+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Myth de-bunking

  1. #1
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,380

    Default Myth de-bunking

    Was thinking it might be helpful to have a thread dedicated to debunking common misconceptions about how stats/items/abilities work. Since people often ask questions like "Does weapon speed effect ability damage?" I figured this could be useful.

    I'll start it off with one I've heard. It doesn't seem to be the case from my (very limited) testing, but I'm curious where it comes from and if there is any truth to it.

    I've been told that some rogue souls are bugged and use offhand weapon dps to calculate ability damage, specifically Nightblade. This should be really easy to test in theory, but as I generally stick to ranged specs, I've never bothered.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    I've been told that some rogue souls are bugged and use offhand weapon dps to calculate ability damage, specifically Nightblade. This should be really easy to test in theory, but as I generally stick to ranged specs, I've never bothered.
    Interesting. I know that Quick Strike and Precision Strike from Blade Dancer do use your offhand weapon to calculate damage, but that is intentional. I've never tested other abilities to see if they are bugged in that manner.

    Should be pretty easy to test though... Use two weapons with different DPS. Have the higher DPS one in your mainhand, the lower DPS one in offhand. See what your abilities crit for on the dummy with no procs/buffs/debuffs/etc. Then switch the weapons and see if your crits hit for more damage or less damage.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Interesting. I know that Quick Strike and Precision Strike from Blade Dancer do use your offhand weapon to calculate damage, but that is intentional. I've never tested other abilities to see if they are bugged in that manner.

    Should be pretty easy to test though... Use two weapons with different DPS. Have the higher DPS one in your mainhand, the lower DPS one in offhand. See what your abilities crit for on the dummy with no procs/buffs/debuffs/etc. Then switch the weapons and see if your crits hit for more damage or less damage.
    unless otherwise stated your off hands damage has no impact on your skills damage. grab 2 grey daggers from a vendor and give it a shot.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Using two gray daggers will not prove or disprove the rumor/myth that some attacks incorrectly use your offhand DPS to calculate damage rather than your mainhand. Using one high DPS weapon and one gray weapon, then switching them, would.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Using two gray daggers will not prove or disprove the rumor/myth that some attacks incorrectly use your offhand DPS to calculate damage rather than your mainhand. Using one high DPS weapon and one gray weapon, then switching them, would.
    sorry 2 grey weapon for your off hand slot that are different DPS. you can get one that is 2.2 and one that is 7.5 and see that there is no difference in your damage with either in your off hand.. Anything green or higher generally has stats which would alter dmg.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyth View Post
    sorry 2 grey weapon for your off hand slot that are different DPS. you can get one that is 2.2 and one that is 7.5 and see that there is no difference in your damage with either in your off hand.. Anything green or higher generally has stats which would alter dmg.
    and just switching the hands the weapons(ones with stats and different dps) are in won't magically make the stats disappear... the test will still be done with the same stats... just different dps in MH/OH

  7. #7
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Takemikadzuchi View Post
    and just switching the hands the weapons(ones with stats and different dps) are in won't magically make the stats disappear... the test will still be done with the same stats... just different dps in MH/OH
    ITT: People who don't know how to test stuff.

    Ok, the question is if the offhand weapon affects abilities. In order to test this, you have to isolate the offhand weapon. Therefore, you KEEP YOUR MAIN HAND THE SAME and switch your offhand between 2 grey daggers with different DPS ratings. Both have 0 stats on them, so that the stats don't affect anything. Everything else stays the same this way and you've isolated the only change in your setup to be your offhand DPS.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched Soull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    218

    Default

    the bug still exists if you have a slow MH, and a fast OH, and you swap them while in combat, your abilities will do more damage.

    just tested with abyssal hatchet and blade of the architect. spamming keen strike with hatchet in main hand, i was critting for 432 damage. if i swapped to hatchet OH and architect MH, keen strike would crit for 496. so swapping weapons during testing while in combat might yield different results if you have different speed weapons.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    187

    Default

    the ability will say if it calculates in offhand or outright uses offhand damage

  10. #10
    RIFT Guide Writer Hokonoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    quick strike, precision strike, and twin strike are the only attacks that i know of that use your offhand to calculate your dmg.

    where do these theories come from???
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

  11. #11
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    quick strike, precision strike, and twin strike are the only attacks that i know of that use your offhand to calculate your dmg.

    where do these theories come from???
    That was my point. I came right out and said that this example is very easy to test, but I was hoping other common rumors and myths could be put in here and explained as well.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidivan View Post
    ITT: People who don't know how to test stuff.

    Ok, the question is if the offhand weapon affects abilities. In order to test this, you have to isolate the offhand weapon. Therefore, you KEEP YOUR MAIN HAND THE SAME and switch your offhand between 2 grey daggers with different DPS ratings. Both have 0 stats on them, so that the stats don't affect anything. Everything else stays the same this way and you've isolated the only change in your setup to be your offhand DPS.
    Using your normal mainhand and a gray offhand, then swapping them, does the same thing.

    ITT: People arguing over dumb stuff.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyth View Post
    Anything green or higher generally has stats which would alter dmg.
    I went through this testing Paragon.. get some mage swords where the stats are Int/Wis/SP.. I assume rogues can use them too?

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Upright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    135

    Default

    To debunk anything you need to come prepared with concrete data, analysis and empirical evidence.

  15. #15
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Upright View Post
    To debunk anything you need to come prepared with concrete data, analysis and empirical evidence.
    Right. Again, that was my point.

    I was simply trying to make a thread where people can address the questions we see pop up often concerning mechanics or check with the community regarding rumors and half-truths.

    But I guess that was a bad idea. So, never mind!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts