+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Assassin Rogue - Being Kited

Soulwalker

Angry Assassin Rogue - Being Kited

I am a level 31 assassin rogue. In any pvp encounter with a ranged class i have to be able to kill the target before foul play wears off (assuming DR didnt make them immune) or else they simply use some form of knockback/cc on me and start jumping away from me. From there i either chase them around and hope they run into a wall or something so i can catch them, or i just simply try and get away before they kite me to death.

Ive tried some other secondary soul trees to try and help with this issue... but so far nothing has been of much use.
    Ive tried going riftstalker as a second soul for the teleport but it very rarely puts me perfectly in melee range of them and even if it does they usually get away anyway.

What can i do to prevent being kited around as assassination spec? Should i take MM for swift shot? does that even help much? Are there better options?

Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by theNightman; 06-07-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Rift Disciple

I'm very happy with my high sin and 0 ranger spec. Quickshot and Headshot are decent damage for when I can't get into melee range.

Soulwalker

as an assassin you are most certainly prone to getting kited. With diminishing returns its hard sometimes to lock someone down in a wf. I usually open with jagged strike from stealth i just like that they still get hurt on their initial run. I always try first to use malicious strike and hope it works, if not i chose riftstalker as one of my other souls. a well timed shift catches you up quite quickly along with all the other bleeds and stuff their usually not a full health thats when i use my foul play and once again hope =p but even if it doesnt usually the extra attacks i get of when closing the gap a second time is enough to bring them down i have seen several other ways people deal with the issue tho. ive seen a sin with sab as a class just for that sticky trap thing, but thats all i know about that. Hope this helps!

Rift Disciple

Silly question, but just to be sure, you are throwing a Malicious Strike on them, right?

Unless they have On the Double up, that should be plenty. If they do have On the Double up, and it's improved, then they break the snare and become immune for 5 seconds, but by the time most get around to that, you have Jagged, Puncture, Impale and a couple stacks of Serrated on them.

Then you can just LoS them until they either chase you or you drop combat and re-stealth.

Full disclosure: I am only 36 in the 30s bracket, I am sure it's much more difficult in 50s.

Champion of Telara

3rd soul = 0 pt ranger.

Make 2 macros if you do not have them already.

1st macro on Savage Strike.

#show Savage Strike
    supressmacrofailures
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Quick Shot

#show Final Blow
    supressmacrofailures
    cast Final Blow
    cast Head Shot

When you are in melee range, you will use your melee abilities. When you aren't in melee range, these macros will make it so you automatically use your ranged abilities.

Also you might consider going BD as a 2nd soul, and then getting the 21pts in it for Flash of Steel. It's a warrior like charge that roots people and can be used in combat.
    Last edited by perlfreak; 06-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by perlfreak View Post
    3rd soul = ranger.

Make 2 macros if you do not have them already.

1st macro on Savage Strike.

#show Savage Strike
    supressmacrofailures
    cast Savage Strike
    cast Quick Shot

#show Final Blow
    supressmacrofailures
    cast Final Blow
    cast Head Shot

When you are in melee range, you will use your melee abilities. When you aren't in melee range, these macros will make it so you automatically use your ranged abilities.

Also you might consider going BD as a 2nd soul, and then getting the 21pts in it for Flash of Steel. It's a warrior like charge that roots people and can be used in combat.
    Yep, 0 Ranger for Quick Shot and Head Shot.

Go zero in MM. Swift shot gives you a stacking run buff.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayden Fox View Post
    Except the fact that you are usually snared while being kited so the 15% doesn't do ****.

Oh, and the fact that 0MM has no Ranged finisher like 0 Ranger does.

Or if you can spare, 2 pts MM for the 30% speed finisher.

There is no diminishing returns on increasing your speed, and there's no jumping glitch that will save them.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nefai View Post
    Silly question, but just to be sure, you are throwing a Malicious Strike on them, right?

Unless they have On the Double up, that should be plenty. If they do have On the Double up, and it's improved, then they break the snare and become immune for 5 seconds, but by the time most get around to that, you have Jagged, Puncture, Impale and a couple stacks of Serrated on them.

Then you can just LoS them until they either chase you or you drop combat and re-stealth.

Full disclosure: I am only 36 in the 30s bracket, I am sure it's much more difficult in 50s.
    Yes i use Malicious strike, But most people have some sort of ability to remove snares. Sometimes it works, but most of the time they break it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Id never thought to go ranger, and just range them to death once they get away. Ill give that a shot.

Was looking at the specs again and i was wondering if combining MM - 0 and Nightblade - 11 would work any better?

Using swift shot to gain some ground while gathering combo points and then using flame thrust as a ranged finisher.

Of course that would mean i wouldnt have infiltrator which is probably a mistake.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaeranth View Post
    Except the fact that you are usually snared while being kited so the 15% doesn't do ****.

Oh, and the fact that 0MM has no Ranged finisher like 0 Ranger does.
    A fairly insignificant difference. You should be saving those points for a melee finisher as you may only get in range for a few moments. If you're going to be reliant on ranged damage, just role a ranged spec. The OP was concerned with closing gaps. If there's a gap, Swift Shot at the bottom of a macro will fire off and you'll run faster. Still no there? Fire again, now you're even faster. Repeat until you can put the pointy end of your sword in the bad guy.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

A fairly insignificant difference. You should be saving those points for a melee finisher as you may only get in range for a few moments. If you're going to be reliant on ranged damage, just role a ranged spec. The OP was concerned with closing gaps. If there's a gap, Swift Shot at the bottom of a macro will fire off and you'll run faster. Still no there? Fire again, now you're even faster. Repeat until you can put the pointy end of your sword in the bad guy.
    With a combination of R1 armor + Auction house epics + R4 daggers opening with Paralyzing -> Puncture -> Back Stab -> Sperpent Strike -> Foul Play -> Jagged Srike, the target is coming out of the 2 stuns at around 30-40% health with a full round of DoT's ticking.

You then finish them with Quick Shot/Head Shot.

Using this build and this tactic I have gone from R1-R5 and never once thought "oh man, I lost that fight because I totally got kited due to the limitations of this spec".

If I lose a fight to kiting then either the other player drank a potion, got help, was far better geared, I got outplayed, or made some type of mistake.

Using this build and this tactic I have gone from R1-R5 and never once thought "oh man, I lost that fight because I totally got kited due to the limitations of this spec".

If I lose a fight to kiting then either the other player drank a potion, got help, was far better geared, I got outplayed, or made some type of mistake.
    With the 2 in MM, I have yet to have anyone outrun/escape me (although rogues still Slip Away on me), and I, personally, have found it very important to be in melee for taking down the healers, although I can't speak for everyone's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Virchow View Post
    With the 2 in MM, I have yet to have anyone outrun/escape me (although rogues still Slip Away on me), and I, personally, have found it very important to be in melee for taking down the healers, although I can't speak for everyone's experience.
    The difference being you just spent 2 points in a tree that give you almost no benefit for a finisher which deals nearly identical damage to the finisher I spent 0 point in.

Also, if you are playing 51 sin, placing 2 points into MM means you can't get Anathema from the Inf tree.

So now you are placing 2 points into either ranged shots you dont use, extra range you dont need (in the MM tree) and losing Anathema for a ranged finisher which gives you a run speed buff you will be too snared to use effectively anyhow.

I just can't imagine that some of you guys think this through.

Also, if you are playing 51 sin, placing 2 points into MM means you can't get Anathema from the Inf tree.

So now you are placing 2 points into either ranged shots you dont use, extra range you dont need (in the MM tree) and losing Anathema for a ranged finisher which gives you a run speed buff you will be too snared to use effectively anyhow.

I just can't imagine that some of you guys think this through.
    I suppose, I should respond by saying that I, sadly, don't find Anathema to be very effective in the WFs I've been involved in. Perhaps that's just my experience.

As I mentioned before, I do use the damage and the finisher, and to date, no one has outrun me to safety.

This is just an option for someone looking for advice, an option that I have found solves a problem he was having.
    Last edited by Virchow; 06-07-2011 at 11:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast