enjoy things.
    So bug off pls !

Here's a video of me using the build in codex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIP-QubiwzE

I always start off by grabbing power up. For some reason sheeple guardians don't grab it. So I get it, more damage = bigger cadence heals.

Approach drop down and throw up my motif's, stealth into position.

Break stealth by using motifs and start doling out the cadence and other heals.

We retake codex. I screw up a couple times letting motifs drop. But thats why I made the vid so I can learn from it too

I think the best fight was in the vault. I take over the vault, notice 2 guys comin and hide so they don't see me and both come. Then after that people keep filtering in. I almost croak here but manage to stay alive and throw out heals to tip the balance and keep others alive.

We take the codex from losing to winning.

I am ready to be flamed again. How dare I help low level rogues to level or have fun.
    Last edited by Hodor; 06-09-2011 at 06:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread